Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My wheat cents hoard.

So far close to 500,000 wheat cents. My plan for 5 millions and maybe a new wife!!!
Keithimage

Comments

• Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    I have you beat by 1 LOL

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you keeping track of how many you have of each year/mintmark? If so, what do you have the most of?
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    compromonedascompromonedas Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    By the way, the postal office people from this part of Texas hate me already!!!
    Keithimage
  • Options

<< <i>Are you keeping track of how many you have of each year/mintmark? If so, what do you have the most of? >>

No. They just going to the container
    Keithimage
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>By the way, the postal office people from this part of Texas hate me already!!!
    Keithimage >>

image Yes, I suppose they do..image
    Becky
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Pictures????????????????????????????
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Cool, I am glad to have contributed a bunch, lol. Please post pics !!
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options

<< <i>By the way, the postal office people from this part of Texas hate me already!!!
    Keithimage >>

LOL, Do what I do, the postman gets a large tip in his Christmas card every year
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me know when you have a cherrypicker's party. I'm sure a few of us would love to help.
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489

<< <i>I have you beat by 1 LOL >>

Trouble maker..image
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I had a little over 1 million earilier this year in wheats and bu lincolns. You can get 2 bags in a usps flat rate box but you will not make any friends at the post office. Down to about 250,000 but added 22,000 since yesterday.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    So... may I ask what are you planning to do with your ever-increasing hoard -- or is this a state secret?
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>So... may I ask what are you planning to do with your ever-increasing hoard -- or is this a state secret? >>

I am planning to keep it for the long run... 20-30 years
    Keithimage
  • Options

<< <i>Pictures???????????????????????????? >>

Working on my third container!!!

Keithimage
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had a little over 1 million earilier this year in wheats and bu lincolns. You can get 2 bags in a usps flat rate box but you will not make any friends at the post office. Down to about 250,000 but added 22,000 since yesterday. >>

I just tried to mail 2 bags in one box but PO wouldnt allow it. Said it was over the weight limit.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    70 pounds.....
  • Options
    Are you going to look for key dates?

Are you sure you didn't buy an original, unopened bank bag of 1909-S VDB's off ebay? image
  • Options
    zeus135zeus135 Posts: 1,043
    Look like you could pick up another 5,000 (or 1% of what you have now) off the BST. Mini hoard

My humble '63 mint registry set, not much, but it's mine!
  • Options

<< <i>

Keithimage >>

Wow, how much does each container weigh?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Keithimage >>

Wow, how much does each container weigh? >>

Enough to give a guy a herniated disk for taking the trash out.
    edit to spell disk correctly image
  • Options
    onejinxonejinx Posts: 299
    I hope you have added extra support in your basement or under your house to the floor joists!!!
  • Options
    Nice toning bins. I would also think that you have found a foolproof method of saving cash at home without worrying about theft. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So... may I ask what are you planning to do with your ever-increasing hoard -- or is this a state secret? >>

Keithimage >>

So, in 20-30 years when you have xxxxxxx amount in your hoard.......then what? Sell them off? Very impressive nonetheless.

Chaz
    Chaz

Proud recipient of Y.S. Award on 07/26/08.
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Wow! Glad I contributed some of them! Maybe you can pay your oil bill in 1944 cents, You must have a lot of them!
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice toning bins. I would also think that you have found a foolproof method of saving cash at home without worrying about theft. Respectfully, John Curlis >>

Agree.
    For added security you can do as I do and fill those containers with a heavier metal like gold.

• Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    That's pretty cool. So what does each container hold? Between 200,00 & 250,000 each? If so, that would make them weigh in the range of a ton apiece? Hope they're on a solid slab. They don't appear to be setting on pallets. Given any thought about how they are going to be moved when it comes time to move them? Still, a pretty cool project.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Keithimage >>

So, in 20-30 years when you have xxxxxxx amount in your hoard.......then what? Sell them off? Very impressive nonetheless.

Chaz >>

I am 40 y/o and if I am healthy I will keep it until Thanatos come for me then is my son 'problem'

He is 11, so he has time to come up with a plan!!!

Keithimage
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Well you are 1/10th of the way there; how long has this taken and how long do you figure to complete?

And most importantly, Why?
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    DANG !!! That's a cool goal..

I bought 25K from the BST & spent _hours rolling them up. Would like to buy more, but at 4¢ ea I've "invested" enough...

Anyone wanna sell a bag or two for 3¢ each (including shipping)?

Mine will eventually be melted <shhh> since their composition is what's known as "French Bronze" and used for a sculpture / memorial image
  • Options

<< <i>Well you are 1/10th of the way there; how long has this taken and how long do you figure to complete?

And most importantly, Why? >>

Garsmith, most of the bags I got it during the last 2-3 months. Its getting difficult to get then at 4 cents/wheat..
    I think I will be adding maybe 20 bags a month And I am looking at 1000 bags= 4 years????
    Why? I have OCD as most of us (and is a requirement on my job) plus it relax me.,Childhood dream maybe???
    Keithimage
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy who bought the Syracuse Hoard might have some left.
  • Options
    It is certainly better than filling them with used cat litter(or cats), regardless of the reason you are doing it. (Oh Oh, did I just leave an opening for Broadstruck)? Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>The guy who bought the Syracuse Hoard might have some left. >>

huh, never heard of that one, and I grew up in Syracuse! anyone know any history on it?

By the way, your son is going to have a lot of fun searching those some day image
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the surviving ratio of Indian cents to wheat cents?

Considering that the original mintage ratio is in the 10 to 1 range
    (20 BILL wheat Lincs vs 2 BILL Indian heads) what does the survival rate do to that ratio? This would be one way of determining what should we be hoarding: Lincs or Indians?

Guesses?

20 to 1?
    50 to 1?
    100 to 1?
    500 to 1?
    higher?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Keithimage >>

Not a bad idea if you've got the space to store it.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file