Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone here collect or specialize in Proof Seated Dollars?

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm looking to acquire one and I have an example or 2 in mind, but this is new territory for me and I'm sure they are thinly traded due to the low montages.
Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try forum member TDN. Or John Dannreuther. Or maybe even Legend.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mintages aren't really all that low, especially for the 1859-1973 dates that are not all that different from seated halves. There are always nice proofs available. Actually too many. It's the nice mint state coins and tougher date circs that are HARD to find. Treat them no differently than the quarters and halves of that era. Be fussy. Choose originality over the new wave of "made to order cameos."

They are not thinly traded. Every major auction has some. The bigger collections have runs of them. TDN did a set near finest known quality and decided the mint state coins were more interesting and had more potential. I would agree that the early proofs (pre-1858) are thinly traded. And many of those are screwed with trap coins. Stick with original color bombs of the 1859-1873 era...maybe even a semi-cameo where the color just takes it out of full cameo. I prefer the cleaner design of the no motto's myself....Civil War is a nice era. I find little romance with proofs of 1866-1873 unless they walk and talk. There probably aren't any sleepers here as the series has come under a lot of scrutiny in the past 10 years. Some of the neatest proof seated dollars I saw were in the 2001 Vermeulle sale. I recall the 1859 and 1869 were particularly monstrous. Haven't seen either of those since. Legend bought all the denominations in that 1869 set for a customer. By the time the quarter went to them I knew they were building the set. I was tempted to run them up on the half as I liked that coin a lot. But, I didn't because I'm a nice guy. The 1869 proof dollar was a mind-numbing color coin...brought $23K at that time.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TDN is only a private message away image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some reason entering TDN in the user search and selecting all forums generates nothing.
    Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linky to TDN Seated Dollar Proofs

They're all pretty awesome, but this one may be my favorite:

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall my friend getting two raw proof Seated dollars, 1868 and 1869, in about 1998. Both were cameos with deep, watery fields and really pretty rainbow album toning around the rim. They were PR64 CAM quality with great eye appeal; just a few too many hairlines to go up to 65. He offered them to me at $2,250 each. I said "pttthhhht, that's above Sheet." LOL, I have such great foresight.

Another great purchase I didn't make from him was an 1874-CC half in really, really choice G06. He wanted full VG money- a ridiculous $225. "Only two letters in Liberty," I said! Now I could buy that coin for about 10X the offer price.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An original gem proof seated dollar is more an expensive coin than it is rare. They are impressive large coins showing the best of the coiner's work. You rarely see them in choice/gem grade at local shops or even at smaller to regional shows. Larger dealers like to stock them and haul them to big shows. Same for big auctions. Very popular coins...though you need $5K or more just to get a foot in the door.

Let's see proof seated half dime vs. a proof seated dollar???? No contest.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find that the older Proof coins are a bear to photograph, at least for me, but here goes.

A Proof Half Dime ... not very impressive ... although the 1870s were not a great time for the U.S. Mint and Proof coins in general.

imageimage

A Proof Seated Dollar ... much more impressive ... shot straight on and then at an angle to show the mirrors, which are actually quite good.

imageimage

imageimage

This 1862 dollar is graded PR-64, but it's not the kind of coin that is going to elevate anyone's heartbeats.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭
    They are impressive looking coins, one of my favorites.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This 1862 dollar is graded PR-64, but it's not the kind of coin that is going to elevate anyone's heartbeats. >>

Actually, because of the low mintage of 1862 business strikes, 1862 in proof has some crossover appeal to collectors who are otherwise uninterested in proofs.
  • Options

<< <i>For some reason entering TDN in the user search and selecting all forums generates nothing. >>

Probably because he goes by TradeDollarNut here. image
    If you don't ask, you won't know...
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I wish I could!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file