Home Metal Detecting
Options

August 3, 2014: MASSACHUSETTS CENT!! Barber dime, Sterling Earring

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Video Here

Got back to the place that gave the 1730 KG II copper. Had all day to detect, so had to hit this place hard. Started with a few wheat cents and a few other trinkets.

A few more coins here and there before deciding to head back over to the KG copper area. Found a couple of buttons right off, which was promising. A couple of the buttons are pretty monstrous. Then a deeeep signal came up, but it was promising because it hit from all angles. Dug down and finally popped it out of the hole. It was surprising to see another thin copper. Was totally expecting another KG. Put it away and kept going. A little while later a nice vintage sterling earring comes out. It's the screw back type and certainly didn't ring in like silver. Surprising it was less than 2 inches down, but that's why we have to dig as much as we can.

After 6 hours it was time to call it a day. Got home and some dirt had fallen off the coin... but instead of a KG face, there's a large eagle? What's going on here? It is a token? There's no way it's a Mass cent...But it was! Was hoping to get a date but unfortunately that's the most worn part. I'm thinking 1787 but am only 50% sure (it's a 50/50 guess anyway 'cause it was only made for two years, haha). Planchet is super nice for this area... like the KG. Going to get spoiled with decent coppers!

Whoops, forgot I also got a 1937 buffalo nickel and some wheat cents.

HH all!

Dirt coming off...

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Mass cent, an 08 Barber and a 37 Buff. What a date range for the same area. Great hunting finds.
  • Options
    Thanks PPC!

Pretty much ran the whole range of the 1900s to today too. Ended with 7 wheat cents: 1955, 1918, 1909, 1936, 1941, 1920, 1920. And got some Lincolns...even a Shield cent.

Also got a UMC Co. shotgun shell top (not sure what the term is). Guess it dates no later than 1911, which is older than I thought these things could be. Also got a lead hem weight, couple keys, 3 toy cars, a Grover Cleveland token (maybe cracker jack?), and a 1967 Rabies tag.

Someone posted on Tresurenet that it's definitely 1787 due to it being a "horned eagle" variety.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    How wonderfully exciting it is to see/read about your latest finds!
    Love this one and thanks for posting!
    I imagine you live in New England somewhere based on your finds.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    That is one sharp Barber !!!

Don't knock the wheaties, someday you may find a 1909S VDB or a 1914D.image
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't knock the wheaties, someday you may find a 1909S VDB or a 1914D.

The '14-D eluded my detection even though I hunted in Denver during the halcyon days.
    Best find 'D' Lincoln I made was a 1924-D,found in Denver's City Park.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Quite the finds! Congrats.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome finds...congratulations... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    That has to be one of the coolest coin find I've ever seen. Wish we had stuff like here.
  • Options

<< <i>That has to be one of the coolest coin find I've ever seen. Wish we had stuff like here. >>

Thanks! It's nice being on the east coast being able to find some older coins like this. But you've found quite a few jaw dropping finds where you're at.
  • Options
    nice finds. I love them flat buttons. I find a bunch in Gettysburg. Some CS soldiers used them as cost buttons since they were cheap to use and replace