Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

set weighting question ...

Know this has been covered before, but can't find any of the threads.

When submitting a suggested set weighting, should the numbers be based solely on SMR ?
I know the population reports should be used sparingly to affect the weighting because the pops can change.

But what about stars and semi-stars that have been either over or under valued in the SMR and Beckett for years ?
The people building the sets, after a few years, have a more accurate handle on just what the cards go for.

Also, what about commons of players from popular and unpopular teams.
There is often quite a difference in what these go for. Should this be taken into account ?

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Give minor stars a bump in the proposed weighting. Don't change weighting too much for low population cards (unless the set is a mainstream set over 40 years old) or for Yankees/Dodgers cards. Do what you think is correct -- and do not necessarily use SMR in every case. Joe usually looks at them before they are finalized, so a first stab is often better than nothing at all.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

I sent in a proposed weighting for a modern set last week, and my experience was that they go by straight SMR. Depending on the set your proposing, it may be Evan Thompson, not Joe Orlando, that has initially weighted the set. The response I got was, that based on SMR, Pete Rose, Tom Seaver, and Joe Morgan are commons.imageimageimage
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    actually i have been told
    determination of the weighting is
    based upon the population in nm-mt(psa 8).
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    I have weighted 2 sets (1970 Topps baseball, and the Jim Palmer player set). I did not go by either pop reports or SMR (although I did give every card listed in the SMR a value > 1). I don't think there is any set standard for the weights. While the weights were reviewed by Joe, there were no changes made to my recommendations.

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)