Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Colorado Springs Club 50th Anniv. Medal by DCarr

blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
Apparently I was lucky and got one of these medals that sold-out quick. I was told many others were trying to buy the silver medals and I was lucky to ave had my name in so quick to get one. I know Daniel Carr must have thick skin since he is still on these boards, so he can take the following. There are some coins/medals by him I like and some don't do much for me. This has to be my favorite I have ever seen of his work, I really, really like the reverse.

71 of them made and sold out quick. I don't think 71 were actually sold.

Disclaimer: I have not had time to image my own, this coin belongs to USAROK the club president.

No squirrels were harmed in the making of this post.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Comments

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I tried to buy the satin finish in silver, but was denied, limited mintage the reason, the only reason I wanted two for flippage.

Now that I see a detailed pic, uhmm, I guess Palmer did not have a nose.

Proof finish purchasing is still available until the 21st as I recall.

Looking for the next set of holograms from DC, I'm out on this one, seeing the pic of the obverse. The reverse doesn't do much for me, either, seen this Liberty before.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks,

The picture in the first post has a strange reflection on Palmer's face, which does not accurately show how it was sculpted.
    Here is a different picture of a silver medal, which shows the satin luster:

PS:
    Proof-like versions are pending.
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look like different dies. Three creases at the bottom of the coat vs. 2. Verticle joins in the pedistal vs. none?
  • Options

<< <i>They look like different dies. Three creases at the bottom of the coat vs. 2. Verticle joins in the pedistal vs. none? >>

Same dies, just different lighting. Only one pair of dies was made.
  • Options
    Second set of pics look a lot better, no doubt, maybe I'm in, $65 for CSCC, have to think about it.
  • Options
    Apparently I blasted his face off with my lighting....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Disclaimer: I have not had time to image my own, this coin belongs to USAROK the club president.

>>

WTF >>

?????
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Disclaimer: I have not had time to image my own, this coin belongs to USAROK the club president.

>>

WTF >>

????? >>

Busted. I mis-read your post. Mea Culpa. You imaged the USarok's coin, not your own coin, I thought that was the USAROK coin image. My apology.
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Points out lightings impact...Nice coin DC.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hello,

Its nice, but I still can't get used to the backwards orientation of the Palmer sculpture and background, artistic license aside. What are the circular light - what - die polish marks? Mostly visible on the Reverse.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice medal dcarr.... well done... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Hello,

Its nice, but I still can't get used to the backwards orientation of the Palmer sculpture and background, artistic license aside. What are the circular light - what - die polish marks? Mostly visible on the Reverse.

Best wishes,
    Eric >>

The faint concentric circles on the fields of the "1862" $5 icon, are what some people call "lathe marks".
  • Options
    Hello,

I was wondering - but aren't lathe marks usually confined to the fields and less intermittent in appearance? In any event, it appears you recreated an imperfection of the original process (does Computer Numeric Control engraving involve a lathe? I don't know), and that I like image

Best wishes,
    Eric

Edit to add the marks are on the Obverse as well in fields and devices. I see lathe marks on the 1862, then it breaks over the blank area, and appears again in your lettering? On the Obverse it is apparent on the mountain but not the sky? Very interesting choices!
  • Options

<< <i>Hello,

I was wondering - but aren't lathe marks usually confined to the fields and less intermittent in appearance? In any event, it appears you recreated an imperfection of the original process (does Computer Numeric Control engraving involve a lathe? I don't know), and that I like image

Best wishes,
    Eric

Edit to add the marks are on the Obverse as well in fields and devices. I see lathe marks on the 1862, then it breaks over the blank area, and appears again in your lettering? On the Obverse it is apparent on the mountain but not the sky? Very interesting choices! >>

I sand the fields on the dies, so any lathe marks there are eradiated. I use my own software to sculpt the designs, along with a computer-controlled milling/engraving machine. The "lathe marks" are actually slight errors in the Z-axis positioning of the machine. I have a better machine on order - not sure when I might get it.
  • Options

<< <i>The "lathe marks" are actually slight errors in the Z-axis positioning of the machine. I have a better machine on order - not sure when I might get it. >>

Hello,

I could not tell X from Y or Z, but I do admire the 3/4 expression of the General - very emotive. Very nice image

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    I see Oregon Trails, holograms and bullion bars are new this morning on Dan's site.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 50 Holograms are gone.......no more.

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 50 Holograms are gone.......no more. >>

Doesn't take long does it. i got lucky this time. The Titanic Debt HT tokens is cool too. i grabbed a set.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    less than 12hr for a sale out ....
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's also a gold version (50g). I was told three were made. The one I saw was stunning.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>There's also a gold version (50g). I was told three were made. The one I saw was stunning. >>

[Colorado Springs Coin Club 50th Anniversary Medal]

3 Struck in 39mm 50-gram 999 gold with satin finish.
    2 Struck in 39mm 50-gram 999 gold with proof-like finish.

Proof-like versions in copper/brass/silver are pending.
  • Options
    got my order yesterday very cool in hand a big thanks to George Mountford for hooking me up
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388

<< <i>got my order yesterday very cool in hand a big thanks to George Mountford for hooking me up >>

You've got enough to start your own club.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>got my order yesterday very cool in hand a big thanks to George Mountford for hooking me up >>

You've got enough to start your own club. >>

INVESTMENT.... did u see what some of the club tokens made by him sold for the otherday on ebay
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    As long as you remember the old adage: Past performance is not an indication of future performance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file