Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

~*~*~ LordM Circ Walker Half Album ~*~*~

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

This set was retired in July 2012 so you can ignore the "Wanted" tags. They were only there so I could see the "empty holes" in the set, anyway.

Here's a modest, semi-casual Walking Liberty half collection in a Dansco #7160 album, begun in early December, 2011.

The goal here is pretty simple: to collect a well-matched set of original grey coins with decent eye appeal. Ideally, these will be in the F-VF range, but a few may fall short of or exceed that. It's more about "The Look" than technical grade. Additionally, I hope to obtain the more common-date pieces at or near melt value. In other words, this is mostly just a fun way to set aside a little bit of bullion for maybe a year or two, I suppose, but to build a coherent collection at the same time. Obviously the key- and semi-key dates will not be obtainable at bullion prices, but it looks as though a large portion of the set should be.

NOTE: though you see "Wanted" tags below, please do not post offers directly on this forum or you'll get me accused of spam. By all means, do PM me if you have some to offer, but this thread is for discussion purposes only. I only added the "Wanted" tags so it could also double as a wantlist when I link into it from BST or elsewhere.

Numismedia FMV trends

PCGS/Photograde standards

Photobucket slideshow & album

image1916-P
(Lg. obv. pic) ~ (Lg. rev. pic). Mintage 608,000. Ex-"2underparchris" (eBay)

image1916-D
(Lg. obv. pic) ~ (Lg. rev. pic). Mintage 1,014,000. Ex- "guitarwes" (CU).

image1916-S
Mintage 508,000.

image1917-P
Mintage 12,292,000. Ex- "guitarwes" (CU).

image1917-D (obverse mintmark)
Mintage 765,400.

image1917-D (reverse mintmark)
Mintage 1,940,000.

image1917-S (obverse mintmark)
Mintage 952,000. Ex-"Walkerguy21D" (CU).

image1917-S (reverse mintmark)
Mintage 5,554,000.

image1918-P
Mintage 6,634,000.

image1918-D
Mintage 3,853,040.

image1918-S
Mintage 10,282,000.

image1919-P
Mintage 962,000.

image1919-D
Mintage 1,165,000.

image1919-S
Mintage 1,552,000.

image1920-P
Mintage 6,372,000.

image1920-D
Mintage 1,551,000.

image1920-S
Mintage 4,624,000.

image1921-P
Mintage 246,000.

image1921-D
Mintage 208,000.

image1921-S
(Lg. obv. pic) ~ (Lg. rev. pic) ~ (Slab pic) ~ (Commentary).
Mintage 548,000. Purchased in an ANACS F12 slab. Ex- "midway1912" (eBay).

image1923-S
Mintage 2,178,000.

image1927-S
Mintage 2,392,000. Ex-"Tdec1000" (CU).

image1928-S
Mintage 1,940,000.

image1929-D
Mintage 1,001,200. Provenance forgotten- maybe "guitarwes" (CU).

image1929-S
Mintage 1,902,000.

image1933-S
Mintage 1,786,000. Ex- "Walkerguy21D" (CU).

image1934-P
Mintage 6,964,000. Ex- "guitarwes" (CU).

image1934-D
Mintage 2,361,000. Ex- "Walkerguy21D" (CU).

image1934-S
Mintage 3,652,000. Ex- "Walkerguy21D" (CU).

image1935-P
Mintage 9,162,000.

image1935-D
Mintage 3,003,800. Ex- "guitarwes" (CU).

image1935-S
Mintage 3,854,000.

image1936-P
Mintage 12,614,000. Ex- "guitarwes" (CU).

image1936-D
Mintage 4,252,400.

image1936-S
Mintage 3,884,000.

image1937-P
Mintage 9,522,000.

image1937-D
Mintage 1,676,000.

image1937-S
Mintage 2,090,000. Ex- "jayPem" (CU).

image1938-P
Mintage 4,110,000. Ex- "guitarwes" (CU).

image1938-D
Mintage 491,600. Ex-"Walkerguy21D" (CU).

image1939-P
Mintage 6,812,000. Ex- "guitarwes" (CU).

image1939-D
Mintage 4,267,800.

image1939-S
Mintage 2,552,000. Ex-"2272davidg" (CU).

image1940-P
Mintage 9,156,000.

image1940-S
Mintage 4,550,000.

image1941-P
Mintage 24,192,000.

image1941-D
Mintage 11,248,400.

image1941-S
Mintage 8,098,000. Ex- "jayPem" (CU).

image1942-P
Mintage 47,818,000.

image1942-D
Mintage 10,973,800.

image1942-S
Mintage 12,708,000. Ex- "jayPem" (CU).

image1943-P
Mintage 53,190,000. Ex- "guitarwes" (CU).

image1943-D
Mintage 11,346,000.

image1943-S
Mintage 13,450,000. Ex- "guitarwes" (CU).

image1944-P
Mintage 28,206,000.

image1944-D
Mintage 9,769,000. Ex- "jayPem" (CU).

image1944-S
Mintage 8,904,000.

image1945-P
Mintage 31,502,000.

image1945-D
Mintage 9,966,800.

image1945-S
Mintage 10,156,000. Ex- "jayPem" (CU).

image1946-P
Mintage 12,118,000.

image1946-D
Mintage 2,151,000.

image1946-S
Mintage 3,724,000. Ex- "jayPem" (CU).

image1947-P
Mintage 4,094,000.

image1947-D
Mintage 3,900,600. Ex- "jayPem" (CU).

Master index of my collections, treasure hunting tales, and other stuff.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    I have a complete circulated set but not all F-VF. Did it back in the late 70's.
  • Options
    I was looking for something fun that wouldn't break the bank, but something I could complete a matched set of. And F-VF is about as high as I could go with the Walker key dates and stay under my self-mandated $500/coin budgetary ceiling. So F-VF it is.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    Good start to a nice project. With my Dansco set the 1921-D is slabbed. Just a PCGS G-6 but I'm not cracking it out.
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking good. Sounds like fun. I just started a circulated buffalo nickel set.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, it all starts out nice and innocent like this, then you decide to upgrade the late dates to AU58, and the early dates to VF/XF......then you upgrade the late dates to MS63, and the early dates to XF/AU, then you decide to update the late dates to 65/66, and the early dates to 63/64, and you get a call from your dealer pal at the Huston Money Show last weekend telling you he found a perfect PCGS 64 CAC 17D Rev for your set, and it's 'only' $3300, and when you hang up and your wife says who was that, you think about lying and saying it was a drug dealer......Stop now while you still can, dude! image
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

image <----- at Greg!!!!!

Seriously, he could not be more correct!
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A nice circulated walker set is one of the really nice and relatively easy* sets to do.

Bravo![/ClintEastwood]
  • Options
    Looks more like the wanted circ walker half dansco. image
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>yes, it all starts out nice and innocent like this, then you decide to upgrade the late dates to AU58, and the early dates to VF/XF......then you upgrade the late dates to MS63, and the early dates to XF/AU, then you decide to update the late dates to 65/66, and the early dates to 63/64, and you get a call from your dealer pal at the Huston Money Show last weekend telling you he found a perfect PCGS 64 CAC 17D Rev for your set, and it's 'only' $3300, and when you hang up and your wife says who was that, you think about lying and saying it was a drug dealer......Stop now while you still can, dude! image >>

i warned him!

he said he could quit anytime...
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options

<< <i>Looks more like the wanted circ walker half dansco. >>

Wow, gimme a break! This collection is barely over a week old! Lotsa empty holes, yet! image

I get the feeling the common date slots will fill up pretty fast, anyway.

<< <i>yes, it all starts out nice and innocent like this, then you decide to upgrade the late dates to AU58, and the early dates to VF/XF......then you upgrade the late dates to MS63, and the early dates to XF/AU, then you decide to update the late dates to 65/66, and the early dates to 63/64, and you get a call from your dealer pal at the Huston Money Show last weekend telling you he found a perfect PCGS 64 CAC 17D Rev for your set, and it's 'only' $3300, and when you hang up and your wife says who was that, you think about lying and saying it was a drug dealer......Stop now while you still can, dude! >>

image No worries, mate. I ain't got the budget for CAC slabbified MS key dates. Ain't ever gonna happen for me in THIS lifetime, unless I hit the lotto or discover I had a long-lost uncle in the Saudi royal family. I'm a low budget guy and I know my place.

Besides, I'm still mostly a Darksider at heart. And in the Liteside, I tend more towards type collecting, and 19th century type at that. So this is a little bit of a departure for me. I had fun with the circ Barber set, though, so this seemed a natural (and perhaps even more affordable) option.

• Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    I am a big fan of the casual set collector. I focus on Lincolns but I have several other sets going in the background which keep me entertained in between major coin purchases. I have almost complete circulated sets of silver Washington Quarters and Roosevelt dimes. Like you, a fun way to save some bullion. I also put together a State Quarters set from circulation, and am constantly upgrading when I find ones in better condition. Thanks for sharing.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options

<< <i>I have several other sets going in the background which keep me entertained in between major coin purchases. >>

Exactly!

<< <i>I also put together a State Quarters set from circulation, and am constantly upgrading when I find ones in better condition. >>

I did that, too. If memory serves, it took me the better part of a year to do the State quarter type folder (not P&D- just one per type). In AU and MS, with one lone EF45-ish piece. That's the most "modern" set I've ever played with, and the first time I've worked a collection out of circulation since I casually played with a Jefferson set. Actually, those SHQ were the first modern set I've ever completed from circulation.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I LOVE F-VF circulated walkers, I recently saw a nice dark 1917-S obverse that looked so cool to me that I just had to buy it. It was cheap, and made me want to do exactly what you're doing. Nice work so far, like the 38-P the best.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Not bad...... from what I count, only 58 to go & only been at it a month!image

I started my own collection (any grade) quite some time ago, but WAY after silver was pulled from circulating coins, so I never did get a chance to get as many as I'd like before my discretionary money started drying up.

However, I did manage to get my holes count down to just 21 - - most of them the early/key dates...

My remaining needs are:
    1916 obv: P/D/S
    1917 obv: D
    1917 rev: D
    1918-P
    1919-P/S
    1920-D
    1921-P/D/S
    1923-S
    1929-D
    1934-S
    1936-S
    1937-D/S
    1938-D
    1939-S
    1940-S

Unfortunately, I can't remember the last time I filled a hole in that folder.......imageimage

- - Dave
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have most of the early Walkers in F-VF; some slabbed some not. I think yours look great! Good luck.
  • Options

<< <i>Not bad...... from what I count, only 58 to go & only been at it a month! >>

Actually, I've been at it barely more than a week.

The seven pieces posted thus far just represent the "starter set" I got from guitarwes, with the album. I first had the idea before Thanksgiving, but didn't take the plunge until I had the album.

Thanks for the input, y'all. I know it ain't much to look at yet, but I figured with the album and starter set in place, it was time to launch the collection thread.

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    I like it! It is fun to find things to collect for cheap. Good luck.
  • Options
    These were the initial seven in the "starter set" I got from guitarwes with the album.

image1917-P

image1934-P

image1935-D

image1938-P

image1943-P

image1943-S

image1944-S

Here's a 1936-P I later got from guitarwes.

It's got a bit of a reverse rim nick, but that doesn't look nearly so bad in hand- my scanner must have exaggerated it. It should look fine in the album, at least for now.

• Options
    Here's a 1942-S I just got in an inexpensive swap from Jordy, aka "jayPem".

Yeah, it's got some faint rim knocks, and is pretty much a generic melt bag coin as he described, but considering what I had in the coin I traded for it, I got it for next to nothing- WAY below melt.

And the rim bumps don't show in the album, so it'll do for now.

Here's a 1916-D I have coming from guitarwes. So I've got a couple of less-common dates now.

Edit: since Wes' photos show a more goldish-brownish color, I thought I'd scan it on my scanner, for comparison. In my scans, not surprisingly, it ends up looking a bit more consistent with the others pictured above.

... and even a semi-key.

No doubt some of y'all saw the 1921-S I posted last night.

• Options
    At the risk of becoming a bore, I'll also post the 1916-P I just won, and then let this sink for a little while until the next ones appear in my mailbox. image

I'm starting to think some of these might be VG instead of Fine. If so, I guess that's all right. I can rethink my "F-VF" parameters since it's early in the game. I just want a decently matched set- it's more about eye appeal to me than technical grade. And I like the look of these so far.

• Options
    That should be a good looking set when finished, good idea.
  • Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set and idea. Coins have a great look to them. Are you going to crack out the one in plastic?

Jim
  • Options
    I like the original look of the coins you're acquiring. Good luck with the set, it's going to be nice.
  • Options
    Hey...I've seen some of those coins when I was a kid...maybe used a few when I was sent to the grocery store...."Got Milk"...!!...image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Schweeet, Rob! Nice circ cams in there and love the set/ idea!!! Keep 'em coming/ thanks for posting. That 21 S in the ANACS slab is a nice grab! All the best, Don
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options

<< <i>Are you going to crack out the one in plastic? >>

Dunno. Probably not.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Are you going to crack out the one in plastic? >>

Dunno. Probably not. >>

You must.
  • Options
    I must? image

I might... later. But I'm in no particular rush to do so.

• Options

<< <i>I must? image

I might... later. But I'm in no particular rush to do so. >>

It's not a dansco circulated walker project if coins are still in slabs. We must have consistency.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set you have going LordM.... I always favored the WLH's.... by the way.. one more post and you hit 47,000...nice milestone and 299 away from ninth place on the top ten... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>It's not a dansco circulated walker project if coins are still in slabs. We must have consistency. >>

Good point, and the true-collector/aesthetic side of me agrees with you. On the other hand, the coin-flipper/pragmatic side of me knows that projects like this typically last only one to three years for me, and if I'm forced to break up the set when I sell it later, I'd just as soon keep the keys in plastic. So for now at least, that '21-S remains in the ANACS slab. I probably won't have too many slabs in this collection- just a couple of the keys at most. But if I were to add a lot of slabbed coins, yeah, I'd probably crack 'em and just keep the inserts, as some folks do. A collection that's half in an album and half in slab boxes is definitely inconsistent.

OK, here are some final newps for 2011.

1937-S. Ex- "jayPem" (CU). Coin #1 of a six-piece lot, for which I swapped him a $60-ish Roman silver coin. Sure, there's a little rim nick on the obverse, but these things are rather exaggerated by my scans, and don't look nearly so bad in hand, particularly when the coins are in the album.

1939-P (coin #1). Ex-"2272davidg" (CU). I bought this coin first and then the guitarwes example, below. There are times when I accidentally double up on the same date. This time I did it semi-on purpose, because both were sight-unseen. I think Dave's coin here has a tiny bit better detail, but they're both very close. In the end I chose to keep the guitarwes coin (#2, below) because I loved its color and look.

1939-P (coin #2). Ex- "guitarwes" (CU). Boy howdy, I wish this whole album was filled with pieces that had this sort of "crusty" or "CircCam" appearance. This coin epitomizes "The Look" I'm after in a circ Walker, just like Wes said it would. Small wonder he's the "godfather" of my circ Walker collection, huh.

So which do YOU like better- the one below, or the one above?

1939-S. Ex-"2272davidg" (CU).

1941-S. Ex- "jayPem" (CU). Coin #2 of the six-piece lot I got in a trade with him.

1944-D. Ex- "jayPem" (CU). Coin #3 of the six-piece lot I got in a trade with him.

1945-S. Ex- "jayPem" (CU). Coin #4 of the six-piece lot I got in a trade with him.

1946-S. Ex- "jayPem" (CU). Coin #5 of the six-piece lot I got in a trade with him.

1947-D. Ex- "jayPem" (CU). Coin #6 of the six-piece lot I got in a trade with him.

Now I've got the album properly "bookended", with the first and last dates filled.

• Options
    The latest additions, to start off 2012.

1927-S.

Hmm. I guess that's more of a VG than a Fine, but oh well. I'm straying a bit away from my F-VF parameters, but there's always upgrade potential.

1933-S.

1934-P.

1934-D.

1934-S.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've infected me.....er, got me enthused. image

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recognize a few old friends in the line up image
    Lookin' good, Rob!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    i have a 23-S and a 38-D if you are still looking
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    Gil- I like your old-school folders and the Roman coin book in the stack. We seem to walk a lot of parallel paths in this hobby. image

Hi, ebaybuyer. I sent you a PM.

Kinda wish you'd sent ME a PM, though, because I don't want to be accused of spamming up a discussion forum. I really just put this collection here for discussion's sake, but added the little "wanted" tags so it can double as a wantlist and I can link to it from elsewhere.

So if anybody has stuff to offer me for this set, please do, but offer it in a PM rather than posting it in the open here, since we're not on the BST.

I wouldn't wanna ruffle anybody's feathers by seeming to be doing business here.

Nevertheless, thanks for the bump. It was nice to see my set rise up from the depths again without intervention on my part. It reminds me I need to start working on a few additions again. Maybe after I've sold some other stuff. image

• Options
    Here's two tougher holes filled, courtesy of Walkerguy21D.

• Options
    I just sold most of this set and the album. All of the common dates are gone so I'm left with the better date ones. I had fun with it, but it was always a casual endeavor, and I knew I'd be selling it in a year or two (or seven months, as the case may be). But I finished one of my primary collections (Roman 12 Caesars) and have now caught Greek Coin Disease (as you can see by my newp avatar), so the Walkers had to walk.

It was fun while it lasted, though. I might pick up another Dansco again later, maybe another go at the 7070 type set or an Indian cent set, if I feel the need to keep a Liteside project going. Right now the only active collection of US coins that remains is my Seated and Barber dime love token date set.

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Rob...

Whatever happened to the VG-F Barber Half dollar set ??? That's always a tough set to complete.
  • Options
    I saw this on the BST and found it to be a wonderful matched set. Looks like it would have been a lot of fun to put together. I used to dislike the obverse of Walkers that were worn like this, but I must admit, they've grown on me. image

By the way, congratulations to the new owner.
    Let's try not to get upset.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file