Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the next $ 10,000,000 + coin ?

Laura Sperber AKA the eighth Wonder of the World , of Legend Numismatics made world headlines when she bought the SP 66 PCGS graded

1794 silver dollar. My question is what do you think will be the next $ 10,000,000 + coin to be sold ?

Will it be in auction or private treaty ?

I can only say that I think it will happen within two years and maybe sooner than most people would believe.

Stewart Blay

Comments

• Options
    My question is what do you think will be the next $ 10,000,000 + coin to be sold ? Answer: Hopefully the one I own image

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The owner of J-1776 has turned down more. The owner of the Dexter 1804 was asking near that amount last I heard - and the Childs specimen is worth more. I know Heritage has some ultra rarities coming up for sale.

BUT

It takes two to tango. The coin has to make sense at that level and the buyer has to be willing to pay it. And the acclaim is no longer there for being first. The coins I know of that would break that level again are NFS.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that the 1913 Liberty Nickel that Heritage is going to sell shortly will come close. The coin is not the finest known, and, in my opinion, of the 1913 Liberty Nickel ranks below the 1804 "original" dollars as well as the 1794 dollar and the Judd-1776 pattern.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    It is strange to think that unofficial coins (1913 Lib nickel, 1804 silver dollar) and pattern coinage (J-1776) could be as intriguing and valuable as real coins intended for circulation - 1794 Sperber Dollar (even if these regular issues were saved immediately after mintage for presentation purposes).
  • Options

<< <i>It is strange to think that unofficial coins (1913 Lib nickel, 1804 silver dollar) and pattern coinage (J-1776) could be as intriguing and valuable as real coins intended for circulation - 1794 Sperber Dollar (even if these regular issues were saved immediately after mintage for presentation purposes). >>

I tend to agree with this opinion. I prefer the coins that were made for commerce, but at least with the "original" 1804 dollars there was an official diplomatic connection, which gives the coin more legitimacy. I don't care for the 1804 "restrike" dollars at all.

It would be interesting to see what the last 1822 half eagle that is in collectors' hands would bring at auction. That is a made for business coin that is a "natural rarity."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    The next time a Brasher doubloon comes up for sale, it might reach that mark.
  • Options

<< <i>The next time a Brasher doubloon comes up for sale, it might reach that mark. >>

Not unless its the gem unc.

IMO, there are very few coins with the combination of fame, desirability, condition of finest known AND a ready & willing buyer at that price level. Childs 1804, J-1776 are two ... but are NFS. I'm doubtful about the 1822 $5 ... it doesn't have the fame nor the gem quality to make it a sexy purchase.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the next coin that will sell for $10M? I don't know.

What's the next coin that should sell for $10M? A Brasher Doubloon.
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The next time a Brasher doubloon comes up for sale, it might reach that mark. >>

The Walter Perschke specimen of the Brasher Doubloon (EB Punch on Wing, Ex: Newlin-Davis) was encapsulated by NGC as MS-63 and displayed at the Philadelphia ANA show. During an interview, Perschke said that the coin was valued at $10 million, and that it was his intent to sell it. The NGC article about the coin compares its value to the "AU50" specimen that sold for $7.4 Million. (That was the unique EB Punch on Breast specimen.) As far as I know, the Perschke coin has not yet sold.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

The gem uncirculated Brasher Dubloon would bring double the price of the 1794 dollar and so would the J 1776 pattern.

There is also the chance both of these coins could be sold in the near future. Everything has a price. The Tradedollarnut

Theory that a coin is NFS is only temporary. Legend Numismatics has a proven billionaire financial genius as a client by the name of Bob Simpson.

He is not afraid to put his money forth and pay huge sums to acquire a coin he really wants to own. An example would be the 1943 D Lincoln cent.

I would also bet the only legitimate 1933 Double Eagle would bring $ 10,000,000 today.

And TDN we both know it only takes one and not two to tango in the world of coins !

Stewart Blay
  • Options

Cardinal - The Donald Groves Brasher Dubloon is at least three points better than the Walter Pershke Brasher Dubloon.

Stewart
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cardinal - The Donald Groves Brasher Dubloon is at least three points better than the Walter Pershke Brasher Dubloon.

Stewart >>

I mentioned the Perschke specimen only because the owner said he "intended" to sell it in the near future. I am not aware of any plans to sell the Garrett-Groves specimen, but like you say, a sufficient offer can convert NFS items into SOLD items!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It won't be a penny.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    No, Stewart - sometimes NFS means NFS
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My expectation is for the Fenton 1933 Saint to finally come back to the market. Unless of course the current owner plans to pass it on to another generation of family.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Now that the 10mm threshold was broken, others will follow. I bet at least 2 more in the next 3 to 5 years. There are quite a few coins in private hands that would achieve the mark and as some have pointed out, way more than $10mm
    Here's my list, off the top of my head, some may only have a shot....

1) Childs 1804 Dollar
    2) Judd 1776
    3) Gem Brasher
    4) Eliasberg 1913 Nickel
    5) 1822 Five
    6) 1870-S Three
    7) King of Siam set
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    I do not see the 1933 $20 as a $10M coin. One of thirteen with more out there is quite a bit different than one of three. Who knows - the Langbords could easily win their appeal based upon the judge's erroneous 'misguided legal strategy' ruling. IMO
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Langbord's could go all the way to the SC, and it wouldn't change the status of the coins. You know full well that a left leaning SC isn't going to go against the grain of our dear leader, comrade.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Not sure what the "next" one will be, but the 1933 will easily pass $10,000,000 in my view. It sold for about $7.5M over 10 years ago, and currently it's looking like it'll be 'unique" on the market in the future. It has a lot of history behind it, it's a beautiful design, and it's a very popular series.
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options

Bruce - NFS means NFS and I agree with you. However coins are almostalways sold. The Childs collection,The Garett collection,the Norweb collection and even the Tradedollarnut collection of Trade Dollars.

There were many people who thought the 1794 dollar would not sell for more than $ 5,000,000. They were wrong and before I would agree that the 1933 Double Eagle is not a $ 10,000,000 however anything is now possible.

Stewart
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'm doubtful about the 1822 $5 ... it doesn't have the fame nor the gem quality to make it a sexy purchase. >>

This is betraying my age, but when I was young and beginning collecting, the 1822 half eagle was a legendary coin and I considered it THE most desirable U.S. coin of all. The fact that it so rarely comes up for sale (has it been 30+ years now?) works against its fame, and people tend to forget that it exists. If I had $10 M to spend on one coin, the 1822 would be it.
  • Options

<< <i>Bruce - NFS means NFS and I agree with you. However coins are almostalways sold. The Childs collection,The Garett collection,the Norweb collection and even the Tradedollarnut collection of Trade Dollars.

There were many people who thought the 1794 dollar would not sell for more than $ 5,000,000. They were wrong and before I would agree that the 1933 Double Eagle is not a $ 10,000,000 however anything is now possible.

Stewart >>

Yes, eventually everything will be sold - I was thinking more in the next few years what might come on the market. Perhaps a Newman rarity?
  • Options

<< <i> My question is what do you think will be the next $ 10,000,000 + coin to be sold ? >>

The 1983 P Quarter? image
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the Nova Constellatio patterns would bring if they were for sale today?
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It won't be a penny. >>

It would be interesting to see what the Mickley specimen of the periods chain cent (The Coin, currently in an PCGS SP67 BN holder) would bring today. Certainly multiples of millions$.
  • Options
    Here's the answer, it's whatever coin someone's willing to pay $10,000,000 for. If it's actually worth that amount or not.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1822 half eagle has my vote since it is unique as far as specimens in private hands (the other two are impounded in the Smithsonian Institution) and was actually made for use in commerce unlike the others mentioned.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>The 1822 half eagle has my vote since it is unique as far as specimens in private hands (the other two are impounded in the Smithsonian Institution) and was actually made for use in commerce unlike the others mentioned. >>

But why would the Pogues sell? image
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will "stretch pay" count?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The 1822 half eagle has my vote since it is unique as far as specimens in private hands (the other two are impounded in the Smithsonian Institution) and was actually made for use in commerce unlike the others mentioned. >>

But why would the Pogues sell? image >>

Why does anyone sell a valuable coin? I don't think it'll come on the market any time soon but you never know.

• Options

<< <i>1877 Gold pattern estimated by PCGS to be a 15 million dollar coin >>

I thought the only two 1877 gold Half Union patterns were impounded in the Smithsonian Institution.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I thought the only two 1877 gold Half Union patterns were impounded in the Smithsonian Institution. >>

you are correct, after I replied I did do some research. Both coins "given back" to the mint. Last sales price was 10k. >>

I remember reading that J. P. Morgan tried to buy them from the US government but was unsuccessful. The SI also has the unique 1849 Liberty double eagle which would also bring an extremely high price if it ever went to auction.

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Will "stretch pay" count? >>

LOL

It did!
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I thought the only two 1877 gold Half Union patterns were impounded in the Smithsonian Institution. >>

you are correct, after I replied I did do some research. Both coins "given back" to the mint. Last sales price was 10k. >>

That was Woodin and he didn't just 'give' them back, he traded them back. And he traded them for a couple of crates of pattern coinage. And that transaction allowed him and Adams to classify all of them and the original pattern book, and the old AW numbering, was born.
  • Options

Agreed. Last time this sold publicly was what, Garrett? And the 1822 ans the Brasher sold for the same price. IIRC a little north of $600k.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Why does anyone sell a valuable coin? I don't think it'll come on the market any time soon but you never know. >>

Unless they sell the ENTIRE set, why would they sell a key out of it?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Why does anyone sell a valuable coin? I don't think it'll come on the market any time soon but you never know. >>

Unless they sell the ENTIRE set, why would they sell a key out of it? >>

They need the money image

• Options
    When you need money, you sell the replaceable stuff - not the key
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of us won't be around to see the Pogue set or key coins sold. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it will be the s-79 i'm going to find in choice unc

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    The Pogues need the money ...... Ha ha ha ha ha

And David Hall will soon be dating Paris Hilton

Believe me when I say that will NEVER happen

Stewart
  • Options

<< <i>The Pogues need the money ...... Ha ha ha ha ha

Stewart >>

Yep, thus the wink image
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    It will be sold on Ebay...
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options

<< <i>The Pogues need the money ...... Ha ha ha ha ha

Stewart >>

Unless the Pogues are immortal the 1822 half eagle will be for sale some day unless he has children that collect coins or he leaves the coin to the ANA museum or a similar institution.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that image "eighth wonder of the world". Let me buy you lunch Stewart.
  • Options

<< <i>I do not see the 1933 $20 as a $10M coin. One of thirteen with more out there is quite a bit different than one of three. Who knows - the Langbords could easily win their appeal based upon the judge's erroneous 'misguided legal strategy' ruling. IMO >>

The Langbord 1933 double eagles might influence the market price for these coins because it is now known that the coin is not that rare, but so far as thinking that they "could easily win their appeal" that's a pipedream. It's over. The government has taken back their "property," and nothing will ever change that regardless of the true facts in the case.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    I personally did not think the Newman coins would ever be sold.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    My two cents, now valued at 1.5c says the likelihood of the Pogues selling is almost nil. They have made this clear from the start and I believe they plan to bequeath them to a deserving institution when the time arrives.

Now...the tough question is, when will Mr. Stewart Blay sell? I think every taxman in the country would have to retire to the Carribean first. image

I would greatly enjoy seeing The Blay Amassment go for grabs one day. Juicy stuff included.

NFS means NFS means "you'll pay WHAT?" image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file