Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1894 S Barber Dime

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
Last post didnt work for some reason. Did anyone else get the email from DLRC? Wonder what a coin like that would be worth in today's market. They are accepting serious offers.

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1894-S Linky
    DIMEMAN NEEDS IT FOR HIS COMPLETE DIME SET ASAP!!!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how odd. i was just viewing an 1894 s dime, probably this one on the ha.com archives, earlier this evening.

thanks for the link km64

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was just looking at the 1913 Nickel on Heritage and watching the video seeing how cleaned that coin is... but still a major rarity of course. Saw the price it's already at and was thinking for that same money I'd much rather have an 1894-S dime... or two image

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    DIMEMAN just called me and told me he has been saving for this one image
  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭
    The 94-s is on my short list of coins to acquire--in my afterlife! image

Far sexier than the 1913 Nickel, IMHO.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>DIMEMAN just called me and told me he has been saving for this one image >>

I bet Mrs. Dimeman might have a few comments - (1) = Are you completely out of your mind ?

Dimeman's Reply: Ummm, Honey, I might have gone too far over our credit limit !

All I can say is that I am having trouble finding a couple Dimes I need in AU - let alone a BM-PR 64.
    Of course, this is the year a 1913 Nickel gets offered... And an 1804 Dollar. Decisions, decisions........image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    What does BM stand for? In my world, I know what BM stands for. I think DIMEMAN might have a serious BM if he had this coin....but then again, DIMEMAN isn't doing PROOFS, only Business Strikes.

LOL
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    What a great looking coin. I would love to own it.
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Great coin with a Great pedigree
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A nice branch mint proof...
    I would like to own one of these someday. "The ultimate coin" !!! image
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last time Heritage offered one for sale was way back in 05 at the FUN show. That specimen was graded PF65 by PCGS, and sold for over $1M. I believe this specimen may end up selling for more than double that amount.
    Good luck to the winning bidder !!! image
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice provenance list for the 10 known specimens at DLRC:
    http://www.davidlawrence.com/content.cfm/page/1894-S-Dime-Pedigree

I didn't realize that the finest known 1894-S had sold for $1.9m.
    This slightly exceeds the highest price for the 1873-CC No Arrows dime, so I added this 1894-S to the table of "Highest Prices for US Coins, by Type":
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=879310&STARTPAGE=2
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a way nice expensive coin. happy bidding all image
  • Options
    Thanks for the post, erwindoc. The 1894-S dime is a magical issue and this particular coin happens to be one of the finest of the 10 known. I've been chasing it personally since about 2004 when I first learned of its location. A few years later it appeared in the Stack's Oct 2007 Anniversary Sale. Jack Lee and I decided to partner on it, and we were close underbidders against another partnership of coin dealers. Both groups lost out to the winning bidder, who has held the coin ever since. Acquiring this coin was a major achievement for us and we are very proud of it. Personally, I'm really happy that it will find a new home in a great collection. (This is the first time since 2007 that ANY 1894-S dime has been available on the market.)

robkool & john9434: This coin is not for sale by auction. It's available by private treaty only so anyone serious is welcome to contact me directly to discuss it.

Thanks again,
    John
    John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks John.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks John

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took me a sec to figure out the "BM" suffix.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    What is the BM stand for?
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options

<< <i>What is the BM stand for? >>

Bowel Movement, everyone knows that!
  • Options
    BM stands for "Branch Mint", as in "Branch Mint Proof". All proofs were struck in Philadelphia during that era so a coin struck with proof surfaces at an alternate mint (in this case, San Francisco) is considered a Branch Mint Proof.
    John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    Good luck with the sale of this one John!

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Good luck with the sale of this one John!

Wondercoin >>

Thanks Mitch!
    John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Good luck with the sale of this one John!

Wondercoin >>

Thanks Mitch! >>

You deserve it, which is why you won't need it image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $1.375M - or therabouts image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$1.375M - or therabouts image >>

Holy smokes, I need this dime for my set.

I figure, if I sell my house, my entire collection (which sorta negates needing this for my dime collection any more), liquidate my 401k, and perhaps win a lotto, I may just be able to afford it!
  • Options

While at Sumer FUN, there was talk of the 1894-S at DLRC had been sold. Any truth to that rumor ?

I saw the on-line Coin World most recent edition this morning, they had an article on that coin [ a rehash
    of what we know - and some odds and ends of what I didn't know ! ]

I find it odd that the US Mint records did not have a listing of the recipients of these coins. Three coins were
    given out to eight attendees at the time of the striking. You would think that the decendants of those who were
    fortunate to attend the special striking at the San Francisco Mint of an immediate rarity would have made some
    sort of memo as to these coins. The article also casts a shadow of a doubt as to whether or not Hallie Daggett
    actually received three Dimes as she asserted - which brings me to her hand delivering two MS/PL examples to
    a coin dealer in the mid - late 1950's.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>$1.375M - or therabouts image >>

Jussssst a little outsideeeee....
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm only a couple million short on having the $$$ for this coin!

To me it is like the 1913 V nickle....not meant for circulation and not to be included in sets.

BUT

I would love to have one!image

If I had MFH's money I would call John and make the deal.imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I'm only a couple million short on having the $$$ for this coin!

To me it is like the 1913 V nickle....not meant for circulation and not to be included in sets.

BUT

If I had MFH's money I would call John and make the deal.imageimage >>

Jon... as I always have said ... "If I had your money, I could burn mine"

I'm still waiting for a nice AU 58....
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, you couldn't start a fire with with my money.

On the AU58 Dimes.......they seem to be in short supply right now. image
  • Options
    Congratulations to Legend Numismatics! Once again stepping up to the plate on a major rarity.

Some big news
    John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm only a couple million short on having the $$$ for this coin!

BUT

If I had MFH's money I would call John and make the deal.imageimage >>

It is not a coin that I want or need, but does have more legitimacy than the 1913 Liberty Nickel because it was made under government authority, and it does not seem that it was stolen from the mint.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All I can say is that I am having trouble finding a couple Dimes I need in AU - let alone a BM-PR 64.
    Of course, this is the year a 1913 Nickel gets offered... And an 1804 Dollar. Decisions, decisions........image >>

I'd rather have the Dime then the 1913 nickel or 1804 dollar as next to owning a 1895-O this was the other Barber I drooled over as a YN.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>All I can say is that I am having trouble finding a couple Dimes I need in AU - let alone a BM-PR 64.
    Of course, this is the year a 1913 Nickel gets offered... And an 1804 Dollar. Decisions, decisions........image >>

I'd rather have the Dime then the 1913 nickel or 1804 dollar as next to owning a 1895-O this was the other Barber I drooled over as a YN. >>

The funny part is my "drool" never got that high when I was a YN. I really wanted an 1909-S Indian cent, and later I started dream of owning stuff like the 1854-D Three Dollar gold and the 1848 CAL quarter eagle. Other things like a Bust dollar in reasonably decent condition (Choice VF) were within my reach. As an adult I've gotten quite a few items that were on my "drool list" and still don't have an attractive for any of the great rarities except the King of Siam Proof set.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it true that the mint directors daughter spent one on Ice Cream??

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new Coin World Online story actually has quite a bit of new information about the 1894-S dimes. I love reading Coin WOrld Online.

As to the term "Branch Mint Proof," I never saw an 1894-S dime that I thought was a true Proof. IMHO they are just new die Proof-Likes.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Is it true that the mint directors daughter spent one on Ice Cream?? >>

Yes and supposed to have been later found in a junk box at the coin department of Gimbels...

"Lawrence-9: Ice Cream Specimen. Good-4 with an old reverse scratch through 'ONE DIME' plus some other light circulation marks on the obverse. Graded VG by New Netherlands. Authenticated after 1980 Steve Ivy sale by ANACS to Numismatic Funding Corp. Even though this is referred to as the famous "Ice Cream Specimen" there's no way to be certain that this is indeed the piece Hallie Daggett spent. Robert Freidberg bought this coin over the counter for $2.40 (24 times face value) at Gimbels Department Store, NY, in 1957. Later: A. Kagin; New Netherlands (1951, lot 581); A. Kagin; Harmer Rooke (Nov. 1969); James G. Johnson; sold for $34,100 at 1980 Steve Ivy ANA Sale (lot 1804); sold for $27,500 by 1981 Bowers & Merena ANA sale (lot 2921); private collector.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would be a nice "Box of 20" Candidate
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yes and supposed to have been later found in a junk box at the coin department of Gimbels...

"Lawrence-9: Ice Cream Specimen. Good-4 with an old reverse scratch through 'ONE DIME' plus some other light circulation marks on the obverse. Graded VG by New Netherlands. Authenticated after 1980 Steve Ivy sale by ANACS to Numismatic Funding Corp. Even though this is referred to as the famous "Ice Cream Specimen" there's no way to be certain that this is indeed the piece Hallie Daggett spent. Robert Freidberg bought this coin over the counter for $2.40 (24 times face value) at Gimbels Department Store, NY, in 1957. Later: A. Kagin; New Netherlands (1951, lot 581); A. Kagin; Harmer Rooke (Nov. 1969); James G. Johnson; sold for $34,100 at 1980 Steve Ivy ANA Sale (lot 1804); sold for $27,500 by 1981 Bowers & Merena ANA sale (lot 2921); private collector. >>

There is a gap in that pedigree. I worked with James G. Johnson in 1974, at Coin World, and wanted to see his 1894-S dime, but he had already sold it by then.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, you couldn't start a fire with with my money.

On the AU58 Dimes.......they seem to be in short supply right now. image >>

I'm sure I don't know why...image

Congrats to Legend on the acquisition of the Daggett Dime. I'm sure their client is beyond thrilled.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    No client - we bought it for stock
  • Options

<< <i>No client - we bought it for stock >>

TDN, Is this the same Daggett-Parker-Johnson specimen that was once in a PCGS Proof 65 blue holder image
  • Options
    No. That coin is in an NGC66 holder and resides in the Simpson Collection
  • Options

<< <i>

"Lawrence-9: Ice Cream Specimen. Good-4 with an old reverse scratch through 'ONE DIME' plus some other light circulation marks on the obverse. Graded VG by New Netherlands. Authenticated after 1980 Steve Ivy sale by ANACS to Numismatic Funding Corp. Even though this is referred to as the famous "Ice Cream Specimen" there's no way to be certain that this is indeed the piece Hallie Daggett spent. Robert Freidberg bought this coin over the counter for $2.40 (24 times face value) at Gimbels Department Store, NY, in 1957. Later: A. Kagin; New Netherlands (1951, lot 581); A. Kagin; Harmer Rooke (Nov. 1969); James G. Johnson; sold for $34,100 at 1980 Steve Ivy ANA Sale (lot 1804); sold for $27,500 by 1981 Bowers & Merena ANA sale (lot 2921); private collector. >>

I thought that Friedberg paid a fair price for the coin back then. According to the 1957 Red Book, a Mint State piece was worth $2,500. Of course the number was in italics, which meant "speculative," but still a piece in Good should have been worth $200 to $300 wholesale.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He probably didn't check for a mint mark until later.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i>He probably didn't check for a mint mark until later. >>

Maybe, but the 1894-O Barber dime had a Red Book Good condition value of $20, which would have encouraged him to look on the reverse. The 1894-P only had a Red Book number of $1.25 ...

I used to see the guys at the Philadelphia Gimbels pay some very low numbers to the public. The more they brought in, the less they paid ... or that's how it seemed.
  • Options
    kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

<< <i>While at Sumer FUN, there was talk of the 1894-S at DLRC had been sold. Any truth to that rumor ?
    I find it odd that the US Mint records did not have a listing of the recipients of these coins. Three coins were
    given out to eight attendees at the time of the striking. You would think that the decendants of those who were
    fortunate to attend the special striking at the San Francisco Mint of an immediate rarity would have made some
    sort of memo as to these coins. The article also casts a shadow of a doubt as to whether or not Hallie Daggett
    actually received three Dimes as she asserted - which brings me to her hand delivering two MS/PL examples to
    a coin dealer in the mid - late 1950's. >>

These coins are not proofs, they were struck for circulation. They were not called proofs until an aution house in the 1940s decided to call them proofs, believing this would bring more money. At the very most, they are called Specimen.

These coins were not given out to 8 attendents, 3 each, that is a Breen theory which is absolutely false.

Hailie Daggett did not receive 3 specimens in 1894. John Daggett (superintendent SF Mint was sick most of 1894). Robert Barnett
    was the acting superintendent. Hallie Daggett did not sell Earl Parker 2 specimens in 1948, Parker never said who he purchased from,
    I spoke with Ken Jordon who was President of the Rosemont coin club starting in 1959 and personally knew Parker, he stated Parker
    never stated Daggett sold the coins. Also, Ben Daggett worked at the SF Mint in 1894, would you give valuable coins to an adult
    or 12 year old???? I researched all facts, rumors, lives of those involved for the 1894-S Barber Dime book I wrote in 2005.

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see Bruce and Legend get a 94-s dime after missing out during the last opportunity. Another major rarity X'd off the want list.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file