Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

URGENT MESSAGE --- Regarding BST Forum --- Please take some time to read this if you do business on

I made the following post in this thread...

wilskyy thread

Long sad story... the wilskyy tale... as my detective work has unraveled it... I "think" that first "he" came on board as this guy ... and burned me on a 1 oz Gold Piece... got my money back though thru PP... the guy who burned me disappeared right after he got my payment and then this wilskyy guy showed up..

I saw a red flag... same posting pattern and all... I was strongly advised not to butt in by someone here whom I can not mention...

I did heed that persons advice... unfortunately...

then when this thread we are in now showed up (edited to add...the wilskyy thread), I truly regretted not intervening... but heck, what if I was wrong?...

now... there is another seller on the BST... same damn pattern of posts... same type of posts... with another 1 oz gold piece...

check it out... it is on there now... not sure which page at this point but I think I saw it over the last 48 hrs on page one...

This time when I saw someone post to the new BST thread... I intervened and warned the potential "buyer"... who thanked me and backed off...

check the timing of when each of these posters signed on to the forums...one after the other... do a search and view their posting styles and patterns... they scream ALT... at least to me...

As I told the potential buyer of the new listing... this new one MIGHT not be the same guy... but i figure that when it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... etc...

Do your own research, if you care to... it'll take a while... but very eye opening... and for me, very educational...

Word of advice to all... when dealing on the BST... if someone is new, that is not, in and of itself, a red flag... we were all new once... image

But check their posting history... see if they "seem" legit to you... and get as much info as you can from the person BEFORE sending them money... communicate fully and clearly to ensure that both parties are "on the same page"... otherwise, you just might be setting yourself up for a hassle or worse...

Even an ongoing positive track record with someone can turn bad... as happened to me and others here a few years ago...

Overall, I find the BST great... but we all need to not get too overconfidant that just because it is listed on the BST it is legit... most listings and posters are... but not all ...

Please just be careful...

'nuff said image

edited to add these links to help you research if you wish... you can find the "other new thread" on the BST rather easily... check that poster's history out, as well...

Edited once again to say... unfortunatley, these links do not seem to work... I do not know why... what I attempted to link was the user's posting history. I used the search feature at the top of the page... I entered the user's name and then chose a date range... in this case From 05/01/10 to todays date... and then chose "Select all" forums... then I tried to link the page that came up... if you like, you can do the same search... (and maybe someone knows why the link will not work) ...

This method is a great way to check out the veracity of a poster, if they are new to you... to find out if they are "in the mix" or not...

dwcoins posting history

wilskyy posting history

Further edit --- I know I posted a few posts below that I was going to bed... but I got to thinking (a potentially dangerous thing image and not too good for sleeping LOL) ... I would like to add the following to this post...

Over the past 3+ years that I have been here, I have done many hundreds of deals on the BST... all but a handful have gone very well... both buying and selling. I have developed many satisfying relationships thru those deals, as well as here on the US Coin Forum... some business... some friendship... many both...

I have sent many checks and all went well... I have sent out packages on approval with no snags... I have received packages on approval... coins have gone out the same day as a check... in both directions... and all went well... the few bad deals are FAR outweighed by the good ones...

It would do me no good if I were to avoid any place where something bad happened... I will not put on a tinfoil hat... nor hide in the basement, so to speak... life happens... and all I can do is put my best foot forward and hope that things work out well... so far, for the most part, this has been the outcome of my endeavors here on planet earth...

What I have learned though, is to keep my eyes and ears open... pay attention to details... and learn to read the warning signs of something being amiss... and this thread is just my way of sharing a piece of what I have learned...

If I can help someone avoid the hassle and/or pain of being burned, then good... it is well worth the effort to write these words...

OK... enough said... for now imageimage
Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if something seems too good to be true, it probably is
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry...

Thanks for the heads up. I usually don't pay too much attention on the BST observing newps. Always good to get those references first. image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both of the posting history links gave me this message when I clicked on them:

The page you were accessing requires variables to be passed to it.
    Error Code: 100
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    I almost feel like a guy in a building that has a fire in it... who is yelling "FIRE" and no one cares...

If you wish to just let this thread fade away without any (or much) acknowledgement ... fine... that is up to you...

I am off to bed now... do as you see fit...

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options

<< <i>Both of the posting history links gave me this message when I clicked on them:

>>

Dennis ... I don't know why but I get the same thing... I just did a search on both users names... from 5/1/10 to present... with select all chosen... gave me a page and I linked it... I don't know why it does not work... but you or anyone can do the search yourself if you wish...

After this post, I am off to bed... if the thread fades away... so be it...

I am just trying to help... that's all...

G'nite all image
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up Larry
  • Options
    I seem to remember the name, wilskyy, from quite some time back, I don't know why. They don't even have 100 posts yet, do they?

That toned Capped Bust coin they're using as their avatar is not their original one, I don't believe.

Anyway, it's a sad state of affairs, isn't it?

C'mon wilskyy, get on here and tell us why you turned, "crooked".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post.... I hope it helps save someone from financial grief. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Both of the posting history links gave me this message when I clicked on them:

>>

Search has been doing that for me for the past couple days. It's broken, I guess.

-Paul
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I taught my children to follow their heart and if they have to look over their shoulder then they were disobedient to themselves.
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Great post, thanks!image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    I can not really tell how many folks have read this thread... yet I find it hard to believe that it has fallen off page 1 so quickly...

I tried it "straight" and it fell like a brick last nite... then added the L@@K to the title... a few replies then off to page two it went...

Now, due to a request from a prominent forum member, who has yet to post to this thread, I have removed the L@@K... to reflect the serious nature of this topic...

So, I am now bringing it back up for your consideration... FWIW, I put alot of time, thought and energy into this... I do think it is worth sharing...
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm relatively new and I appreciate it! I have done precisely 1 BST transaction..a purchase and it went without a hitch.

Tom

• Options
    Thanx for the heads up
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • Options
    Good Work SeaEagle.....being one the buyers that got scammed out of $820...i can tell you, I WISH more of this stuff was posted before I jumped the gun and sent this slapdick some of my hard earned money......like I said in my post..LESSON LEARNED.

thanks for posting this!
    "When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions
  • Options
    Thanks Larry! You've never been the type of guy to jump to negative conclusions. So a warning from you is "fair warning." Thanks for caring!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good post, and another reason to use a B&M shop if feasible. We have been in the same location for 22 years, and are in our third ten-year lease.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Thanks for the important reminder, Larry.image
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Larry it is people like you who help make the BST a safer place to trade. I still can't believe the nerve of this guy. He put a fsh thread on the bst and it is still at the top of the page. Yet you don't see him responding to any of these threads that are calling him a crook, even to defend himself.

That shows me he has a lot to hide.

Tom
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    I am sorry to hear that the BST is going south. It has been a great place for me to find many bargains that can't be had elsewhere. eBay is already a fraud filled cesspool, so I guess the party is over. Like CPT Henway said, I guess I will need to cultivate relationships with local B&M dealers.

The economy is going into a deep dive and millions of people are turning to crime. Actually, the whole country is corrupt now, starting from the top on down, the banking system, and the financial markets. My sense is that it is going to get a lot worse soon.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good post, and another reason to use a B&M shop if feasible. We have been in the same location for 22 years, and are in our third ten-year lease.
    TD >>

I have seen my share of businesses fold overnight leaving many holding the bag BUT i would perfer that to a lot of these unknown BST type transactions. I did not click on the links but i am leary to start with on BST transactions.

I see that this thread basicly started over a 1 ounce gold piece. Just how good a deal was this that you could not have done it at a business or show in person? I look at things thru a risk/reward. I will not put 1500 dollars out for a 25 dollar savings in most cases. I think i could put together a easy 75k a year scam on the net without much worry. I just need as few at 10 suckers to 35 to make a yearly living.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few simple rules I go by on the BST:

1) No public profile, no deal. HUGE red flag.
    2) I prefer dealing with those in the Circle of Trust.
    3) I don't even open BST threads of:
    a) very recent members.
    b) low post count members (<100).
    c) non-participants in the PCGSCF. I mean, if you are going to use the site to sell your wares, why not support it?
    d) anyone who has had a history of slow payment or difficult transactions as cited on the CF.

Some may say that my rules may prevent me from developing a profitable new relationship. I just look at it as a great
    way to not waste my time.

Anyone remember Petarded and 777 a few years ago??? None of this is new stuff image
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    thank you sea eagle for your efforts. I have had zero issues at all with buying or selling on the BST. I would not buy a high value item from a less then one hundred poster though with out some scrutiny. I buy regularly and will continue to do so it remains a great resource in my opinion. Post like this are valuable and have no downside in my view.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Anyone wishing to buy or sell on the BST forum should be willing and able to provide suitable references to the other party. If they cannot do so, but the other party can, the former should fulfill his end of the transaction first.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone wishing to buy or sell on the BST forum should be willing and able to provide suitable references to the other party. If they cannot do so, but the other party can, the former should fulfill his end of the transaction first. >>

agreed 100 %
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    SeaEagleCoins,

Sorry to see you have a problem. You have always been a fair and honest person to deal with so when I hear this I find it to be sad news.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Great advice.
    I posted to waltscoins BST thread early this morning before I saw your thread.
    I too smelled a rat.
    The cases you presented are surely the same guy.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Anyone wishing to buy or sell on the BST forum should be willing and able to provide suitable references to the other party. If they cannot do so, but the other party can, the former should fulfill his end of the transaction first

image I'll drink to that!!!
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry,

Best of luck to you on this. The BST has been a major plus for my collection, both buying and selling. Eliminating the middleman saves precious $$ for those of us of lesser means. A few bad apples won't spoil the whole board, but we must remain open and vigilant. Thanks for outing the scum...
  • Options
    LOL, lecturing the group after you burned me and left me with almost $2000 in a coin for you that you bailed on because you have no honor and your word is worth nothing to me and the people that I do business with.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry,

Thanks for posting.

One of the benefits of using the BST is the publicity one gets for a good transaction but also the bad posts you should expect if you don't keep up your end of the deal. It cuts both ways.

Use BlindedByEgo's rules and you should be OK.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

<< <i>LOL, lecturing the group after you burned me and left me with almost $2000 in a coin for you that you bailed on because you have no honor and your word is worth nothing to me and the people that I do business with. >>

Somehow I just knew you would come along and bring our 'deal gone bad" up... and it is quite approriate that you do.

You, sir, are in an elite group of 2 ... the only 2 people on these forums who I have on my "Ignore User" list... and for good reason...

First of all... when you first posted about this back when our deal fell apart... I offered to post each and every one of our PM's publicly, if you wanted me to...

I NEVER burned you... nor did I leave you with $2000 of your money tied up in a coin... unless you were completely BSing me from the gate...

If, in fact, you ever did get the coin (actually, based on your PMs, I was never quite sure how many or what coin we were actually talking about anymore) slabbed/authenticated, then you should have no problem selling it now, anyway...

And if it is any consolation to you... while it really is not anyone's business... I ended up losing money on the coin I did end up buying... which I bought thanks to you posting a thread here pointing out the coin... with a price FAR below what you were asking for a coin that was in a holder once but you then cracked twice to cross for an upgrade...and was raw when you discussed it with me... while you were ranting about not caring about the plastic... then you brought up other examples i could also consider and it all got way out of hand and much too confusing and complicated... and i wrote this paragraph intentionally like this to express the confusion you brought into my life at that time...

So there...

You are amongst less than a handful of folks I have had unfortunate dealings with... out of HUNDREDS of pleasant and uncomplicated transactions....

Bottom line is... your sigline tells me all I really need to know about you... and if I had noticed it before we communicated... no communication would have ever taken place between us to begin with... and if you are not sure what I mean by this... just read my sigline... that should give you an idea of what I think of yours...

Sorry folks... I know I have probably now tainted the intent of this thread... but I was not about to let ATM''s comment go by without with what I feel is a proper response...

• Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    wrong thread
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    Post the PM's, they tell the whole story. As for my signature line either you are referring to me outing a board member who masquerades as a big shot attacking beginners and other collectors or you are referring to my former employer whom saved many many many civilian and military lives and is a key component of both wars. If you are basing your opinion of them based off a biased news story then it sounds as though you need to go back to your original post and head your own advice on researching before going down that road. So unless you come back with a KBR, DynCorp or Triple Canopy ID I would guess you don't know a darn thing about how this works and for what it is worth, if you are anti war and pro Obama research that too as he is pulling military and doubling the # of contractors there, so.......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file