Home Metal Detecting
Options

Is soaking a copper coin in water okay? UPDATE: Coin 100% Identified!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Update!! kevinstang was spot on, it is a Canadian coin/token. I can now see the figure better and the word Canada. The green is slowly coming off and I will take some additional pics shortly.

Now if I can only find that large cent I was looking for (wink, wink!) see my latest early copper!! It is a large cent!! Still cleaning that one up though, but that one is confirned.

I will pick up some mineral oil tomorrow but for now all I really have is water. Will this be okay for the night? As of right now, I don't know what the coin even is, but I don't want it to dry out. It's roughly the same size as a large cent/pre-1793 copper, but not much details are showing up. Weight is 8.6 grams.

Update, she's now soaking in mineral oil. I'll check it again in a couple of days.
Image made smaller...the only hope I have right now is what looks like a slender figure standing... could just be corrosion though after time in the ground.

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to quite finding stuff that keeps us coming back to your postsimage Did you work on the 3cent piece?
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Why wouldn't it be ok? I'm sure it has been in the rain a few times.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No problem overnight.... but get it in the oil as soon as possible. After a long soak, the details may lift off... but worth the try. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    She's now soaking in mineral oil... we'll see in a few days of any of the green begins to break up and any other details begin to show. Let's cross our fingers!
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking you have a Canadian coin- an "Un sou " I believe it is (maybe 1/2 sou or half penny- they were about the size of the early US large cent). Looks like the figure of a "le habitant" think thats how its spelled that these coins from the 1830's/1840's had on them.

Just an early guess ...
  • Options

<< <i>I'm thinking you have a Canadian coin- an "Un sou " I believe it is (maybe 1/2 sou or half penny- they were about the size of the early US large cent). Looks like the figure of a "le habitant" think thats how its spelled that these coins from the 1830's/1840's had on them.

Just an early guess ... >>

Very interesting. Looks like a good possibility that's what it is. After reading your response I went to check treasurenet.com where I have it posted too, and a member there also said it could be an "Un sou" "Canadian Habitant" coin/token! What are the odds?

Small amounts of the green are coming off, but it will still be some time before I'll know if any further detail remains. Thanks for your input!!
  • Options
    See update in 1st post!