Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Quite a Half Dime Found.........

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
With a metal detector in South Carolina. Not be me, but I wish it was.

imageimage
Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Looks to be in pretty good shape for being in the ground presumably for quite a long time. Is there reason to believe this?
  • Options

<< <i>Looks to be in pretty good shape for being in the ground presumably for quite a long time. Is there reason to believe this? >>

Just relaying it, I wasn't there when it was found. Although, I know the area it was found in, and the ground is very sandy and drains well, and stuff seems to come out of the ground in very good shape.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Looks to be in pretty good shape for being in the ground presumably for quite a long time. Is there reason to believe this?
    Indeed.

It it's true, got for him/her. Great find!!

Dan
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Nice condition. With a coin that old I would have thought it would show much more wear from drainage even if the ground drained quickly.
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Great find, wow I really gotta get a medal detector.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wowzers
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    Solid AU details specimen. Hard to tell if the surfaces suffered much.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Nice half dime!

I want to believe ....
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    ohkie doekie...mabye it was lost just last week.
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>Nice half dime!

I want to believe .... >>

I don't buy it for a second but I want to. Looks real but doesn't look real old.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to believe...
    I see no corrosion, major scratches, or any kind of damage for being buried that long. Looks like as if it was just placed there very recently.
    Anyways... A very kool find indeed.
  • Options
    I have no reason to doubt that it was actually found. The coin was found at a 1700ds plantation site. You have to ask yourself, what is the more likely scenario. 1. It was found as stated. 2. Someone took a $5000 plus coin and buried it in sand risking several thousand dollars if it happens to get damaged.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So how come no one has reported back on the die marriage yet?
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry unless it was buried in something, that coin hasn't been in the ground long.
    However could have been found in someone drawer with a metal detector image

Just another long tale IMO
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These metal detecting finds are seldom hoaxes. However, there are always people who are quick to point the finger when the coins look too good to be true.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it be a Chinese fake?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So how come no one has reported back on the die marriage yet? >>

not a rare die marriage, no excitement
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a 1776 Spanish 2 reals coin and it had zero tarnish on it. Most of the silver that I have found looked like the day it went into the ground.
  • Options
    The coin and the story seem to good to be true but that doesn't mean it isn't.....someone hit the mother load with that one....
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks to be in pretty good shape for being in the ground presumably for quite a long time. Is there reason to believe this? >>

absolutely. I've found old silver (not that old) that looks like the day it was dropped. It depends largely on the soil.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

absolutely. I've found old silver (not that old) that looks like the day it was dropped. It depends largely on the soil. >>

ive found silver like that as well. depends on the conditions of everything. nice find image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver does well in soil with the right conditions.. low sulfur, low acidic content etc.... Sandy, well drained soil would fit the bill. Would like to know more about the find though.. beautiful coin... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto finding unmottled silver out of the ground. It happens. That's one of the reasons we (modern humans) love silver and gold, what makes silver silver. If it didn't come out of the ground looking like that, it would be just another lump of rock.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    That is a great coin, but I can't buy the metal detector part of the story.
    There are quite a few scenarios (not just two).
    It is mother lode, not mother load.
    Too nice looking to be in the ground
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    For all those saying to the effect, "couldn't have been in the ground for that long and still look that good".

This just isn't true...as some have already stated.
    Soil affects the preservation of everything within it, and different soils (and climates) will affect different objects differently.

A coin 200 years old can certainly come out of the ground looking like that......2,000 year old coins are still being found which look very similar!
    Even easily perishable items such as plants and bone can survive in the right environments for 500,000 years (or more) and appear like modern remains!

As some have mentioned low acidic soils will not corrode metal as quick as higher acidic soils.
    South Carolinian contains soil which is highly variable in acidity, and thus in the right soil coins this old can be found there looking like this!

Great discovery by the Metal Detectorist image
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255

<< <i>Great find, wow I really gotta get a medal detector. >>

Nah, save your money, someone found it already.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options

<< <i>Great find, wow I really gotta get a medal detector. >>

Yes but you can only detect medals with a "medal detector" image
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ain't buying it.

The pic with the dirt left on the fingertips is a little too......staged ?????
    Let me say that I want to be wrong on this, but.....
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unbelievable.... people are bashing this with absolutely no foundation whatsoever. As one who has found silver while metal detecting, I can assure you, silver CAN and DOES come out of the ground looking that good. Frikken naysayers tick me off - especially when they are totally unqualified (as evidenced by their lack of credentials and substantive argumentative facts) to pass such judgements. D**n bunch of old washerwomen beating their gums about things they have no knowledge of and making believe they are experts. End of rant.
    Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Coin certainly looks authentic, and nobody in their right mind would cover an authentic 1795 half dime with sand, so everything seems legitimate to me.

Nice find!
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow
    Nice rant RickO

Note to self....
    Always agree with the masses otherwise your opinions mean squat.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread has separated into 2 camps, those who wish for pie in the sky detecting finds to brighten their dull day and those who come to an intelligent, logical conclusion. image

Really cool find! I have a metal detector but hardly ever use it...I need to break it out more often. Most stuff I have found in modern trash...

K

BTW my first sentence is a take off of a post in another thread and is meant as a joke....so no one get wound up about it please!
    ANA LM
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I ain't buying it.

The pic with the dirt left on the fingertips is a little too......staged ?????
    Let me say that I want to be wrong on this, but..... >>

I had that same thought. The coin appears to be freshly cleaned, but the fingers not.
    Maybe he used the sand to clean the coin?

TDimage
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had that same thought. The coin appears to be freshly cleaned, but the fingers not. Maybe he used the sand to clean the coin?

There is a good thought....the first reaction of someone who was not knowledgeable about coins would maybe scrub it with some sand or something to clean it up so they could identify it better.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    Do you know when they found this coin?

It does look too clean to be in the ground for all those years. Although it seems possible if it was hiding in the sand or at a beach. STONE has a good point as well, people have found 2000+ year old silver coins in really great condition under farmer's fields.
    An alternative to eBay: UniSquare, for coins: USA Coin Book
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    But, but, he has some soil/sand on his fingers! It must be real find.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But, but, he has some soil/sand on his fingers! It must be real find.

Steve >>

The finder may have soiled his pantaloons when he read the date.....

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is that those fingers have never been cleaned. Completely original!

Nice find. The best I have ever dug up was an 1898-S Barber dime. It would have gone XF or so, but my probing screwdriver nicked it across the obverse field. It was then that I modified my probing/digging process to be less aggressive...
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file