Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

USA: silver three-cent piece, 1860

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
This coin was the topic of a previous grading poll thread. I'm posting it again in a second thread, so I can link to this from my Box of 20 thread. Sorry if this seems redundant. (I wanted the poll thread to stay separate from this collection thread.)

USA: silver three-cent piece, 1860

PCGS MS63, cert. #24952083. Ex-Frank A. ("Hyperion"), Collectors Universe, 3/15/14.

I saw this attractive little trime on the Buy-Sell-Trade Forum and liked the peripheral toning in it. The seller and I have done several transactions with one another before, and he came down a little on his asking price, so ... here it is. I can't recall if I've ever had a Mint State three-cent silver before. Maybe, during my earlier type set collecting days, but if so, I'm pretty sure it wasn't as nice as this one. The nicest one I can actually remember owning previously was an AU58. This coin, a Type 3, has a better defined star, since the Type 2 and Type 3 issues had extra outlining along its outer edge. I also like the 1860 and later coins because the mintages began to taper off a bit as the Civil War approached.

Larger obverse picture (771 x 771)

Larger reverse picture (771 x 771)

PCGS cert verification page

Earlier forum grading poll thread

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    I can't find a single reason (other than I don't own it) that I wouldn't want that in my collection.

It would even find it's way into my Box of 20!
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great coin, and I still think it is a 64....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file