Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1938 Proof Walking Liberty (Could it CAM?)

I recently purchased this coin on Teletrade certified by ANACS.

Teletrade Auction Link

I also found a link on ANACS about the coin being certified.

ANACS Coin Article

If I were to have PCGS certify the coin, then would they put "re-engraved rays" on the slab?
Do I have to request this?
Do I send the coin still slabbed from ANACS?
Does the "re-engraved rays" placed on the slab an extra cost?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to cover all the bases.

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Options
    I don't known about the rays but well bought on the coin. It has a lot of contrast and you bought well below retail
  • Options
    Wow, I'd like to see that Walker in person. I wonder and hope it is as frosty as those photos imply.

Sorry, no answers for your questions...
  • Options

<< <i>I recently purchased this coin on Teletrade certified by ANACS.

Teletrade Auction Link

I also found a link on ANACS about the coin being certified.

ANACS Coin Article

If I were to have PCGS certify the coin, then would they put "re-engraved rays" on the slab?
    Do I have to request this?
    Do I send the coin still slabbed from ANACS?
    Does the "re-engraved rays" placed on the slab an extra cost?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to cover all the bases.

Thanks,

Chris >>

If having the "re-engraved rays" is that important you on the label, I would leave it as is.
  • Options

There's probably a reason it's in a ANACS slab. And while I can't say for certain, it may just be tooled. Also, if PCGS doesn't list it as a variety, then it cannot be noted on the holder (for the additional fee).
  • Options

<< <i>There's probably a reason it's in a ANACS slab. And while I can't say for certain, it may just be tooled. Also, if PCGS doesn't list it as a variety, then it cannot be noted on the holder (for the additional fee). >>

My opinion, it won't cross over with that on the label.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not familiar with the die re-engraving on the 1938 Proof halves. Reminds me of the 1938 Proof nickel dies with the re-engraved serifs.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the B&M here, there is a 1939 proof with hand-engraved designer's initials, similar to the 1944-D variety... If I could afford to buy it, I would.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    May 8, 2012, Update: After looking the coin over, I don't seem to see a designer's initials on the reverse. I know the 1941 is commonly found without initials, but is the 1938 found without initials?

Thanks,

Chris
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Almost looks cameoish......the sun in the teletrade link looks frosted
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    There appears to be some remnants of AW's initials, not quite sure what is going on there and yes, re-engraved rays are a variety and so noted by ANACS, but I do not think it is carried by the other top tier grading companies.

Good question for our host to answer unless one of the members has had one noted as such.

Nice proof Walker.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    there appears to be some remnants of AW's initials...
    in this crowd too as i see um...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    May 5, 2013: Does anyone think this would CAM at PCGS?

Thanks,

Chris
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>There's probably a reason it's in a ANACS slab. And while I can't say for certain, it may just be tooled. Also, if PCGS doesn't list it as a variety, then it cannot be noted on the holder (for the additional fee). >>

Tooled? image

Really?

Damn, why do people bump such old threads. image

To answer your question, no. Not a chance. Not even a little, itty, bitty chance.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Tooled? image

Really?

Damn, why do people bump such old threads. image

To answer your question, no. Not a chance. Not even a little, itty, bitty chance. >>

Maybe because the OP didn't get an answer so he bumped it? Nothing wrong with that. I agree that there's no way it would CAM.
  • Options
    Them pictures really bring out the bad things on the coin. It probably looks less bad in hand. image
    Taylor
    Also known as coinman101---
    I am a YN and I do not want anybody to question my IQ Level! I don't know everything and came here to learn! image
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sun may hold it back.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way to get a Walker to CAM at PCGS is for the sun to be frosted just as the portrait and the rest of the devices are.

I can't tell from the pic whether or not the sun is frosted, but you have the coin in hand and can answer that question. Either way, it is still a nice coin.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Yup - frosty sun.
    Carl W. showed me some pics back in 2006 or so of a Pr Walker (1942 I think) with a frosty or nearly fully frosty sun. I was an amazing coin!

Eric
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Dammit, why don't they disallow adding new comments to messages that are this old? I don't know how much
    time I have wasted looking through my books for something so old it's no longer relevant.

But as far as the flakeyness of grading services designating these as CAM or DCAM, I thought the
    following Google suggestion was funny

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dammit, why don't they disallow adding new comments to messages that are this old? I don't know how much
    time I have wasted looking through my books for something so old it's no longer relevant.

But as far as the flakeyness of grading services designating these as CAM or DCAM, I thought the
    following Google suggestion was funny

image >>

Good one, Frank!image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yup - frosty sun.
    Carl W. showed me some pics back in 2006 or so of a Pr Walker (1942 I think) with a frosty or nearly fully frosty sun. I was an amazing coin!

Eric >>

FWIW, here's Carl's website. (I'm glad it's still up). It has pictures of the Walker, which is graded NGC PR66CAMEO. If you click on the pictures they will "blow up". Aus3000tin, you can judge your coin against the images and decide what you think with regards to the likelihood of your coin Cameo'ing.

Link

• Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i>

<< <i>Yup - frosty sun.

Eric >>

FWIW, here's Carl's website. (I'm glad it's still up). It has pictures of the Walker, which is graded NGC PR66CAMEO. If you click on the pictures they will "blow up". Aus3000tin, you can judge your coin against the images and decide what you think with regards to the likelihood of your coin Cameo'ing.

Link >>

Hi,

Thanks. I don't believe that is the coin I saw though - certainly not the same pics.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    Thanks Skyman for the link.

It looks like the 1938 Proof Walking Liberty, from the link, also exhibits the re-engraved rays.

Thanks,

Chris
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible the frost was enhanced. I've been leery of ANACS cameo proofs ever since I purchased a "beautiful" DCAM PF65 seated quarter out of a January FUN auction for less money
    than I thought it should have brought. Looked closer to 66 DCAM. The coin was returned by NGC as being altered surfaces (ie frosted). While I couldn't spot the difference I figured
    they knew more than me. I flipped the coin away at a slight loss and moved on. Now the only frosting I get excited about is on my Frosted Flakes.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file