Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a modern reproduction of an 1801 Half?

1801 Half Dollar? (eBay)

This coin doesn't match a known die marriage and doesn't exactly look REAL, but it isn't a super obvious looking counterfeit unless you know the series.

Should this listing be reported?

Comments

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is fake, it's one of the better fakes I've seen.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is well out of my area of expertise, That said, the "look" doesn't seem quite right even to my eye. I look forward to seeing posts on this question by those who really know the series.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Date altered from 1806?
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The edge of the coin looks very smooth considering the amount of wear on the rest of the coin. Other than that, don't know and haven't taken the time to research it.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no stem through the claw. It is not an 1801.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Here is the coin so people don't have to link to ebay.

imageimage
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options

<< <i>There is no stem through the claw. It is not an 1801. >>

That's the kind of insight I was hoping to see! Thanks TomB. Now, does knowing it's NOT an 1801 make it possible to nail down the die marriage identification and determine the host coin's real date?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    The general mushiness of the coin makes me think it's an out-and-out counterfeit instead of an altered date. Probably Chinese from a couple of years ago.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    The date is extremely bold compared to the rest of the coin. I presume that is not a characteristic of real coins of that date and grade range?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The date is extremely bold compared to the rest of the coin. I presume that is not a characteristic of real coins of that date and grade range? >>

I think that is a red flag for just about every series of coin as being a fake.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There is no stem through the claw. It is not an 1801. >>

That's the kind of insight I was hoping to see! Thanks TomB. Now, does knowing it's NOT an 1801 make it possible to nail down the die marriage identification and determine the host coin's real date? >>

I think it is a counterfeit.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    COIN PHOTO IS THE ONE YOU WILL RECEIVE

Thanks for the warning. image

It's fake.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If real unknown variety, it would be worth well into 6-figures, many BHNC members track all busties on eBay, current bid $100, therefore fake.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absatively counterfeit!
    TD

Edited to add: Reported.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cast counterfeit made from an 1806 O.109 that was used as a mold. The 180 in the date was made deeper and wider, and the 1 was added. The higher relief of the date is one tip-off as a fake. Also, the hub style used in 1801 to mid-1805 is different than 1806-1807. There are differences in the ribbon, top curl, and drapery of the two hub sub-varieties. The first hub has slightly higher relief with Miss Liberty.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it's made out of lead. Perhaps it's a contemporary counterfeit and was made in the early 1800's with the intent to silver plate it and pass it as a half dollar.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is the coin so people don't have to link to ebay.

imageimage >>

The 1801, 1802, 1803 and 1805 half dollars were struck in higher relief than this is. This looks like a worn 1806 and 1807 half dollar. As such I would not call it a "good fake" because those who have examined the real thing in detail could spot it farily easily.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The photo looks straight out of Spadone's book.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Here is the coin so people don't have to link to ebay.

imageimage >>

The 1801, 1802, 1803 and 1805 half dollars were struck in higher relief than this is. This looks like a worn 1806 and 1807 half dollar. As such I would not call it a "good fake" because those who have examined the real thing in detail could spot it farily easily. >>

Good fake is relative. Yes, probably not a good fake to those whos collect and study this series. However, a bad fake to me is one I don't have to look at a book to determine it is fake.
  • Options
    Auction has been yanked by eBay
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my authentic 1801. IIRC, there are only two die pairs.

imageimage
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK...I'm sorry..but that isn't GOLD. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>RYK...I'm sorry..but that isn't GOLD. image >>

Yea, but it's as good as gold. image The 1801 and 1802 half dollars are way cool. The trouble is I can't collect everything so I don't have one.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file