Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

D.C. Trip! Any good numismatic stops?

JobessiJobessi Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
My wife & I are taking our first ever trip to Washington DC in August! We plan on seeing all of the obvious tourist sites, but are there any places in-particular that house numismatic type history? Perhaps even a cool coin shop in the area? Any suggestions would be helpful!
Farmer & Theatre Teacher by day…

Comments

• Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    The Smithsonian is a must and is worth a trip to DC by itself for coin nuts.

Don't think there any B&M coin shops left in DC itself. Julian's place is in Silver Spring, MD; maybe 7 or 8 miles from the center of DC.

Have a safe and happy trip.

Ed
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Ed.... The Smithsonian is the premier coin stop..... Julian's shop would be well worth it if possible. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other options:
    1. Bureau of Engraving and Printing (tours are available)
    2. Dumbarton Oaks Museum (SSE of the Naval Observatory)---check out the Byzantine Collection, which includes ancient/medieval coins
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I never found any decent coin shops in DC, but there are some nice antique shops. Also I enjoyed the Old Print Shop which has many presidential and America related vintage prints and etchings.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    Is Julian's place a walk in shop or by appointment only?
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    My store, Bonanza Coins, in downtown Silver Spring, MD is three blocks from the Silver Spring Metro station and across the street from the Wayne Ave. garage. Store is open daily, 10-5, sometimes later, but PLEASE call first, 301 585 1480, to make sure that I am there, because if I am not there, the store is closed.

I will be attending the World's Fair of Money in Rosemont, IL and the store will be closed between 8/10-17.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My wife & I are taking our first ever trip to Washington DC in August! We plan on seeing all of the obvious tourist sites, but are there any places in-particular that house numismatic type history? Perhaps even a cool coin shop in the area? Any suggestions would be helpful! >>

All of the things like the Smithsonian, etc.

Only shop worthwhile, IMHO, is Julian's if he's open and not traveling to/from a show. He's in the middle of an area where the city has made a "center" with lots of restaurants, shops, etc. Sort of eclectic in its own way. Just remember to pay for your parking because the fine isn't cheap.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file