Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Special coin - Why the price is not rising ? 2013-W $50 One-Ounce Gold American Buffalo Reverse Proo

CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
Special coin - Why the price is not rising ? 2013-W $50 One-Ounce Gold American Buffalo Reverse Proof imageimage

Today we are at the beginning of 2015 and nothing happens with this gold coin!

Example:

GC:

2013-W $50 One-Ounce Gold American Buffalo Reverse Proof First Strike PCGS Proof-70 (Black Diamond Label)

Time left: Ended

(Sun, Jan 11, 2015 07:03:44 PM Pacific Time)

Winning bid: $1,456.00

Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers

Comments

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    time to buy?
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

<< <i>time to buy? >>

I think that it's great price ! See the price of this Buffalo: ( US Mint )

American Buffalo 2014 One Ounce Gold Proof Coin
    http://catalog.usmint.gov/american-buffalo-2014-one-ounce-gold-proof-coin-BP5.html
    WEST POINT (W)

Out of Stock
    $1,640.00
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's been a bunch on the market lately (we sold one group of 50 coins last week). I personally think $1600 ($1456 + bp) is cheap for FS 70. However, those quantities have now dried up.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not everyone is excited by the endless flow of modern Mint products and/or designs and/or label designations. I understand that beauty and "I want" is totally in the eye of the beholder, and in mine all modern Mint gold commems are just precious metal bullion.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto.
    This coin although "gizmoized" to be unique as a type is:
    Not appealing to many on artistic grounds
    Is just another creation product of the mint that now has
    To compete for dollars with all of the other bits

Not a hater as I bought one that I confess lives under a pile of other such "trinkets" in my collection.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Winning bid: $1,456.00"

I have said many times before - when one elects to sell their coins at no reserve (at any auction - GC or elsewhere) they get what they deserve and the only "winner" is the auction house in many cases. In addition, it then impacts everyone else who is trying to sell the same coins at the "right" level. We start getting requests from customers to sell them coins at close to the $1,456 level as if that price is the correct price level for the coin.

No different than the $1,850 price level on 2014 PR70FS Platinum coins of just 30-60 days ago. I tried to tell some of the sellers that retail price level made no sense for that particular coin (it was near "break even" considering having to sell 69's at the time at a loss as well). Now, just 30 or so days later try to buy one for under $2,400 today.

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    As a collector of buffalo nickels... the mint could have done a much better job commemorating the buffs 100 years! A 1oz reverse proof gold coin never interested me at all.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If demand is there, auction prices should command at least close to retail value, though there is always a degree of risk with that approach, as sale is guaranteed. I see a lot of these modern issues listed in museum-like listings where price is higher than what informed collectors are willing to pay and listing gets auto-renewed every 30 days. I suppose true value is somewhere in the middle.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with DennisH. These are just bullion and worth no more than the metal they are made of. I remember the 2013 ANA fiasco that shoved these down the throats of collectors...now they can live with them or take a loss.
  • Options
    Grote15... Check out ebay # 371239692247. Same coin just sold at $2,029 at a fixed price. When will people learn that placing their coins in auctions at no reserve is often times only beneficial to the auction house.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phil did better than the graders.
    image Holding for now.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phil knows what he's doing with a camera! image
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    looking at that image above

wow did they blow the proportioning...to me that obverse is horrendous
    longer neck as if we're looking at chief long neck
    reduced his shoulder width profile
    feather sizes reduced as if feathers were bought from a dollah store
    sunk his jawbone...he looks like he could of starred on "breaking bad" as a crack head

the reverse is ok

myself
    bullion like this...no need for lofty 70 grade
    wait till gold drops
    then maybe...just maybe...move in...but looking at this obverse....nah...not my cup of tea here
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Because I own two

Sorry
  • Options
    As a collector of these I will be the first to say these are not good to flip right now, need to wait. It's like the Kennedy gold coin last year, you can't even get what you paid the mint for it.

Some moderns you can luck out on for example the 2008w buffalo MS70 or even the silver eagle 2008 with rev of 07. Both winners if you got in at the right time.

The high relief is another good example and seems to slowly climb, I passed on this because it was to small for me and kinda looked like a hockey puck, lol so I did not get in on time. But I only buy what I like.
  • Options

<< <i>Grote15... Check out ebay # 371239692247. Same coin just sold at $2,029 at a fixed price. When will people learn that placing their coins in auctions at no reserve is often times only beneficial to the auction house.

Wondercoin >>

Some people hit the BIN because they are impatient or simply need to have it or aren't fully aware of what actual value is and/or are impressed by a scan The value of this piece is really no more the BIN price than the auction price, but typically somewhere in between, though the lower the demand, the riskier the play in a no reserve auction format.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, is that thing hideous.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Grote... there are plenty of coins being offered at more than the BIN price I referred to. In fact, I would not sell that coin on ebay at that level personally, but that price is a reasonable sell level in my opinion. Indeed, your best argument that the coin sold too high on eBay is the fact that another person might sell their coin too cheap in a no reserve auction tomorrow or the next day so buyers should wait to seize on the opportunity. image

Wondercoin

Edited to add the the Price a Guide is $2,700 on the coin
  • Options

<< <i>Grote... there are plenty of coins being offered at more than the BIN price I referred to. In fact, I would not sell that coin on ebay at that level personally, but that price is a reasonable sell level in my opinion. Indeed, your best argument that the coin sold too high on eBay is the fact that another person might sell their coin too cheap in a no reserve auction tomorrow or the next day so buyers should wait to seize on the opportunity. image

Wondercoin

Edited to add the the Price a Guide is $2,700 on the coin >>

Patience is a virtue, and saves money, too! LOL!

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Man, is that thing hideous. >>

you like that obverse too...i can tell image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why should the price be rising unless gold is going up?

Its a modern coin worth not much more than 10-20% above melt. There are modern world gold coins, much rarer which may deserve a real numismatic premium. Furthermore these coins come from the USM in 69-70 condition.

CDN is 1400 / 1500. I do not see any increase on them unless bullion rises. As bullion coins they are nice but will never compete with a true rare gold coin like the 1911-D $2.50 Indian or various early rare and scarce early 20tjh century gold issues. I like Modern World Gold and many are in the semi numismatic range like this one but that is about it. Coin Prices shows this coin at $1950; with its 47.8 k mintage its hardly a rarity and not worth a lot over melt. There is nothing really rare about this coin.

I definitely would buy 7 of these vs a $15,000 big ticket classic numismatic coin with all its risks.

My best offer on one would be CDN Bid of $1400 and I probably would offer $1450 for a slabbed 70. Beyond that no interest.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The special buffalo for 2013 was the regular proof. What slips under the radar is what's special.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other side of that coin is "who cares?" about the regular buff proof either?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The other side of that coin is "who cares?" about the regular buff proof either? >>

I can always make a buck with a buck… nobody cares if I make a hundred with a thousand, either image On the flip side, that is. image
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like one, but it's just bullion !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin but not worth more than 10% above melt..... IMO.... and a slab adds nothing as far as I am concerned...and I really like gold coins... image Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file