Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

USPS has me troubled

Yesterday I receive a submission back from our host.
The submission valued at $3000 +or- insured for $2950.
It comes in a priority box signature confirmation delivery.
The carrier simples leaves it at my door???
Is this common? No harm no foul but what about next time?
Would call your postmaster?Do you think they may try and contact me as they cannot confirm delivery?
Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Happens to me all the time. I've almost tripped over boxes right in front of my door in the past. Luckily nothing has been stolen.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It happens to me often and usually saves me a trip to the post office. I am quite happy about it.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would trouble me as well. Yes, I would call the postmaster to let him know.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    TheBigBTheBigB Posts: 942
    That is a problem, the carrier should be disciplined. It defeats the whole purpose of signature confirmation.
  • Options
    People here would complain about free lunch or free beer. It sure is strange and negative crowd.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess the carrier was attempting to save you a trip to the Post Office.
    There was no answer at the door, he/she signed for it and left it.
    I'd speak to the carrier before anyone else.
  • Options

<< <i>People here would complain about free lunch or free beer. It sure is strange and negative crowd. >>

When's the party? I hope it's not on a day I can't attend! You'll probably schedule it so I can't attend! Oh, nevermind! image
  • Options
    ResRes Posts: 1,086
    Personally, I don't mind this as the recipient. If I was the sender, I would be upset.

It's better than what my carrier does - keeps the package without even coming to the door and also failing to leave a note half the time.
  • Options
    RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077
    I live in an apartment building and want to sign to the sender paid for Signature Confirmation.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    My post office would never do this. It happened once and I complained. No way I would have the PO leave a $3K package at my door. All my packages from PCGS are held at my Post Office. I also thought PCGS requires a signature or the package can not be left unsecured.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's a problem, why not get a post office box, change your mailing address to that, and just do everything that way?
    Sounds like folks with this problem are ok going to the post office anyway, so why not?

And, for those that find them outside the front door....are you checking because you expect the package? That's the only time I look out the front door (unless someone knocks on the door). I have an attached garage and always enter/leave the house that way. The lawn service puts their bill on my front door and it can be there, unnoticed, for weeks.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I think it's a problem. Especially if the recipient asks Paypal for a refund since there's no signature confirmation.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would guess the carrier was attempting to save you a trip to the Post Office.
    There was no answer at the door, he/she signed for it and left it.
    I'd speak to the carrier before anyone else. >>

...i'd speak to the carrier too AND i'd ask them WHY didn't they leave a note saying that they made an attempt

to contact you for you to sign?? there are too many inept employees at the USPS and it's time to get rid of these

incompetents! there, now i feel better. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>People here would complain about free lunch or free beer. It sure is strange and negative crowd. >>

If you purchased something from me and didn't receive it when I paid for signature confirmation, then it's OK I assume. image
  • Options

<< <i>If it's a problem, why not get a post office box, change your mailing address to that, and just do everything that way?
    Sounds like folks with this problem are ok going to the post office anyway, so why not?

And, for those that find them outside the front door....are you checking because you expect the package? That's the only time I look out the front door (unless someone knocks on the door). I have an attached garage and always enter/leave the house that way. The lawn service puts their bill on my front door and it can be there, unnoticed, for weeks. >>

I have friends that visit, pizza that's delivered and ex-wives collecting their monthly stipend... I open my front door frequently.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1997, the Mint left approx. $15,000 in platinum eagles on my parents doorstep, inside a big white USPS carrying crate...IN THE RAIN!

How does that grab you?
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    I was expecting the package and was on the lookout but
    there was no knock at the door it was simply laid at the foot of my door. I guess I will call the postmaster. Thanks for the advise!!
    I checked tracking and it said unable to confirm delivery?
    P.O. box??? That may be the best advice for me.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options

<< <i>

If you purchased something from me and didn't receive it when I paid for signature confirmation, then it's OK I assume. image >>

I think it is funny that people complain about what might happen. The package might get stolen. If there is an issue, ie. a missing package, then there is certainly grounds for complaint. The insurance will cover the contents, the delivery person will be fired, etc.

It might rain today, so should I complain about the bad weather. Albert Pujols might not ever hit a home run, so should I complain that the Cardinals should have signed a first baseman in the offseason? PCGS might shut down the forum, so should I complain that PCGS is not interested in us?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That would trouble me as well. Yes, I would call the postmaster to let him know. >>

Good luck finding a phone number for USPS management. I can't even get their on-line complaint system to function properly.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options

...i guess some here have little tolerance for slip-shod work habits. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    My favorite delivery story was one I have posted before:

A while ago I ordered some shelves which were to arrive in 6 large rectangular boxes. I arrived home a week later in a rain storm to find the boxes strewn in my driveway. Oddly, there were 18 of them. Six of them contained my shelves, as expected, and the other 12 (of similar but not identical size) contained full sets of golf clubs that were supposed to have been delivered to the local country club.

I did not think this was a problem, but the guys at the country club might have.
  • Options

<< <i>My favorite delivery story was one I have posted before:

A while ago I ordered some shelves which were to arrive in 6 large rectangular boxes. I arrived home a week later in a rain storm to find the boxes strewn in my driveway. Oddly, there were 18 of them. Six of them contained my shelves, as expected, and the other 12 (of similar but not identical size) contained full sets of golf clubs that were supposed to have been delivered to the local country club.

I did not think this was a problem, but the guys at the country club might have. >>

Did the country club offer you one of their hats? image
  • Options

<< <i>I think it is funny that people complain about what might happen. >>

The complaint was about something that did happen, a service paid for was not provided. In some cases I will use signature confirmation on less expensive items instead of insurance to keep down costs. I use this service so that the USPS will not simply leave the item at the door.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    For the second time in 10 years, my customer was charged $3 or $4 postage due because the rural post
    office that received it thought padded mailers must go as priority if they are less than 3/4 inches thick.

Received this from the buyer....

HI FRANK I RECEIVED THIS PACKAGE THE OTHER DAY, HOWEVER PRIOR TO RECEIVING
    IT I HAD TO PAY $ 3.69 POSTAGE DUE. TO MY MAIL CARRIER PRIOR TO HER GIVING
    ME THE PACKAGE.

THE MAIL WOMAN SAYS THE REASON THIS
    HAPPENED IS THAT YOU SHIPPED A FLAT BUBBLE MAILER FIRST CLASS MAIL WITH
    DELIVERY COMFIRMATION. WHEN A LETTER OR PACKAGE IS SENT THIS WAY IT
    HAS TO HAVE RIGID CARBOARD IN IT SO IT CANNOT BE BENT AND ALSO AT LEAST 3/4"
    THICK OR IT GOES AS PRIORITY MAIL. WELL YOUR
    PACKAGE WAS SHIPPED TO SKINNY AND SOFT. THERE FORE THE USPS CHARGED FOR PRIORITY
    SHIPPING. THAT IS WHERE THE $3.69 I HAD TO PAY CAME FROM. THIS COULD OF BEEN AVOIDED
    IF YOU HAD MORE EXPERIENCE IN MAILING THINGS, SO I AM REQUESRTING REEMBURSEMENT
    BECAUSE ITS NOT FAIR TO SEND THINGS WITH POSTAGE DUE. I LEFT YOU A BAD STAR BECAUSE
    THIS SHOULD NOT OF HAPPENED.

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think it is funny that people complain about what might happen. >>

The complaint was about something that did happen, a service paid for was not provided. In some cases I will use signature confirmation on less expensive items instead of insurance to keep down costs. I use this service so that the USPS will not simply leave the item at the door. >>

The primary purpose of the post office is to deliver the package, not fill out a bunch of paperwork. If the person intended to receive the package receives it in good condition in a timely fashion, who cares what i's are dotted and t's crossed? Are you one of those bureaucrats who is killing the rest of us with unnecessary paperwork?
  • Options

<< <i>The primary purpose of the post office is to deliver the package, not fill out a bunch of paperwork. If the person intended to receive the package receives it in good condition in a timely fashion, who cares what i's are dotted and t's crossed? Are you one of those bureaucrats who is killing the rest of us with unnecessary paperwork? >>

Being new to the forums, I am a little confused whether you are being serious here. The post office makes money on these services and we are trying to keep them in business.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The primary purpose of the post office is to deliver the package, not fill out a bunch of paperwork. If the person intended to receive the package receives it in good condition in a timely fashion, who cares what i's are dotted and t's crossed? Are you one of those bureaucrats who is killing the rest of us with unnecessary paperwork? >>

Being new to the forums, I am a little confused whether you are being serious here. The post office makes money on these services and we are trying to keep them in business. >>

...perhaps RYK is a postmaster general. image
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Good luck finding a phone number for USPS management. I can't even get their on-line complaint system to function properly.

A call to your local post office is all that is needed.

<< The primary purpose of the post office is to deliver the package, not fill out a bunch of paperwork. If the person intended to receive the package receives it in good condition in a timely fashion, who cares what i's are dotted and t's crossed? Are you one of those bureaucrats who is killing the rest of us with unnecessary paperwork? >>

Delivery Confirmation and Insurance was paid for by the person who received the package from PCGS. The carrier broke the rules. Service was paid for but not rendered.

Yes, he received the package this time, but what about next time?
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    My next door neighbor recently had a problem with the delivery of 1K of art work. It was mailed signature required. After not receiving it he called and they told him he'd signed for it...He tracked down the delivery dude who pointed him to the house across the street. Apparently they not only signed for it, but signed his name as well. It's odd in a sense that we don't know those people, they're more or less weirdos and never come out of their house, which is dark all the time. He went over there and although he could hear people moving around, they wouldn't answer the door....On his third trip back to their porch, as he was walking away he said they opened the door, threw his package on the porch and slammed the door...They'd had his package at that point for 3 days..Had he not tracked down the delivery dude, I'm not sure how that woulda played out...

This crazy story led my kids to play an April Fools joke on me with my MTB set...I wasn't home and told my wife to expect a delivery, and told her not to miss it...When I got home there was a box on the porch, all smashed up with scotch tape all over it...They had me locked out and obviously I focused on this box just sitting there...When I brought it in and while I was opening it you could see dripping glue all over it as if it had just be repackaged...I was freakin out thinkin the Kooks had gotten into my package, rifled it and stole the coins...This box contained my coffee mug...image
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it is funny that people complain about what might happen. The package might get stolen. If there is an issue, ie. a missing package, then there is certainly grounds for complaint. The insurance will cover the contents, the delivery person will be fired, etc. >>

Yes and no. It's all well and good when nothing happens, but the idea is to prevent something from happening. Let's look at some scenarios when a package is left without a signature...

1- The carrier signed for it, and it ends up missing. PayPal will side with the seller, since there's a signature. Insurance won't cover the delivered package.

2- No one signed for it. The seller paid for a service used for his protection. The buyer realizes that the signature wasn't collected and claims non-receipt. Insurance covers the package, but the claim is, though possibly unbeknownst to the seller, fraudulent. While I'm sure everyone would find an insurance company taking a hit to be a happy ending, that doesn't make it right.

So yes, the package wasn't lost this time. That doesn't take away from the fact that the seller paid for a service on purpose--because it provides protection--and the carrier denied the seller (and even the buyer) of that protection by not doing his job. Lots of times conveniences that go around the rules are nice... until someone gets hurt by them. Better to just stick to what you are supposed to do in the first place and avoid potential problems in the future.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    They left a hundred thousand dollar coin of mine in an express mail box on a snowbank up yonder last month.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    The carrier can sign for it if for you, if you ask your regular carrier. I receive prescriptions that are certified w/return receipt every month. You just give them permission to do it. It is the same for signature confirmation. I think it is great, it saves me a trip and usually a long wait in a line.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The carrier can sign for it if for you, if you ask your regular carrier. I receive prescriptions that are certified w/return receipt every month. You just give them permission to do it. It is the same for signature confirmation. I think it is great, it saves me a trip and usually a long wait in a line. >>

I too have given my carrier written permission to sign for everything sans Registered.
    He's OK with it.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Being new to the forums, I am a little confused whether you are being serious here. The post office makes money on these services and we are trying to keep them in business. >>

...perhaps RYK is a postmaster general. image >>

Perhaps RYK needs to be canned then if he cannot oversee and have his employees do what they should.

Why do most of the Postal problems happen East of the Rocky Mountains? What do you have a bunch of bum workers? Sounds like it.

Ken
  • Options

<< <i>For the second time in 10 years, my customer was charged $3 or $4 postage due because the rural post
    office that received it thought padded mailers must go as priority if they are less than 3/4 inches thick.

ME THE PACKAGE.

PACKAGE WAS SHIPPED TO SKINNY AND SOFT. THERE FORE THE USPS CHARGED FOR PRIORITY
    SHIPPING. THAT IS WHERE THE $3.69 I HAD TO PAY CAME FROM. THIS COULD OF BEEN AVOIDED
    BECAUSE ITS NOT FAIR TO SEND THINGS WITH POSTAGE DUE. I LEFT YOU A BAD STAR BECAUSE
    THIS SHOULD NOT OF HAPPENED. >>

Frank - You sold coins to BONGO... out him/her... who is it? image
  • Options
    Some people are overly concerned about the packaging and their signature and underconcerned with the dreck inside. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, what happens when a buyer files a claim that he didn't get his $10,000 coin and the postal inspector finds out that the signature on the delivery doesn't match the addressee but does match the carrier's handwriting?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Trouble me, disturb me
    With all your packages - and responsibilities
    Trouble me
    On the days when you feel spent

Why let your shoulders bend
    Underneath this burden, when my
    Back is sturdy and strong - trouble me

• Options

<< <i>So, what happens when a buyer files a claim that he didn't get his $10,000 coin and the postal inspector finds out that the signature on the delivery doesn't match the addressee but does match the carrier's handwriting? >>

...NOTHING!!!! they have an excellent union! image
  • Options

<< <i>So, what happens when a buyer files a claim that he didn't get his $10,000 coin and the postal inspector finds out that the signature on the delivery doesn't match the addressee but does match the carrier's handwriting? >>

The carrier gets a pay raise since they're one of the few that can read and write someone else's name! image
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830

<< <i>Some people are overly concerned about the packaging and their signature and underconcerned with the dreck inside. image >>

You are a big fish RYK you probably spill more at lunch than I spend on my collection in a year. My contact with the postmaster is not due to any losses or feeling slighted that I did not get to sign the paper
    it is concern for future deliverys. The carrier was not my regular carrier and my regular carrier has delivered 30+ some packages from our host last year and I signed for everyone and only had to go to the post office once and that's a trip I gladly make.

• Options
    Perhaps if RYK buys something from me in the future, he could send one of his minions to pick it up.image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These guys take Postal problems seriously. Postal Imspector Service
  • Options

<< <i>These guys take Postal problems seriously. Postal Imspector Service
    image >>

Looks like Indiana doesn't have any Postal Impsectors image
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps if RYK buys something from me in the future, he could send one of his minions to pick it up.image >>

I will send llafoe to get my "blind" purchases from CRO. image

I guess I have enough problems and issues that not signing for a package that I successfully receive does not trouble me. I truly wish that I were in a position that it was one of my major concerns or challenges.
  • Options

<< <i>I will send llafoe to get my "blind" purchases from CRO. image >>

As long as you sell me those Liberty $5 AU58s! image
  • Options
    ResRes Posts: 1,086

<< <i>

<< <i>Some people are overly concerned about the packaging and their signature and underconcerned with the dreck inside. image >>

You are a big fish RYK you probably spill more at lunch than I spend on my collection in a year. My contact with the postmaster is not due to any losses or feeling slighted that I did not get to sign the paper
    it is concern for future deliverys. The carrier was not my regular carrier and my regular carrier has delivered 30+ some packages from our host last year and I signed for everyone and only had to go to the post office once and that's a trip I gladly make. >>

If it's not your regular carrier, just forget about it. It's probably an isolated incident, and not worth the trouble of complaining.
  • Options
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For the second time in 10 years, my customer was charged $3 or $4 postage due because the rural post

ME THE PACKAGE.

THIS SHOULD NOT OF HAPPENED. >>

Frank - You sold coins to BONGO... out him/her... who is it? image >>

That's only partially correct. Bubble mailers less than 3/4 thick do not qualify for on-line labels with Delivery Confirmation...they are considered either letters or large envelopes for which online labels or delivery confirmation is not available. If you want the package rate, which qualifies for online labels with Delivery Confirmation, your bubble mailer must be at least 3/4" thick. ( Styrofoam peanuts will take care of skinny bubble mailers) If your bubble mailer is not in compliance, you might be charged the Priority Rate, but most PO will just overlook it) BTW, it's been like that for years.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Perhaps if RYK buys something from me in the future, he could send one of his minions to pick it up.image >>

I will send llafoe to get my "blind" purchases from CRO. image

I guess I have enough problems and issues that not signing for a package that I successfully receive does not trouble me. I truly wish that I were in a position that it was one of my major concerns or challenges. >>

And you like the potential for the hassle while dealing with a stolen package? I don't like the thought of that.

If a package requires signature, they shouldn't be leaving it in the box nor at the door nor behind a bush.

I'd rather not have packages left when they require a signature. I've told my UPS and USPS drivers that, and I'll get to FedEx when I'm here at the same time they are. I don't need the hassle.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file