Home Precious Metals
Options

why didn't we see this, I think that was the title

A good video on charting and the steps of manias, with future projections.

Here: Text
NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The voice on that video and the name of the entity are very familiar. I'd be very wary. I heard him mention his name Kirk, but is it our buddy Jay?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not Jayimage
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the opening chart, where it shows the emotional changes during the run, look like the current gold chart? Is gold at the "return to normal" stage?

I have no idea who this guy is, but since I stole a chart from his webpage I may as well give him credit. Maybe an interesting read as well.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Personally I think we are just getting past that first bear trap in both gold and silver.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <I have no idea who this guy is, but since I stole a chart from his webpage I may as well give him credit. Maybe an interesting read as well>

That "chart" is an instant classic. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Does the opening chart, where it shows the emotional changes during the run, look like the current gold chart? Is gold at the "return to normal" stage?

I have no idea who this guy is, but since I stole a chart from his webpage I may as well give him credit. Maybe an interesting read as well. >>

Looking only at a 10 year gld monthly It looks like we are either at the trough of the bull trap or we have reached the return to the mean area. Please tell me which one it is.
    I understand what the gentleman who said we are at the bear trap stage, because in the overall scheme of things we may be just at the beginning of another major run up in the PM's thats if we are not at the trough of the bull trap. If thats the case then we have a longer wait. So... somebody get this figured out for us. image
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Lot's of people have opinions, and some even have charts, but no one knows where PM's are going (except the JP Morgue who will push them wherever they want them). The current darlings of the PM world are, by and large, only right because they have been permabulls in PM's and saying gold/silver was going higher. If you keep saying it long enough you are bound to be right at some point. That, in my mind, does not make them the keeper of esoteric investment knowledge.

The chart is indeed a classic and not something new. This has been the way of investment cycles since there have been investments. When silver was going up 3-5%+ a day some of the people on the board warned this was classic tulip mania, and got hammered by the youngsters who have not been through multiple investment cycles, that we were just anti-PM's. When silver was hitting its highs in the spring the smart money was already on the sidelines, they got in at $3-10 and out at 35-36, most of them did not get greedy and try to grab the last few dollars of the rush.

One thing I hope everyone will keep in mind the next time some investment guru tells you it's different this time... it isn't. They are either delusional of lying to you. The modern world has been through this all before, we've seen hyperinflation, we've seen stagflation, we've seen countries goe bankrupt. The world keeps right on turning and the cyces keep right on running. The permabulls are telling you now gold is going to 4000 or 5000, and they are right, eventually...you just have to have a long enough time line. Personally I'll start accumulating again when gold is $1300-1400, silver below 28. It may never happen because I don't have a clue where it is going, it could indeed keep going striaght to the moon. But equally it could crash back to 1990's levels and stay there another 10 years.
  • Options
    Does the opening chart, where it shows the emotional changes during the run, look like the current gold chart? Is gold at the "return to normal" stage?

Maybe its just me, but I see a lot of similarities. The "stealth phase in 2002-05". "Awareness phase" from 05-08. Bear trap in 2008 when gold dropped 30%. The the public attention phase this Spring and Summer--thats all I hear on the news. Heck, the first page of this forum was "gold new highs". Now topics stay on the first page for days and days. Also sensing "denial" right now.

Im not saying gold is going to collapse, just that my "read or emotions" on the market is very similar to the "bubble" chart.

• Options

<< <i>Lot's of people have opinions, and some even have charts, but no one knows where PM's are going (except the JP Morgue who will push them wherever they want them). The current darlings of the PM world are, by and large, only right because they have been permabulls in PM's and saying gold/silver was going higher. If you keep saying it long enough you are bound to be right at some point. That, in my mind, does not make them the keeper of esoteric investment knowledge.

The chart is indeed a classic and not something new. This has been the way of investment cycles since there have been investments. When silver was going up 3-5%+ a day some of the people on the board warned this was classic tulip mania, and got hammered by the youngsters who have not been through multiple investment cycles, that we were just anti-PM's. When silver was hitting its highs in the spring the smart money was already on the sidelines, they got in at $3-10 and out at 35-36, most of them did not get greedy and try to grab the last few dollars of the rush.

One thing I hope everyone will keep in mind the next time some investment guru tells you it's different this time... it isn't. They are either delusional of lying to you. The modern world has been through this all before, we've seen hyperinflation, we've seen stagflation, we've seen countries goe bankrupt. The world keeps right on turning and the cyces keep right on running. The permabulls are telling you now gold is going to 4000 or 5000, and they are right, eventually...you just have to have a long enough time line. Personally I'll start accumulating again when gold is $1300-1400, silver below 28. It may never happen because I don't have a clue where it is going, it could indeed keep going striaght to the moon. But equally it could crash back to 1990's levels and stay there another 10 years. >>

This time it IS different. Europe is in the throes of complete financial meltdown, and the U.S. is right behind, along with Japan as well. When the world's 2 or 3 most important currencies go belly-up, what will the masses turn to if not metals?

The world's financial system is simply unsustainable. And because metals are valued in those unsustainable currencies, there really is no ceiling for their value.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This time it IS different. Europe is in the throes of complete financial meltdown, and the U.S. is right behind, along with Japan as well. When the world's 2 or 3 most important currencies go belly-up, what will the masses turn to if not metals?

The world's financial system is simply unsustainable. And because metals are valued in those unsustainable currencies, there really is no ceiling for their value.

Perfect example of "New Paradigm" and "Denial" stages.

When the world's 2 or 3 most important currencies go belly-up, what will the masses turn to if not metals?

well, you could start with this list provided by TexasNationals in a different thread:

Ammunition
    soap
    film
    medicine
    toothpaste
    toilet paper
    shoes
    underwear
    aspirin
    pens
    pencils
    paper- to write on
    cooking oil
    salt
    wire
    wire snares
    computer discs
    nitrogen fertilizer
    blasting caps
    gloves
    tape-duct
    knives
    sharpening stones
    matches
    saws
    files
    chain saw parts
    light bulbs
    garden hoses
    motor oil
    engine filters
    gun powder
    primers
    bullets
    canning lids
    plastic freezer bags
    electrical supplies
    nylon rope
    coffee
    welding rod
    batteries
    lamp mantles
    LP gas
    flour
    yeast
    detergent
    needles
    thread
    electrical tape
    bleach
    toothbrushes
    antacid
    sugar
    steel wool
    screws
    bolts
    flashlights
    calcium hypo-chlorate (pool bleach, used to make bleach)
    batteries
    bulbs
    car repair parts
    tires
    pepper
    boot oil
    shoelaces

Gold and silver are so far down I won't even go there, platinum and palladium didn't make the list. Look at the list and what does it tell you? "

edited to add: and that's just stuff or "goods." There is also a long list of barterable "services" that are far more common, liquid, and useful than PMs are

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the list and what does it tell you?

It tells me that it is so comprehensive and expansive that most people couldn't begin to accumulate a significant quantity of all those items. At some point you run out or find out
    that you missed some items, including those not even on the list. Therefore, they would need to have other items that would be suitable in trade (ie cash and cash alternatives)
    to obtain those items. That list basically goes back to the Armageddon scenario. If that occurs, you won't be able to keep your listed items from the pillaging packs. Four, sugar, salt
    and cooking oil won't get you too far if you're hungry. Canned and preserved food products should be at the top of the list along with fresh water. It only takes a day or two to get
    real hungry. When your neighbors are taking your food, they'll help themselves to the "list" as well.

If one superimposes the previous stock and oil manias of the last 30 yrs over that chart, it would be quite clear that gold has come nowhere near the same type of mania phase that
    those others went through. Superimpose the current 2001-2011 gold chart over the one from the 1966-1980 bull market and it comes up far, far short. Recall that in
    1979 gold basically increased by 3-4X inside a year....silver 10X. With most of those gains coming in the last 6 months. That's a mania. What's odd is that there was nowhere near the
    level of economic and banking crisis that we have today. Thank CDS, MBS, and otc interest rate contracts for that. Once all this stuff is fixed and put to bed for good, gold's run will
    be through. Call it whatever you like, mania, bubble, etc. But it's just a mirror for the true mania in paper-based "assets" (ie currencies, bonds, debt, credit, derivatives).
    This paper mania is now in at least its 40th year. Where does "paper" show up on that confidence curve? I'd venture somewhere around the "return to normal" or "fear stage."

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    There is also a long list of barterable "services" that are far more common, liquid, and useful than PMs are

Which comes back to my assertion that human labor is ultimate currency. But now the tread is being derailed.

Can gold be substitued as a currency, surely. Can gold be devalued as a currency, surely. And I dont mean devalued as in the price vs dollars drops. Gold could be devalued as it may cost more grams of gold to obtain car parts or toilet paper or food.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is also a long list of barterable "services" that are far more common, liquid, and useful than PMs are

Which comes back to my assertion that human labor is ultimate currency. But now the tread is being derailed.

well, maybe the discussion of labor, and currency as a "receipt" for human effort, belongs in the "default by hyperinflation" thread anyway.

Back to the charts, a bubble need not follow the exact shape of the example mania boom/bust chart, nor must it contain all the elements. the example chart is a classic bubble, and through history there are many many examples of this time it not being different, from tulips to tech stocks, from beanie babies to bungalows.

we'll see, we'll see.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I'm going to get crazy-rich, buy land and cars with my own fuel storage, and grow enough food to save my whole community, gold and silver will be treasured by all, women will throw themselves at me, I'll give millions to charities and worthwhile causes, my wealth will multiply from my amazing foresight, stocks and bonds will crash so that my gold and silver will buy up bundles of companies for pennies on the dollar, I will adeptly employ margin financing and never lose, and I'll keep a villa in the Panamanian jungle in case anything goes wrong. Oh, and a shotgun for protection. What's not to like?image

cohodk, the emotion chart looks more like the 10-year platinum chart than gold does. Check it out.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>cohodk, the emotion chart looks more like the 10-year platinum chart than gold does. Check it out.

image >>

Are you sure? Chart edited to match size and timeframe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>cohodk, the emotion chart looks more like the 10-year platinum chart than gold does. Check it out.

image >>

Are you sure? Chart edited to match size and timeframe. >>

No I'm not sure, but we do have examples of 1982 770 djia to 2000 12,000 djia a 15 x gain. Wev'e seen sugar go from $.05 to $.60 a 12x gain and on a daily that is basically straight up the last month or so of those runs. There have been many many individual stocks and commodities through the years that have performed in the stratosphere many multiples above anyones expectations. Just saying its highly possible.
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

Are you sure? Chart edited to match size and timeframe. >>

Isn't it possible to have 3 or more episodes of the emotion chart take place in an overall large bull run spanning 18-24 years. I'm thinking of examples such as the 1987 djia crash and its subsequent run on up to 12,000 years latter.
  • Options
    Here's another chart that looks alot more like your gold chart, than your gold chart looks like the emotion chart.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Another trendline.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i have to agree with "tranquility base" on this one.

jmski52 the key to the reference is "return to normal stage" for gold vs the platinum chart.

we're f'd up but i am leaning furthur away from the collapse, at least for a few more years if at all.

best we should do is a soft landing.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This time it IS different. Europe is in the throes of complete financial meltdown, and the U.S. is right behind, along with Japan as well. When the world's 2 or 3 most important currencies go belly-up, what will the masses turn to if not metals?

Perfect example of "New Paradigm" and "Denial" stages.

When the world's 2 or 3 most important currencies go belly-up, what will the masses turn to if not metals?

well, you could start with this list provided by TexasNationals in a different thread:

Ammunition
    soap
    film
    medicine
    toothpaste
    toilet paper
    shoes
    underwear
    aspirin
    pens
    pencils
    paper- to write on
    cooking oil
    salt
    wire
    wire snares
    computer discs
    nitrogen fertilizer
    blasting caps
    gloves
    tape-duct
    knives
    sharpening stones
    matches
    saws
    files
    chain saw parts
    light bulbs
    garden hoses
    motor oil
    engine filters
    gun powder
    primers
    bullets
    canning lids
    plastic freezer bags
    electrical supplies
    nylon rope
    coffee
    welding rod
    batteries
    lamp mantles
    LP gas
    flour
    yeast
    detergent
    needles
    thread
    electrical tape
    bleach
    toothbrushes
    antacid
    sugar
    steel wool
    screws
    bolts
    flashlights
    calcium hypo-chlorate (pool bleach, used to make bleach)
    batteriesjp
    bulbs
    car repair parts
    tires
    pepper
    boot oil
    shoelaces

Gold and silver are so far down I won't even go there, platinum and palladium didn't make the list. Look at the list and what does it tell you? "

edited to add: and that's just stuff or "goods." There is also a long list of barterable "services" that are far more common, liquid, and useful than PMs are >>

Is that a list of what incoming freshmen take to high school? Why are both ammunition and bullets on the list? Screws but no screwdriver? Bolts but no nuts or wrenches? Welding rods, for crying out loud? Are we going to start a welding school or shoot all the out of work, white collar, marauding, starbuck coffee swilling folks this board was fixing to shoot in 2008. Now did they not get shot or what? This board wouldn't have gone off the deep end back then. Don't tell me they're back as zombies? That would be a good sign of the apocolypse. You can't have a good apocolypse without zombies.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    50% of all people would probably die off in a shtf scenario, they simply could not adjust or be physical able to fend for themselves. The pickings would probably be widespread for the rest, so I wouldnt worry too much. Maybe a huge population decrease is whats needed ends up saving the world, who knows-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gun, ammo, band of vandals, you're set.
    For anything.
  • Options

<< <i>Does the opening chart, where it shows the emotional changes during the run, look like the current gold chart? Is gold at the "return to normal" stage?

<< <i>

Are we at the "fear stage"?

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more things change, the more they remain the same.

The world is not coming to an end.

As for me, nothing has changed...dateless 90% junk-out at $32-34. Thank the lord, no grief. Good 90%-out at about $36. OLD rebuy in-$20, only in certain cases. Silver holds $20 for 6 months, I'm gone--newly mined silver will be reaching market and industrial users will have altered behaviour. Silver is an industrial metal and not an investment. Have fun with it and be very very nimble on the accumulation, because that may be your only reward(fun) in the long run.

I use metals in my primary business, we change our behaviour when things get expensive. But what the hell do I know? Nothing. Flame away newbies, I've been doing this since '62. I know nothing, regards, Sgt Schultz.

EDIT: Nice chart, DK. Pretty much sums up human behaviour patterns.
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>The more things change, the more they remain the same.

The world is not coming to an end.

As for me, nothing has changed...dateless 90% junk-out at $32-34. Thank the lord, no grief. Good 90%-out at about $36. OLD rebuy in-$20, only in certain cases. Silver holds $20 for 6 months, I'm gone--newly mined silver will be reaching market and industrial users will have altered behaviour. Silver is an industrial metal and not an investment. Have fun with it and be very very nimble on the accumulation, because that may be your only reward(fun) in the long run.

I use metals in my primary business, we change our behaviour when things get expensive. But what the hell do I know? Nothing. Flame away newbies, I've been doing this since '62. I know nothing, regards, Sgt Schultz.

EDIT: Nice chart, DK. Pretty much sums up human behaviour patterns. >>

Not trying to flame away streeter, you have been doing this more than 10 years longer than I have been alive. But you say nothing has changed, dont you even have to factor in the 15 trillion dollar ( almost 16 trillion dollar ) debt that we can never possibly repay even in our wildest dreams. When you started doing this what was out national debt ? 100 Billion ? I dont even know but I know it was under 1 trillion on jan 1 1980. a few hundred billion to 15 trillion means I say something has changed. We cant possibly even balance the budget let alone pay this off. We will be 25 trillion by 2020 and everyone knows it. Why does outragous debt threaten to destroy the EU but some think its inconsequential to the U.S. ?