Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My foolish eBay $12 toilet-flush gamble of the day - RESULTS in post #30

seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
What can I say, I had a little money in my PayPal account and took a few minutes at lunch to find a creative way to spend it. This is the auction, and the seller's picture is below:

I have a hunch that the coin highlighted below is the DDO, based on some subtle pick-up points I've learned over the years:

I'll update this thread with the results of what I find after the roll arrives, whether it turns out I'm a genius or a fool. image

Sean Reynolds

EDITED TO ADD results in the 30th post image

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully they are the coins you get and that it isn't a stock photo.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I love doing stuff like this! Hopefully it works out to be the DDO.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm seeing what you're seeing- good luck!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck on your gamble.

If you do not find a 1917 DDO and you want one in your collection I know the owner of one of the two PCGS MS67 examples of the coin. If you have an interest in that coin let me know.
  • Options
    It might have been less of a gamble if you had waited to receive the lot.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, if that is the DDO, nice job! image

And if so, what are the odds of that coin being in a random lot of wheats, and then showing up, facing up in the picture!?
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, if that is the DDO, nice job! image

And if so, what are the odds of that coin being in a random lot of wheats, and then showing up, facing up in the picture!? >>

The auction is for a circ roll of 1917 cents, which is what I decided to look for with my PayPal funds burning a hole in my pocket. I didn't expect to find a DDO in the auction photos, I just wanted a reasonably priced roll without any culls. This one in particular I was ready to pass by completely until I looked carefully at the photo.

I've cherrypicked several auctions where the coin on the end of an "unsearched" roll is an unattributed variety, so it's not unheard of. I've also seen a seller use a stock photo of an unattributed 1936 DDO on a listing for a circ roll; only when pressed did he admit the coin in the photo was not included. So I suppose it's possible the photo was seeded with that coin, but honestly if that was the intention the seller did a terrible job of it; the auction was almost a month old when I hit the BIN.

@cmerlo, thanks for chiming in, someday we should compare notes and see if we're really seeing the same things we think we're seeing image

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

I see something on that resembling some pickup points, good luck. Maybe one of the 50 will be.....or more!
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you may have hit the jackpot. You know, Like 777 on a slot machine. image
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    To my untrained eye, I am drawn to the 7 in 1917 and to the TR in Trust. The appearance of that number and those two letters indicate to me that the coin may be a DDO. Perhaps it has to do with what appears to be thickening of that number and those two letters. Taking a second look at the photo also causes me to think that the look of the B in Liberty also indicates a DDO.

Am I on track or is my mind just playing tricks on me?
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worth the gamble!!, I do it all the time. looks like a good shot to me.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Looks like it to me too.

Good luck!
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the subtle pick up points?
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    I just checked a photo of the MS67 RD coin and compared it to the Sean's pictured coin.

The 9 and the 7 in the date in Sean's coin look just like the 9 and the 7 in the MS67 RD coin. So also does the E in WE, the D in GOD and the TR in TRUST look the same in both pictures.

Comparing the two pictures give one a good sense of what PUP's to look for when you are searching 1917 cents.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GOOD LUCK

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once bought a lot of IH pennies that were pictured like these 1917's. There was a 1909 there,a nice one,in the auction picture and I assumed that I would be receiving it with the others.

I was wrong.It was a stock photo.image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

<< <i>What are the subtle pick up points? >>

Funny you should ask.... I just dug out some photos I took years ago of a damaged VG example, a corroded AG example, and a normal 1917 with strike doubling. I used these to sell the center coin (the corroded AG) on eBay, it was my way of convincing bidders the coin was properly attributed.

On the image above, look at the crossbar of the 7, which is twice as thick as the tail. Look also at the 9, because of the direction of the doubling, the 9 has a thicker "hump" and the end of the curl is thicker too, but the tail and the upper left part of the curve are thin. There is also faint notching at the bottom right corner of both 1s in the date, tough to see in very low grades.

This isn't the best photo to illustrate it, but the word TRUST is the easiest place for me to see this variety. The upper crossbar of the T will be normal thickness, but the lower vertical bar will be twice as thick and not centered under the crossbar. Even in a terrible photo, the left side of the crossbar looks twice as long as the right, again this is because of the direction and nature of the doubling (this is pivoted hub doubling, not rotated hub, they look quite different). It's hard to see because of the damage but the two curls of the S will be thicker than the center, top and bottom - almost as if it was written with a caligraphy pen.

In this picture you can better see what I'm talking about with the crossbar of the T. The R is also thicker on the right side only, while the U is thicker on the upright parts of the letter but not at the bottom. It is not pictured but WE has similar quirks, the horizontal lines of the E will look longer on the DDO and the W slightly thicker.

As I said, these are very subtle pick-up points, but with an example in hand as a reference (or good photos in the grade range you're searching) and a LOT of practice, they will jump right out at you. On the coin in the OP, I first noticed the thickness of the 9 and 7 in the date, and after squinting at my monitor for a while I could see some of the traits in TRUST as well (or at least, I convinced myself that I did).

I've been trying to cherrypick one of these off eBay for years, I've found them in rolls before but never sniffed one out from an auction photo. I want to be right not because of any financial windfall, but because I want to cross finding this variety off my bucket list. image

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll see if I can find any other pics of mine Sean

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found one more Sean
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Quick update - the roll arrived today, I went through it quickly and I believe I have identified the coin highlighted in the image in the first post. I will take better photos of it tonight and post them here.

I won't spoil the results except to say that I went through the other 49 coins in the roll and what a motley bunch, more than half of them culls and none grading better than VG.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You tease.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, is it the famous "Kissing Lincolns" die or not???
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is quite a catch... spotting that in the photo was great work... congratulations. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>That is quite a catch... spotting that in the photo was great work... congratulations. Cheers, RickO >>

Hold off on those accolades for now, I haven't said if the coin was actually the DDO or not. image

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you didn't get the DDO, I'd like to see you re-list the roll on eBay with an Uber-honest description, like "Roll of pathetically worn 1917 cents. More than half ugly culls." Then send a link to the previous seller just for fun, and see how much it goes for. Might as well have some fun with it!

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope you did get a DDO
  • Options
    Are the DDOs valuable in such low grade?
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well....... image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay, it took longer to process the pictures on my old computer than I'd planned. So as a refresher, here's the picture from the auction with the coin I suspected was a DDO highlighted:

I'm fairly certain this coin is the one in the photo, based on the dark spot behind Lincoln's shoulder and the discoloration at the rim at K-3:

The attribution should be a bit easier with the large photo, but in case it is still not clear, here are some close-ups: image

So yes it is the DDO, but unfortunately the coin has lots of recent deep scratches on both sides (the reverse is shown below). I'd say overall the coin has Good-6 details but I'd net-grade it down to AG. I'm at least happy the rims are full on both sides, unlike most of the other coins in the roll, and that the diagnostics for the variety are still intact and easily identifiable. (EDIT: Forgot the reverse pic image )

Sean Reynolds

• Options

<< <i>If you didn't get the DDO, I'd like to see you re-list the roll on eBay with an Uber-honest description, like "Roll of pathetically worn 1917 cents. More than half ugly culls." Then send a link to the previous seller just for fun, and see how much it goes for. Might as well have some fun with it! >>

This is exactly what I was thinking about doing, except I'd also mention that bidders shouldn't expect to find any doubled dies in there because I'd already pulled them all out. image

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go Sean!!!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Little back ground on the 1917 DDO, how rare? how valuable? Please
  • Options

<< <i>Little back ground on the 1917 DDO, how rare? how valuable? Please >>

This one is just scarce in low grades, it gets rare in grades about VF. A problem free Good example is probably worth $50 to $75, this coin maybe a bit less due to the damage. A couple of years ago I sold one in PCGS VG10 for about $175.

So it's not a grand financial score, rather I'm excited to share it because of the personal achievement. I've found a few examples searching rolls or bags, but despite years of looking, before this coin I've never cherrypicked one.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the findimage
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Sean
    Very Interesting story and photos, My work is done today I have learned something about coins again today (1917 DDO Lincolns)
    Thank You, Now I will have to check my stash of 1917 cents.
    Bob
    Bob

• Options
    TTT for the day crowd.

Sean

• Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    A very interesting and informative read. Thanks. And great sleuthing!
    zap
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    Good work, interesting thread!
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, you got me looking at my old folders from mom and dad and I swear the 1917 is the same, The bottom of t is definitly not centered its off to the right and is thicker than the top of T . If I can get the scanner to work, My example is not in as good as shape as yours.......thanks for sharing...........Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Sean.

Do you suppose the seller knew that this particular coin was a damaged DDO and put it intentionally in plain sight? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good eye any way keep up the good work. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You da Lincoln Man!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done Sean! Good eye, and educational for many, me included! image
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Nice catch.
  • Options
    TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭
    Great catch, I am glad it worked out for you.
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Very nice work!
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gamble paid off!image
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really need to start checking for this stuff.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file