Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Enjoying the "Pleasure & Profit" book... thanks, Dentuck! (Edit- y'all need to see the

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
I sold Dentuck some bulk world coins for his nephew.

He not only paid me for the lot I put together but also sent me two of the new Whitman releases, which was an unnecessary but very nice gratuity and probably worth more than the batch of coins he'd already paid for!

One was Robert W. Shippee's Pleasure & Profit: 100 Lessons for Building and Selling a Collection of Rare Coins.

(The link goes to Amazon- I'm not so much putting in a plug for them, but they're just fine as far as 800-pound gorillas go, and the blurbs and reviews on their site are useful.)

I'm only about a third of the way through it, but I like it. Shippee strikes me as a wise collector and he imparts some valuable lessons he learned as he completed the Waccabuc type set.

He's also an avid golfer, so if you like golf AND coins you'll love the book. Me, not so much with the golf- I think it could've used a bit fewer golf pictures in it but some of the golf metaphors do work when applied to collecting philosophy.

Though I play more in the 3-figure price ranges while Shippee was in 4- and 5-figure territory, this book has good lessons for anyone who is a hybrid collector-investor.

Worth a read if you haven't already.

And I thought it was also worth a public shout-out to Dentuck.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis is a great guy.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you're enjoying the books, LordM!

Pleasure and Profit has turned into quite the popular hit. It won a Numismatic
    Literary Guild award, and this past summer Bob Shippee and Ken Bressett even
    built an ANA Summer Seminar course around it.

-- Dentuck

P.S. The world coins were a huge success; thanks again! Nephew loved 'em.
    I've started writing up a report of the experience. It began the morning that I
    flew up to our family reunion in New York. (I was coming up from Atlanta, he and
    his Mom and Dad from Pennsylvania.) I had the coins in a wooden box that I'd
    pasted with old luggage labels. I texted his Mom: "Urgent courier transports
    Mysterious Box north to the custody of G.P.Y.," along with a photo.

I kept them updated with messages as I made my way through the airport.
    "Warn him that the Mysterious Box may or may not contain live animals. It
    appears to be from some unknown faraway land."

He didn't know it was full of coins. (He's 10 years old and is a collector.) The
    whole trip was fun, and the coins were the icing on the cake. I took lots of
    pictures --- and even a video, of that water-squirting Buffalo nickel, which was
    a big hit!

Appropriately frightened/anxious courier of a Mysterious Box of Unknown Origin
    and Uncertain Contents:

• Options
    Great pictures, and box! I knew it was destiny when i found the dog rabies tag that said "DENNIS" on it in the source bag. image

Who took the awesome photos? The whole "running through corridor/Panama hat/nervous escalator ride" has shades of Indiana Jones running in front of giant rolling rocks. The luggage stickers just complete the vintage adventure feel. I DEFINITELY wanna read the report and see the video! Had I known you'd "run with it" (both literally and metaphorically), I wouldn't have charged you for the lot, especially had I known I'd be getting free books into the bargain. The next lot's on the house. (And yes, there's plenty more where those came from.)

I had forgotten about the squirting Buffalo nickel. So it actually worked? Found it in the bulk source lot with the rest.

I started when I was ten, and I guess I've kept in touch with my numismatic roots and never totally grown up. So it's nice to re-live that experience, vicariously.

Your batch was similar to one I made up for MY nephews, except I used a wooden treasure chest with those fancy lion head mounts with rings through the lions' mouths. (One of my sisters has four boys and the other twin boys, so I have no shortage of nephews now. Or fun world coins to give them.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did TSA take your whip?
  • Options
    PS- this "cool cheapo" 1935 Merc dime ring was also in the exonumia source bag that squirting Buffalo nickel came from. So it was a really kooky-cool-fun assortment of stuff. In fact, I've still got a bit of that bag left. It paid for itself several times over, both in fun and in funds.

• Options

<< <i>Did TSA take your whip? >>

He's lucky that's all they took, with him running through an airport while gingerly carrying a box with unknown contents AND wearing a beard! image

Fortunately it was a Panama hat instead of a turban, or ol' Dentuck might've found himself in Gitmo instead of NY! image

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story..... will look around for the book.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LOL! Yes, I made quite the spectacle in the airport, and unashamedly
    so. ("These people will never see me again!" was my reasoning.) You
    should have seen me trying to balance the Mysterious Box while juggling
    an orange juice and a breakfast chicken sandwich, and maintain
    control of my luggage at all times.

"Report any suspicious activity to the nearest TSA representative,"
    indeed!

By the time the Mysterious Box got to New York, my nephew was
    eager to see it. But I made him wait, knowing that the weather
    forecast called for rain later in the week, and in the meantime we
    had a river to canoe, and card games to catch up on, and a zipline
    to zip down, and miniature golf to be golfed, and ice cream to eat.

(And yes, the squirting Buffalo nickel really did work! Took us a few
    minutes to figure it out, but it was a hoot.)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice uncle!

Bring him some books?
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome thread!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice feel-good thread! Kudos to the main participants!

I have that book (got it for Christmas last year). It's a great read!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Dunno about your nephew, but you definitely get the "Uncle of the Year" vote from me. Sounds like I need to up my game the next time I see my sister's kids. And meet my other sister's twins. They must be ten by now and I've never met them since they live in the Southwest and we are in GA.

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story guys. Sounds like that was a lot of fun.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sat in on Bob and Ken's class at ANA Summer Camp. Plenty of shrewd questions from the attendees, who were quite interesting themselves. Leading edge information on strategy and tactics for today's collecting market. Good read too. . . image

Dennis seems to have a very consistent habit of picking winners . . . image

Cool uncle image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    Great nephews and great authors make my job super-easy!

• Options
    Strange to discover that you look nothing at all like Winston Churchill.

Who knew?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file