Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

More SF ASE proofs on the way

BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
So much for the 250k on the S proofs....

New Set

Comments

• Options
    JimDepotJimDepot Posts: 957 ✭✭
    I only get a Charter link to the mints site, nothing about S proofs.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Maybe this will work:

Try this

oops...too late...thanks
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Also means that to get the 75th Set Label they'll have to be sealed or in to PCGS very quickly!
  • Options

<< <i>Also means that to get the 75th Set Label they'll have to be sealed or in to PCGS very quickly! >>

Interesting point.....Since the sale date is early August....and these could ship before the 30 window is up....you could get a SF 2 coin set label on this proof without it being from the set???

I am waiting for the TPG's to go Ape sheit.....I can see the last minute requirement changing to sealed boxes only for the 75th SF set
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.....I can see the last minute requirement changing to sealed boxes only for the 75th SF set >>

You are right, we might have to keep everything sealed at this point.
  • Options
    50% of 75th Set profits just went out the window...thanks Mint!
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curse you U.S. Mint!!!
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Surprize, surprize, surprize!! (In my best Gomer voice)
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666
    i read this thread and cancelled my order placed in the first 20 minutes of sales. they were way overpriced to begin with.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone confirmed that the proof ASE will have the "S" mintmark? I know the text indicates that the coin will "honor the history of coin minting at the SF mint", but it doesn't specifically say it will have the "S" mintmark...
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone confirmed that the proof ASE will have the "S" mintmark? I know the text indicates that the coin will "honor the history of coin minting at the SF mint", but it doesn't specifically say it will have the "S" mintmark... >>

My thoughts also. The description isn't that clear. There's still time to cancel the 2 coin set you ordered. I just checked and the cancel box is still there 10 days out from the anticipated ship date.

• Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Kudbegud, this Kudbebad!image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    It most definitely will have the "S" mint mark.
  • Options
    Although this is bad news for the 75th Set, it's good for the ASE semi-keys: 2008/07, 2011-S&RP, 2006 RP, and 2012 RP. If we get too many semi-keys, it'll dilute the others.
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure it's going to have much if any impact on the 75th sets... in my opinion. Even if they sell 100,000 of them which I think is HIGHLY unlikely it only boosts the mintage of one of the two coins in the set to 350K, still very low for a proof ASE.....

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options

<< <i>Kudbegud, this Kudbebad!image >>

Could be, might be, may be...but is it? I am going to call Customer Service and see if I can get clarification. Possibly at 2AM my time (8 AM EDT) if I'm still up. I'd rather know than guess or get carried away by what I think is being said. (As much as I can expect a straight answer from Customer Service, ya know? image )

How many think the description on the mint catalog page is 100% clear that the Proof 2012 ASE will have an "S" mint mark?

How many think there is some clarification needed?

Is it possible that the reverse proof "S" ASE could benefit if additional regular "S" proofs are issued?

John is right, how many of these special products will be sold? Will YOU be buying any? Aren't these even more esoteric than the 2 coin set? Any speculation on a sales number?

• Options
    Does it state "reverse proof" or is this another regular prooof with the "S" mint mark? That would make 5 collector versions this year if so.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭
    This exact scenario played out with the 2006-W Burnished SAE, 2006-W Proof SAE and the 2006 20th Anniversary Silver Eagle Sets. The 2006 20th Anniversary Set's announcement in early August 2006 was met with applause which turned to boo's when the 2006-W SAE individual coin was announced in late August 2006

Sales and orders were lackluster to say the least. The 2006 20th Anniversary set suffered some boo's as well since the Proof coin (2006-W) had been available months (Feb 2nd, 2006) before the set announcement.

So, 2 out of the three coins were available as individual orders which left the Reverse Proof as the solitary "unique" coin for the Set. Orders opened in August for the 20th Anniversary Set and had not sold out by October 23rd. Thats a full two months that the set, with a PUBLISHED maximum of 250,000 sets, sat waiting to be ordered.

Nearly everybody turned their noses up at the 2006-W adn the 20th Anniversary Set. Until they became unavailable that is. Then thigs turned to the positive side.

Lo and behold, the very set that nobody seemed to want still has a value close to three times its issue price.

As for this 2012-S Proof announcement? The coin is in a Coin and Currency Set which may or may not have popularity. As such, it's mintage may be well less than 50,000 pieces which would still put the 2012-S SAE Proof below 300,000 coins.

I'm guessing that regardless of where the coins are available, the 75th Annoversary Sets will be hugely popular with some sustaining values. The reason I say that os because once you tell folks that they can no longer have it, they all want it.

We'll have to wait and see.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>i read this thread and cancelled my order placed in the first 20 minutes of sales. they were way overpriced to begin with. >>

I did the same. No more Mint products for me.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>i read this thread and cancelled my order placed in the first 20 minutes of sales. they were way overpriced to begin with. >>

I did the same. No more Mint products for me. >>

This exact scenerio played out with the 20th Anniversary SAE Sets.

Orders were cancelled because of perceived availability and folks thought that $100 was out of line for 3 oz of Silver which was selling at about $7 an ounce. Lot's of whining about the "expensive" packaging! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Seems to be its all about the label now. Any idea how many/what type PCGS is offering on the 2 coin set.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I did the same. No more Mint products for me. >>

Cool image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Hey US Mint - what a total surprise offering! image

I was just wondering ......... would it be too late to get a couple of those 1995-W Proof SAE's? I wasn't buying Coins back during that time period.

I was just wondering.image

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ASE's, Flipper's DOA.

Chest compressions are in order!

The Mint, gotta give it to em' for ASE Set strangulation......
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    When we begged them for some a few years ago they could not find the silver to make them.

Now they have plenty of silver.

Well, they can keep it.

I want no part of the mint or their expensive products.

I could smell something like this happening and refused to order.
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    Well if this many people cancel (out of 150G), then what does that do to the population of eligible 75th set First Strike labels? And then there are those 2012 RP pop numbers. still watching the sideshow

(l8-)>>

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Hmm... Think of it, an S proof without a mint mark. Anything's possible.
  • Options
    I would like to know if I can send in this S proof for grading and request a 75th SF set label on it.....

Oh...and I can hear the sound of cancel boxes disappearing before word really gets out

Edited to add: This set would have been PERFECT with a burnished S instead of a repeat of the proof
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    More people please cancel your orders, please.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options

<< <i> This set would have been PERFECT with a burnished S instead >>

That would have been the smart marketing move for the USM - a burnished instead of a Proof.

Who is in charge over there? They need to "upgrade" their marketing team.........
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ordered 2 sets on Day 1...and said that I would hold tight for further developments.

And I'm still holding...no changes here.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    So are they going to give a 220 year mint anniversary label for the silver eagles out of this set? I think the $5 note is worth exactly five dollars and not a penny more.
  • Options
    In 2000 (and still now) they have a millenium set label for the silver eagle from west point mint......the mintage on that set was around 75K
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone remind me what they did to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the mint in 1992.
  • Options
    badhop55badhop55 Posts: 156 ✭✭
    I called the Mint about 45 mins ago. The rep I talked with said nothing had been decided concerning the mint mark but that they were leaning toward a "W" mark at that time but she reiterated nothing was in stone when we talked. I put my 2 cents in telling her a "S" mark would feel like a sucker punch in light of the 2 coin set. She mentioned others have called and expressed similar concerns.

Doesn't sound like a done deal quite yet.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems to be its all about the label now. Any idea how many/what type PCGS is offering on the 2 coin set. >>

I can't even keep track of all the labels anymore. It's only a matter of time before someone rights a book about labels.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>I called the Mint about 45 mins ago. The rep I talked with said nothing had been decided concerning the mint mark but that they were leaning toward a "W" mark at that time but she reiterated nothing was in stone when we talked. I put my 2 cents in telling her a "S" mark would feel like a sucker punch in light of the 2 coin set. She mentioned others have called and expressed similar concerns.

Doesn't sound like a done deal quite yet. >>

Hmmmmm... "This 2012 American Eagle Silver Proof Coin not only honors the artistry and design of our Nation’s coins, but also honors the heritage of coin production at the United States Mint at San Francisco. "
  • Options

<< <i>I called the Mint about 45 mins ago. The rep I talked with said nothing had been decided concerning the mint mark but that they were leaning toward a "W" mark at that time but she reiterated nothing was in stone when we talked. I put my 2 cents in telling her a "S" mark would feel like a sucker punch in light of the 2 coin set. She mentioned others have called and expressed similar concerns.

I too called, was told much the same and was directed to the mints 202 number, which I called and just hung up from. My question was noted with my phone number and I was told that I would get a call back in a few minutes. Lets see if they do.

• Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Whre is Eric ?? We need his internal Mint input !! Stay Tuned !!
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    My money is on "it's an S mint proof"

the USM put the screws to the collector AGAIN.

Celebrate 220 years of coinage with a little "CC" on the back, i'm sure everyone would be happy.......just a short drive east.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not for nothing...but doesn't this item offering blow a major hole in the logic of having a "limited sales period" along with the drama of a sales counter...which is now largely moot?!?

Very odd and surprising (and not in a good way) move here.
  • Options

Hopefully, you weren't talking to someone from the Ordering line since they have no idea what the US Mint is doing. They only take orders for currently available products.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Not for nothing...but doesn't this item offering blow a major hole in the logic of having a "limited sales period" along with the drama of a sales counter...which is now largely moot?!?

Very odd and surprising (and not in a good way) move here. >>

No call back from the mint...why am I not surprised? Maybe Eric can get an answer from inside.

It would be a shot to the gut if the mint pulls this additional "S" proof source after the "limited" ordering two coin set. A betrayal of collectors faith and trust. Any credibility the mint has left will be severely damaged.

• Options
    MM Posts: 363
    The US Mint Blog is reporting that the Making American Coin and Currency Set includes the 2012 S Proof Silver Eagle - unbelievable to go through the big counter thing for a month then they nonchalantly throw this coin out like an afterthought!

http://mintnewsblog.com/
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Not for nothing...but doesn't this item offering blow a major hole in the logic of having a "limited sales period" along with the drama of a sales counter...which is now largely moot?!?

Very odd and surprising (and not in a good way) move here. >>

No call back from the mint...why am I not surprised? Maybe Eric can get an answer from inside.

It would be a shot to the gut if the mint pulls this additional "S" proof source after the "limited" ordering two coin set. A betrayal of collectors faith and trust. Any credibility the mint has left will be severely damaged. >>

MONOPOLY, they have us at their mercy.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    MM Posts: 363
    Wonder how the SF sets will be authenticated for grading now that the Mint News Blog has confirmed the same S proof coin will be in the Making American set? Sealed boxes only?
  • Options
    The first date to order this new set is August 7th and if the mint follows typical order to ship timing for sets like this, then Anniversary set designation and/or first strike labeling would be beyond the 30 day window triggered by the shipping of the two coin set. Probably image

• Options
    I think we should all cancel our 75th Set orders!!! READY GO...image
  • Options
    The Mint would satisfy most of us with a slight design change--different size "S" or different font lettering...larger or smaller date...

EDIT: However, I'm guessing they've already made them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file