But you'd have the current finest set image
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Bruce,

Go ahead and do it. May be Stewart can register his 94-S dime image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    If I could have just one of these....wow.....My two favorites are the 1804 and the 1913....wish I had the cash to allow me to make a choice......Survey says:........1804.imageimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    I don't know how the Eliasberg sets get into the registries when most of the coins grades are unverified. How do we know that the estimated grades aren't way off?? There may be coins or sets in the registry that are actually nicer than Eliasbergs but the estimated grades are keeping them from moving up. I say verify the grades in the Eliasberg collection or take the sets out of the registry. Anyone can say they have a MS70 raw coin, but that doesn't make it so. If the Eliasberg sets can contain unholdered coins and still get registry points, everyone elses sets should be able to, also.
  • Options
    THAT RIGHT!!! RIGHT ON sliderider
    LITTLEJOHN
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree [now]. It's nice to have the Eliasberg sets up to show what the standard is for an all around collection. As long as they don't 'create' coins for him [give him a high grade MS coin when he had a proof], then the estimated grades are a-ok.

Don't forget that PCGS experts were at the Eliasberg sale and noted their grades in catalogs that they kept. Also, in many instances they've seen the coins for grading or crossover.
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also disagree. I examined most of the Eliasberg coins at lot viewing and if anything I think PCGS is a bit conservative on their estimated grades.

I did find it a bit ironic when TDN was competing with Eliasberg with his proof Trade dollar set and he couldn't use his 1884 and 1885 even though they were the Eliasberg coins, because they were in NGC holders.image
  • Options
    Why isn't the richmond set up there? Oh they set their set to NGC
  • Options
    I did find it a bit ironic when TDN was competing with Eliasberg with his proof Trade dollar set and he couldn't use his 1884 and 1885 even though they were the Eliasberg coins, because they were in NGC holders

That's been appropriately fixed now that my proof set has been broken up. Trade Dollar Proofs

Why isn't the richmond set up there?

PCGS won't estimate grades for current sets - they'll only do that for retired sets. Once the Richmond Collection is completely sold off, it would be appropriate to see it up there with estimated grades.

• Options
    I have all ten, but I havent registered my set yet.
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options

I saw that the 1870-s Seated Dollar but not the Half Dime???

• Options
    BJBJ Posts: 393 mod
    To sliderider and any other collector questioning the accuracy of the ATF sets:

This is a message that David Hall wrote to one of our registrants some time ago explaining the ATF policy with regards to the historic Eliasberg and Bass collections. This quote also explains Norweb, Naftzger, Childs, Price and several other great ATF collections listed in the Registry. Remember, that David Hall, John Dannreuther, Gordon Wrubel, Bruce Amspacher, Ron Howard, Jim Halperin, Anthony Terranova and many other members of the PCGS Board of Experts were at the auctions of these great collections, viewed the coins first-hand, and in many instances have handled the coins since. The grades are not arbitrary, but are based on the years of experience of these fine numismatists.

"Louis Eliasberg assembled one of the finest sets of U.S. coins of all-time. His collection is probably the most famous of all collections. Our intent in putting the grades for the Eliasberg was to share the knowledge we have of his coins' actual grades with the Set Registry participants and to make the 'Finest of all-time' listings truly accurate.

"The 'estimated grades' are far more than simple guesses. I was at the Eliasberg sales, as were PCGS founder John Dannreuther and PCGS founder and former Director of Grading, Gordon Wrubel. We each took extensive notes on the coins. Many Eliasberg coins continue to come to PCGS for grading. This gives us an opportunity to compare our estimates with subsequent actual PCGS grades for the coins. In nearly every case our estimates prove to be conservative. Our estimates always either equal the subsequent PCGS grades or in some cases the subsequent PCGS grades are higher than our estimate. They are never lower because we are conservative in our estimates.

"We also add sets to the all-time finest list that were graded by PCGS but weren't registered before they were sold. A prime example is the great gold coins in the Harry Bass collection, which were graded by PCGS, but sold at auction before the Registry existed.

"The vast majority of the Registry participants are delighted to have the opportunity to compare their coins to the great collections of the past. And it just wouldn't be right to call a gold coin set (for example) the 'Finest of All-Time' without comparing it to the great coins in the Eliasberg and Bass collections."

There is no question that many benchmarks are being set in the PCGS Set Registry today. The Legend Collection of Trade Dollars and Seated Dollars, the Cardinal Collection of Early Dollars, the Stewart Blay Collection of Indian and Lincoln cents, the Duckor Collection of Barber Half Dollars, the Jim McGuigan of Half Cents, just to name a few. But we would be remiss not to also include the "All-time Finest" collections of the past.

BTW, congratulations to the Driftwood Collection who has posted the first current set in the Top Ten Ultra Rarities category!

BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
    Set Registry & Special Projects Director
    PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
    PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com
  • Options
    I love Driftwood's coin - the Norweb 1876-CC twenty cent piece. Beautiful, original blueish toning with great eye appeal. It's one of 'the coins that got away'... image

Since Driftwood put his one coin set up, I decided to join him. Hey, maybe we can get 10 different one coin sets up there and show them all! image

Famous Coins
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know how the Eliasberg sets get into the registries when most of the coins grades are unverified. How do we know that the estimated grades aren't way off?? There may be coins or sets in the registry that are actually nicer than Eliasbergs but the estimated grades are keeping them from moving up. I say verify the grades in the Eliasberg collection or take the sets out of the registry. Anyone can say they have a MS70 raw coin, but that doesn't make it so. If the Eliasberg sets can contain unholdered coins and still get registry points, everyone elses sets should be able to, also. >>

Of course, you are correct about your eliasberg statement. some of his grades are about as valid as josh tatum's 5 dollar gold piece !!
  • Options
    Congratulations, Tradedollarnut! I was hoping to see you add a Top Ten set!

Coindog - We believe the Eliasberg grades are very accurate due to the extensive notes that some of the top numismatists in the country took on the coins, however, if you know of a particular coin in any of the Eliasberg sets that you think is listed with the wrong grade, please email me and let know what it is and what you think the grade should be. We obviously, want the ATF sets to be right on. Thanks.
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
    Set Registry & Special Projects Director
    PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
    PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com
  • Options
    if you know of a particular coin in any of the Eliasberg sets that you think is listed with the wrong grade, please email me and let know what it is and what you think the grade should be.

I think the 1884 and 1885 trade dollars should be PF68 ... er.... PF69DCAM ... yeah, that's it - PF69DCAM! imageimage
  • Options
    I wonder who wrote that description?
    When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse