Home Metal Detecting
Options

Big silver... (EDIT TO ADD: New pictures after rinsing)

Got out for a lunch hunt on Friday and decided to do some exploring. I decided to check out an area I had seen in the past, hustled out there, and started wandering... As I started looking around, I noticed a couple big trees that may have been a good spot to sit under, walked up to the trees, detected around the two, but then I noticed what appeared to be an old deserted path that was leading right past those trees. The path had a bit of a sharp incline and I could see that it was leading to a level spot above. Today was still sort of muddy due to all the rain we've been having, but it wasn't too bad since I was wearing some rubber boots. As I started up the path, I was swinging my detector right in the middle of the path when I heard a screaming, loud signal. I first thought "maybe a can?" But, as I started to pinpoint the signal, it was much smaller than a can signal. Right then, I started to think this may be a good one! I kneeled down, waved my probe around the spot where I thought the target would be, it was a little fuzzy, but enough to give me an idea where I should start digging. I dug a circle around the spot, flipped some muddy dirt out of the hole, stuck the probe in the hole, and now my probe was screaming almost right in the middle of the hole. I dug another circle around where I thought the target was sitting, about another few inches, and flipped the dirt out of the hole. I stuck the probe in the hole again, and the signal was gone... moved to the dirt pile, and the signal was in there. As I moved the dirt around a small spot with my probe (now it was really screaming), I turned some dirt and the first thing I saw was a big, silver, reeded edge.

<my camera is "in the shop" so I had to use the scanner for pics>
As a detectorist, this sight is a beautiful thing to see in a pile of dirt... a big, reeded edge with a sweet shine image

I was thinking, Barber half? But as I picked it up, I could quickly see I was holding a Walking Liberty Half dollar.

I reached into my pouch, pulled out the zip-lock bag, and a piece of paper I keep in the bag... the coin went into the paper, folded up the corners, placed it into the bag, and back into the pouch. (no field cleaning... I learned that lesson long ago image)

As I stood up, kicked the mud back into the hole, started searching the area around this spot, and I immediately found 2 more sweet signals, but found these were modern quarters. As I looked up the path, I could see now how steep it was, things were slippery for me due to the mud, and I started to think "that explains why coins would be dropped here"... coming down a steep path, a quick "whoops," a slide, and out of the pocket the change could go!

After searching the level area above, and some other spots that looked promising, I had to end my lunch break with one silver coin in my pouch. (awwwww... image) Actually, it's tougher to leave when that happens because I'm too eager to see if the silver had a few more friends sleeping close by! But, I knew I had to head back to my office so I ended the hunt.

I still haven't cleaned the coin yet, but I can see a date of 1946 (too dirty to see the mint mark yet though). I'll plan to give it a bath some time this weekend, take another picture or two, and add those here later... Until then, hope you enjoyed the mini-ride-along from my lunch hunt.

If you get out this weekend... happy hunting! image

Edit to add pics after rinsing today:
Still needs a little more cleaning, but you can really see some sharp details on this coin.
Also, can now see that it's an "S" mint mark coin.

Comments

• Options
    WTG Rick!!

<< <i>As a detectorist, this sight is a beautiful thing to see in a pile of dirt... a big, reeded edge with a sweet shine >>

Indeed!

<< <i>I reached into my pouch, pulled out the zip-lock bag, and a piece of paper I keep in the bag... the coin went into the paper, folded up the corners, placed it into the bag, and back into the pouch. (no field cleaning... I learned that lesson long ago ) >>

A good lesson to pass onto the newbie TH'er. I'm sure everyone here wiped the faces of their first silver finds in excitement! Then after looking at it later with a loupe , all those nasty scratches pop out at you.
    It took me at least 10 or 12 silver finds before I could refrain from field cleaning.

Can't wait to see it cleaned up!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Now thats what I'm talking about!!! That is one sweet find. After you get that cleaned go borrow someones camera and give us some good pics.
  • Options
    Sweet Rick, Congrats
    imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice .... cool find... not just silver, but a Walking Liberty.... wow... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WTG! image

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Walking Liberties are just mother-beautiful coins. Congrats on a terrific find!
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    >>Got out for a lunch hunt on Friday<<

LOL..That's one way to cut the weight down. ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    cool story and a great find!...thanks for taking us along....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice find! WTG!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your kind replies. It's fun to share this one.
    Also, it really is surprising to me that these big silver coins are still out there in the ground. image After finding some silver halves last year, I doubted I would find another one this year!

I'll plan to give it a little more gentle cleaning and then post a final picture (maybe I'll have my camera back by then).
  • Options

<< <i>>>Got out for a lunch hunt on Friday<<

LOL..That's one way to cut the weight down. ;-)

Jerry >>

That's what I think too Jerry....
    But for some reason I get back to the office a little hungrier and then I hit the soda or snack machines imageimage
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    What an awesome find! Thanks for sharing. Now if this snow would just melt!
  • Options
    still a handsome coin...hh...dp
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Can pick that coin up at a local pawn shop without slipping. Junk.
  • Options
    Beautiful coin...Very Very nice!...Great detail and and "S" to boot! WTG
  • Options

<< <i>Can pick that coin up at a local pawn shop without slipping. Junk. >>

? Huh??? Junk???

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Can pick that coin up at a local pawn shop without slipping. Junk."

Totally uncalled for comment... This is the Metal Detecting form. Please keep your comments civil. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    So what is the proper method of cleaning?
    My project: Complete proof Lincoln Memorial set. To accomplish this task I am sending in complete proof sets for grading.
  • Options

<< <i>So what is the proper method of cleaning? >>

Collector's (of which I am one image) will tell you not to clean your coins... ever, however when you're pulling them out of the ground SOME cleaning is required.

If you have encrusted dirt, some people swear by soaking it in olive oil to loosen it up... for up to weeks at a time if need be. For just plain dirt, use distilled water and a very mild detergent. DON'T scrub the coin with anything and when you dry the coin, PAT dry, don't rub.

It may sound a bit over zealous I know, but for the right coin one hairline scratch can mean the difference between a $500 coin and a $10,000 coin, plus most collectors prefer an untouched "dirty" coin to a cleaned one.

• Options
    Thanks again for all the kind replies. image

As for cleaning, yes, coins found in the dirt get cleaned sometimes...
    For me, it depends on the shape, and if it's a rare one. If it's a rare one (like a 1861-S dime I found) the coin doesn't get cleaned.
    However, I found a 1908-S dime that was corroded so bad, it could only get better... and in my opinion, it did (took some Ezest, toothpicks and elbow-grease):

1908-S before:

1908-S after:
  • Options

<< <i>Can pick that coin up at a local pawn shop without slipping. Junk. >>

So you're saying a pawn broker would pay me for a coin that I found in the dirt? image

If that's the case, boy, I sure do like finding junk! image
  • Options
    Sweet half!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage