Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newp: 1877 Seated half (w/grading poll)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's a CircCam Seated half. Sure, it's a common date and in relatively modest grade, and there's a slight hit on the shield, but I wouldn't call that enough to make it a "problem" coin. And I personally like the appearance of this piece. What say you?

Index of similar grading poll threads like this

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Net F... image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record, I voted VF25.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it permissible to have a taunt thread here ? image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    On the 20/25 fence here. I voted VF25. image
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I guessed F15 on this one... looks like you're more optimistic than me here! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Just an FYI, PCGS's grading standards on Seated Halves are REALLLLYYYYYYY loose at the moment.
    I just got a coin back graded two grades above what it should have, and I know another friend also felt several of his Seated Halves were overgraded by a point or two!!!
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's got a nice look to it! I voted VF20.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guessed F15 on this one... looks like you're more optimistic than me here! image >>

I was leaning towards the F 15 grade - but - I decided to look up the New Photograde App
    from PCGS - and sure enough - I was right - its a F 15.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF30, unless they knock it down for the nick on the shield. I posted a few months back about a 1854-O that got sent to the wrong seller. That coin had comparable wear with flawless surfaces, but with E in Liberty completely worn off. It was graded by PCGS as VF30.

Beautiful coin, by the way. I like nice looking, mid grade coins regardless of whether they're rare or not.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF30...
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Compare for yourself. The coin is actually more brown in tone and with more contrast than shown. Your coin has less wear than mine does and my coin is PCGS VF30. Your coin has some nicks, which might affect the grade, whereas while my coin has only a few tiny nicks on the reverse. The obverse fields are so completely mark free it's almost spooky. They were so clean, and the devices seemed a bit glossy, that I suspected polishing and returned it. However, I mailed it to the wrong seller and he, receiving the coin through the mail out of the blue, sent it to PCGS for grading.

Edited to add additional comments

imageimage
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted Fine-12, but there is a small chance that it could come back "genuine." The surfaces appear to be a bit rough from some sort of cleaning like baking soda. The color is also a bit odd (yellowish gray) which could be a white balance problem with the picture.

If I were selling it raw as a dealer, I'd try to get Fine money for it regardless. This type of coin has become surprising hard to find at the shows these days.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file