Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Registry Sets - Hall of Fame

roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
PCGS Registry Set Hall of Fame

First time I went through this listing. What surprised me was that I didn't see the James A. Stack collection. While he didn't put together uniformly high quality on every one of his coins, he had numerous better and key date monsters that are widely known today. He had several major rarities as well. His overall collection was certainly on the same level as Norweb in scope, quality, and size. The only "fault" was that the JAS collection was sold in a number of pieces over a 30 year span starting with the quarters and halves in 1975. And as such doesn't seem as impressive. Building a registry quality set back in the 1940's was not as easy as it has been the past 30 years as the new style of coin marketing and slabbing drew many fresh coins out of the woodwork. Stack's only "mistake" might have been not ending up with the Clapp collection.

This is what Harvey Stack had to say about JAS back in 2013. He was buying from some of those same collections that are members of the Registry HoF.

As was evident in his collection of quarters and half dollars he was willing to search the country to acquire many of the rarities. He appointed Stack's as his agent and together we found many of the rarest and choicest specimens. As he was building his collection in the late l940s into the l950s, he had the wonderful and unusual chance to purchase many of his outstanding specimens from "old timer" collections. During that era, many of these collections were coming on the market, either by private sale or via auction, due to the passing of the name collectors of an earlier era.

James A. Stack was able to acquire specimens from the noteworthy Neil, At.water, Dunham, Hall and Col. Green collections, all of which were sold in the 1940s. He participated in all Stack's auction sales and also purchased rarities that the firm acquired privately during that period. With the vast selection of material offered on the market during this period he had many "finest knowns" and great rarities to buy from.

Anyone else know of others that should/could be in the Registry HoF. Gene Gardner should be there soon.
Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    many members should be in the hall of fame

i nominate RUSS
    early kennedy half dollar champion right there

not sure if he ever had success with his "dot head" variety acknowledgement

madmarty sure was "cook island king" too....image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Both JAS and GG sets belong in the hall of fame. It would have been something to see JAS's seated coins photographed like Gene Gardner's and hardbound like his to compare the two. I haven't checked, and don't know if they are, but I'm thinking Newman's material should be too.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Both JAS and GG sets belong in the hall of fame. It would have been something to see JAS's seated coins photographed like Gene Gardner's and hardbound like his to compare the two. I haven't checked, and don't know if they are, but I'm thinking Newman's material should be too. >>

I agree with all of these sets. Given how each year, they add some of the classic collectors to the HOF, I am sure we will see James A. Stack in the HOF at some point, same for Eric Newman.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Both JAS and GG sets belong in the hall of fame. It would have been something to see JAS's seated coins photographed like Gene Gardner's and hardbound like his to compare the two. I haven't checked, and don't know if they are, but I'm thinking Newman's material should be too. >>

I agree with all of these sets. Given how each year, they add some of the classic collectors to the HOF, I am sure we will see James A. Stack in the HOF at some point, same for Eric Newman. >>

Eric P. Newman should have been a living charter member of the HOF for years. He is a giant in the hobby on multiple levels.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need to worry. Newman is already in the HoF under specialized area collections.

Eric P. Newman (2013)

Eric Newman’s fame in the coin industry is well-established and spans decades. As a writer, researcher, and collector, Newman has contributed much to the body of numismatic knowledge. With Ken Bressett, Newman finally cracked the mystery of the 1804 Silver Dollars and told us the true story of when, how, and why they were made. His book on U.S. Colonial Paper Money is the standard reference for the series. His involvement with the 1913 Liberty Nickels and the Col. E.H.R. Green Estate is the stuff of legends. Recently, Newman achieved the landmark age of 102 and has begun selling coins from the numismatic foundation he established. Quite a few of his coins have already set price records.

I can see why the Set Registry Forum gets less replies than the Maytag repairman. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file