Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

MoD Reverse Proof Dimes are....crap

panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
Got my five sets about an hour ago. Sat down with my DinoLite to take good look at all of the dimes to see if they would be worth sending in for grading. I found 3 of the five regular proof dimes that had a shot at 69, maybe 70. I am no grader, but I didn't see a rev proof that would get a 68. Pits and scratches all over the devices. Take a look at yours when they come. You might save yourself a lot of grading fees.

Edited for spelling.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    Maybe some of the same problems they had with the Kennedys in the Anniversary set?
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    The picture is just one of the five picked at random from my sets. At least 3 others are worse. The one with a decent obverse has a large blob on the torch on the reverse. Maybe they should have contracted out the rev proofs to Chinese counterfeiters.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    any chance you could image both sides in full
    as i'd love to see a in hand look of these
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 things:

1) I feel for you...if this is true overall, anyone getting the higher grades will really score...and, many are likely to sell too soon, thinking they will all be high grades
    2) I love the reverse proofs BUT I think the dimes are too small to give it justice. Only way I would want the dime, cent, or even nickel in RP is if the whole set was that way. Also, I don't think the golden dollars lend themselves to cool RPs....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets hear from some collectors who have opened their coins.
    What do they look like? Pictures ?
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lets hear from some collectors who have opened their coins.
    What do they look like? Pictures ? >>

Why would anybody open these they need to be sent in sealed to get all of the coins certified as "the set". If you are going to attempt to flip, OPENED = CRAP
  • Options
    Additional pics of pits, scratches, milk spots, and contact marks(?) on the torches.
  • Options

<< <i>

Why would anybody open these they need to be sent in sealed to get all of the coins certified as "the set". If you are going to attempt to flip, OPENED = CRAP >>

Good luck flipping when you get the unopened box back from PCGS and all the dimes are 67's and 68's. ;-)
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Why would anybody open these they need to be sent in sealed to get all of the coins certified as "the set". If you are going to attempt to flip, OPENED = CRAP >>

Many collectors like their coins in OGP and like to look at them. Not everyone is into the hype, bs, and flipping.

As my granddaughter would sing:

The flippers gonna flip, flip, flip, flip, flip

The buyers gonna pass, pass, pass, pass, pass

Dump em now, dump em now
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that/those proofs have more ticks than a lime disease research facility!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FDR in a knife fight? image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Additional pics of pits, scratches, milk spots, and contact marks(?) on the torches.
    image >>

What is that like 30x? 40x?

I thought you guys were all against microscopic grading and attribution?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Good luck flipping when you get the unopened box back from PCGS and all the dimes are 67's and 68's. ;-) >>

Not if 68 is the top grade..................

By that I mean, if they are all crap, then at least some of the crap won't be as crappy as the other crap. Right?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Good luck flipping when you get the unopened box back from PCGS and all the dimes are 67's and 68's. ;-) >>

By that I mean, if they are all crap, then at least some of the crap won't be as crappy as the other crap. Right? >>

I agree that in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. But these are proofs. Should you make a proof if you cannot prove the ability to produce one at MS70? Not saying there won't be great examples. I am just saying the five I looked at were......crap. Remember, the five regular proof dimes were much more successfully produced with three that I think would be worth grading. I will assemble the two best examples from the sets of dimes into a set and figure out what to do with the rest. Gifts to youngsters sounds like a good idea.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>. . . Only way I would want the dime, cent, or even nickel in RP is if the whole set was that way. >>

I believe the Mint does plan to release a complete 2015 proof set in Reverse Proof. They will likely all be "S" mint, differentiating the dimes from those in the MOD set.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

By that I mean, if they are all crap, then at least some of the crap won't be as crappy as the other crap. Right? >>

I agree that in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. But these are proofs. Should you make a proof if you cannot prove the ability to produce one at MS70? Not saying there won't be great examples. I am just saying the five I looked at were......crap. Remember, the five regular proof dimes were much more successfully produced with three that I think would be worth grading. I will assemble the two best examples from the sets of dimes into a set and figure out what to do with the rest. Gifts to youngsters sounds like a good idea. >>

Huh?

Are we spoiled since I don't recall ever hearing or reading about a PR70DCAM 1964 Kennedy or Franklin Half Dollar although 29 1964's are listed as PR70 in the PCGS Population reports.

BTW, my 2 sets arrived this morning and they appear to be of a little bit better quality crap than the one you've posted. Maybe you just ended up with a dog?

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    more than one (or two) group of 5 will be needed to determine overall quality

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

If they're opened the dimes will still get the same labels and still be attributed to "the set" as if they were sent in sealed. Only the silver dollar loses possible attribution to "the set" and many folks have no interest in getting the silver dollar graded as it's already been out for awhile.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

If they're opened the dimes will still get the same labels and still be attributed to "the set" as if they were sent in sealed. Only the silver dollar loses possible attribution to "the set" and many folks have no interest in getting the silver dollar graded as it's already been out for awhile. >>

Seems silly to have such restrictions since that dollar coin, labeled as from the set or not, is just another commem.

Besides, who at this point will have the reverse proof Roosy without having the Dollar Coin or the Proof?

And if its to "head off the cherry picked 70's", is the markup really that large? Just seems silly especially since some of these roosies are questionable from what I've read.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    from the many threads on here, there are a few only looking for the one or two dimes.

I think single dimes from this set will be individually collected.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree that in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. But these are proofs. Should you make a proof if you cannot prove the ability to produce one at MS70? Not saying there won't be great examples. I am just saying the five I looked at were......crap. Remember, the five regular proof dimes were much more successfully produced with three that I think would be worth grading. I will assemble the two best examples from the sets of dimes into a set and figure out what to do with the rest. Gifts to youngsters sounds like a good idea. >>

The first person to get an all 70 First Strike set on eBay will make a killing, esp. if the slabs have consecutive cert numbers.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why the thought 'they must have seen you coming from a mile away. I mean, what if you're on some 'crap on this customer list due to too many returns and too much complaining? hmmm

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your not to say any thing bad till we all flip are sets..... image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>Why the thought 'they must have seen you coming from a mile away. I mean, what if you're on some 'crap on this customer list due to too many returns and too much complaining? hmmm >>

Come again?
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Junk is Junk.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not intend to flip/sell mine.... I do hope they are high quality coins....should be here Monday/Tuesday. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file