Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1904 USPI 20 Centavos with great color!

The color on this coin almost looks like whats typically found on proof coinage. Especially with the highly reflective surfaces underneath the pretty colors. With a mintage of just 11,000 or so, I guess that the dies were fresh enough to have spit out a large number (proportional to all 11,000 emmisions) of proof-like pieces. The coin rests in an NGC 63 tomb.

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin and luster!!
  • Options
    gecko, just because it has been slabbed as a regular issue does not mean it isn't a proof. According to Justhavingfun and other US-Philippine collector, proofs have been slabbed as circualtion strikes, and visa versa. There is a post from several years ago that discusses diagnostics for the 1903 and 1904 proof coinage (which were the years that proofs and circulation strikes were made at the same mint), and here is a link to that post.

For what it is worth, your coin appears to have a shot at it. Also, I submitted a 1904 Centavo to PCGS last year as a circulation stike, (thinking it might have a shot at MS66). It came back graded PR65RB and is now in the possession of Jetblack74Oil, as the result of a trade that made us both happy.

One other thing to keep in mind about the 1904 proof issues is that a number of them were purposely put into circulation, so there are a lot of PR50's through PR60's out there, and I have seem a few with some pretty nasty scratches.

Personally, I would probably challenge the designation, based upon the pictures you have supplied.
  • Options
    Kano...great read on proofs vs. uncs! After closely looking at my coin, I dont think it has those "hammered" features described on the proof coins. Most notably the eagle's chest, as well as the side of the mountain. I have to conclude that its most likely just a plain ole business strike with above average toning. Is there a big difference in price on this example anyway between the 2 methods of strike?
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    Proof or unc its a beauty.
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Very nice.
  • Options
    Not a big difference in price, but the difference that does exist favors circulation strikes over proof, given similar grades, such as PR60/MS60, PR63/MS63 and PR65/MS65. In such cases, the circulation stike will command a premium, due to conditional rarities abounding throughout all US-PI dates and denominations, at least for the Pre-Commonwealth era (prior to 1936).
  • Options
    Could this coin be sold at around $250 in your opinion?
  • Options
    If it is MS63, then maybe $250 and certainly $200. If it is a slightly better MS64, or it gets slabbed by PCGS as MS63, then yes, $250 would be a reasonable expectation.

If you were to follow coinpictures' method of selling, then you might list it for $250 Or Best Offer, with the idea of accepting any offer over $200. That is, if you think the coin is borderline Choice.

I believe the toning is undeniably natural, and very attractive, and to many collectors that can push a coin's value up by a grade or even two in their own minds, so $250 is not out of the question. It would be on the high side for raw MS63 though.

All of the above is simply my opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>If it is MS63, then maybe $250 and certainly $200. If it is a slightly better MS64, or it gets slabbed by PCGS as MS63, then yes, $250 would be a reasonable expectation.

If you were to follow coinpictures' method of selling, then you might list it for $250 Or Best Offer, with the idea of accepting any offer over $200. That is, if you think the coin is borderline Choice.

I believe the toning is undeniably natural, and very attractive, and to many collectors that can push a coin's value up by a grade or even two in their own minds, so $250 is not out of the question. It would be on the high side for raw MS63 though.

All of the above is simply my opinion. >>

It currently sits in an NGC fatty as an MS63. It no longer fits with the direction my collecting is going, so I want to place it with someone who may appreciate it a bit more. I also dont want to get "hurt" on the coin either in terms of money. I have $240 into this coin.
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

<< There is a post from several years ago that discusses diagnostics for the 1903 and 1904 proof coinage (which were the years that proofs and circulation strikes were made at the same mint), >>

One more addition:

The 1905 proof centavos and circulation strike centavos were also made at the same mint.

Krueger

• Options
    You might try reaching out to these collectors who need that particular coin in their registry sets, and one of them appears to be starting up a registry set of Gold 1/20oz China Panda Coins

JAA USA/Philippines Collection
    JAA's 20 Centavos NGC Registry Set

manyla
    manyla's USA-Philippines Complete

Here is an overview of allthe USA-Philippines Complete sets. Perhaps you might find someone in that list who wished to buy your coin outright, or perhaps trade something you want for it. It has worked for me when I had a coin of a higher grade than someone else, and then I offered to trade it for a US-PI Circulation strike.

You will also find me among the group, but I am acquiring most of mine raw and as cheaply as possible, then "making" them myself by submitting to PCGS. I have many more raw coins waiting to be certified, but at over $20 a pop, I am going to need to sell a bit on ebay just to raise the submission fees, and hope that one of them doesn't come back body bagged for being "cleaned" like last time. For the life of me, I couldn't see what caused them to object, so I may send it in again, or I might just send it over to NGC instead. That was a 1904 50 Centavos, and I thought it had a shot at MS65.

If you can't take the chance with an auction, then put it out there Buy It Now with "Or Best Offer". Advertise "20 Ctvs Attractive Rainbow Coloring NGC MS63" in the title, set Buy It Now at $275 and be will to accept a Best Offer of $240 or $250.

Otherwise, put it up in the weekly Buy Sell Trade thread, and state the type of coin or coins you would consider in trade. Personally, I am strapped for any larger purchases right now, and I would only scrape up that sort of money if I thought I could win in an auction that was clearly worth at least 50% more. Like the 1907 Ten Centavos I just got today for total cost (including shipping) $7.23, but it took some acetone to remove the gunk that kept others from bidding. It is now at least AU58 and books at $45 in MS60, which it might be. That is the only way I have been able to accumulate what I do have.