Home Precious Metals
Options

anyone ever buy gold nuggets?

just wondering are they a good investment or not worth the trouble.

Comments

• Options
    I dredge for them in creeks in Indiana every summer. Here are my findings over the course of around 20 total trips. These are the larger pieces, I find alot of gold flakes and "dust" as well.

• Options
    those are nice.....i have about an ounce of nuggets from around dahlonega.ga.......see alot on ebay....not quite sure what is a good price to pay per gram?
  • Options

<< <i>those are nice.....i have about an ounce of nuggets from around dahlonega.ga.......see alot on ebay....not quite sure what is a good price to pay per gram? >>

Because raw gold nuggets have a very broad purity spectrum (anywhere from 16kt up to 23kt) its hard to make a blanket valuation on prices per gram. Also, its a fact that the smaller the nugget, the higher the purity, and visa versa. This is due to the fact that when the nugget rolls along the bottom of the creek bed during flooding, it is constantly battered by rocks and boulders which compress the piece driving out any host rock attached to it. The flipside however is that the larger the nugget size, the more rare the piece is, hence driving up collectability and price. Its been said that a 1 ounce natural gold nugget is as rare as a 5 carat diamond! As a hobby prospector myself, and the fact that my personal largest find is just .6 grams, I can certainly appreciate how rare large nuggets really are. If I was forced to answer your question though, i'd say melt value is a fair price to pay on nuggets of the size I have shown above. If the nuggets are 20kt purity on average, this will represent just a 17% premium on the actual gold value.
  • Options
    there was a guy on ebay this morning had 30 grams of idaho gold for $900......i almost pulled the trigger but was unsure. the pic showed nuggets in the size range of what you have in your pic. probably was a good buy. snooze you lose,i guess
  • Options
    If you want a gold nugget collection, then buy nuggets. If you want a stash of gold in the event of an economic emergency, then buy gold coins and bars.
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Would advise you to AVOID eBay when it comes to buying Gold Nuggets !!

Instead check out GoldBay

You'll stand a better chance of buying closer to spot image
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a friend that wants to sell some gold nuggets. He has contacted Goldsmith Gallery in Alaska (Sitka) does anyone know if they are a good honest company?