Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

In 50 Words Or Less, Could Someone Summarize The John Nanney Thread So I Don't Have To Read 3600 Pos

Please??

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the U in United States of America on the reverse of the 2008 American silver eagle has a leg to stand on, you have bullion. If the U doesn't have a leg to stand on, you have bullion that people are paying over 500 times face value for.

• Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭
    US Mint sold 2008 ASEs for $25.95....some were struck with reverse die from 2007 with different font from 2008...............those now worth $500+.

End of story.............
  • Options

<< <i>If the U in United States of America on the reverse of the 2008 American silver eagle has a leg to stand on, you have bullion. If the U doesn't have a leg to stand on, you have bullion that people are paying over 500 times face value for. >>

u got that right!!
  • Options
    Lots of money to be made but, its almost over
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    All of the above and well .... I think that about sums it up. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the most exciting find since the speared buffalo!!!

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I think I stopped reading that Nanney thread after the first two weeks it was posted. That said, are the flippers done with it yet?
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    And I sent a whole case of 1000 errors because I thought I got the wrong coin. Yes I am a ditwit.image
  • Options

<< <i>And I sent a whole case of 1000 errors because I thought I got the wrong coin. Yes I am a ditwit.image >>

• Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

"If the U in United States of America on the reverse of the 2008 American silver eagle has a leg to stand on, you have bullion. If the U doesn't have a leg to stand on, you have bullion that people are paying over 500 times face value for."
    -----

Perfect!!

Thanks, I think I understand completely, and I don't have
    to spend a good portion of my life reading that thread!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    Not unless you plan to write a book entitled "Eagle Eyes" John Nanney and the case of the Mysterious
    2008 American Silver Eagle. BTW this is MY idea. Don't anyone go and do it!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much ado about not very much.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>This is the most exciting find since the speared buffalo!!! >>

image Both times people the "the shaft" image
  • Options
    That sums it up image
    Thanks
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And I sent a whole case of 1000 errors because I thought I got the wrong coin. Yes I am a ditwit.image >>

Ok, I forgive you, but WTF are you trying to say with the above post?
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options

<< <i>

Ok, I forgive you, but WTF are you trying to say with the above post? >>

I think he means that he returned them.image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Summary should include the fact that because of the John Nanney thread, and related threads, readers here were able to get in on the action for a whole 3 weeks after the story broke. People like me figured, "heck, give it a try", and new orders from the mint paid off with 07 reverses here and there!
  • Options
    Well, 57 words. But I wasn't counting at the time. image
  • Options
    In 50 Words Or Less, Could Someone Summarize The John Nanney Thread So I Don't Have To Read 3600 Posts??

This gave me a good laugh.....thank you MisterBungle

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    If you collect Silver Eagles you should have bought this coin a few weeks ago.....

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    Hm...let me take a wild guess. Most of you here don't have one, do you? image
  • Options
    dac076dac076 Posts: 817
    Prepare yourself for 3600 summaries....
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Personally I'm not excited by bullion, but I think it's funny that some people who think it's much ado about nothing are probably some of the same people who would pay many multiples of sheet for a VAM that can barely be seen with the naked eye. image
  • Options

<< <i>Personally I'm not excited by bullion, but I think it's funny that some people who think it's much ado about nothing are probably some of the same people who would pay many multiples of sheet for a VAM that can barely be seen with the naked eye. image >>

I am not a VAMMER.image but I do have 2 a those error/variety eagles. My comment was more about the fact that 99% of those posts are BS.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    I couldn't care less even if it's used tissue paper. If I could buy it for $100 and it'll be worth $1000 in a year, I'd be more than happy to buy one, grade it, seal it, and then eventually sell it. image

But the only question is...can you keep up the demand for it.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My comment was more about the fact that 99% of those posts are BS. >>

Ah, got it. But I think any thread that gets into thousands of posts is 99% BS. image
  • Options
    Lol...summary of a thread as a thread.
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Okay, so i'm feeling sort of wierd today.

Let me summarize in haiku:

Mint mixes up dies
    Wierd 2008 coins made
    John Nanney found it

Numismatic craze
    Start out high and go higher
    Prices are obscene

Lots of debate on
    error or variety
    sides taken, lines drawn

Forty five thousand
    is the max but we suspect
    far less are around

Pop reports are in
    Thirteen thousand are graded
    who knows the raw count

Do we have a peak
    Or is it more of a lull
    Only time will tell

Silver Maple Leaf
    a coin with a low mintage
    gets no love at all

• Options
    Supply and demand. If it was only so easy as to just come up with a quantitative figure every day.

Canadian Maple leaf, no one really wants them. So, no demand, no increase in price.

08 ASE Reverse 07, demand is high (at least for now), and supply is still relatively low.

Question: Where will demand be?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crap this Cliff-Notes version is getting long too as who want's to read 30 posts? image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    My best shot at 50 words or less:

Dont believe the hype.image
  • Options
    It's now 3 1/2 years since my original post and Mr. Tool and Die Maker who works at the Mint in Phila returned for another exam. We had a nice talk about the production line. He told me mules are produced all the time (by mistake) and some of them have to get out. He made a comment about the Mint sometimes releasing coins early by mixing them in other bags to generate hype and increase sales. We also talked a bit about the Wisc. state Qs and as a tool and die maker he said there's no way that someone didn't engrave those extra leaves deliberately. Interesting stuff, even if it has to do with moderns

In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options

<< <i>It's now 3 1/2 years since my original post and Mr. Tool and Die Maker who works at the Mint in Phila returned for another exam. We had a nice talk about the production line. He told me mules are produced all the time (by mistake) and some of them have to get out. He made a comment about the Mint sometimes releasing coins early by mixing them in other bags to generate hype and increase sales. We also talked a bit about the Wisc. state Qs and as a tool and die maker he said there's no way that someone didn't engrave those extra leaves deliberately. Interesting stuff, even if it has to do with moderns >>

let me guess, you don't have one either.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's now 3 1/2 years since my original post and Mr. Tool and Die Maker who works at the Mint in Phila returned for another exam. We had a nice talk about the production line. He told me mules are produced all the time (by mistake) and some of them have to get out. He made a comment about the Mint sometimes releasing coins early by mixing them in other bags to generate hype and increase sales. We also talked a bit about the Wisc. state Qs and as a tool and die maker he said there's no way that someone didn't engrave those extra leaves deliberately. Interesting stuff, even if it has to do with moderns >>

let me guess, you don't have one either. >>

Nope, just barely missed the boat by about 3 days.
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭

<< <i>Okay, so i'm feeling sort of wierd today.

Mint mixes up dies
    Wierd 2008 coins made
    John Nanney found it

Numismatic craze
    Start out high and go higher
    Prices are obscene

Lots of debate on
    error or variety
    sides taken, lines drawn

Forty five thousand
    is the max but we suspect
    far less are around

Pop reports are in
    Thirteen thousand are graded
    who knows the raw count

Do we have a peak
    Or is it more of a lull
    Only time will tell

Silver Maple Leaf
    gets no love at all >>

POST OF THE YEAR NOMINEE!
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options

<< <i>Okay, so i'm feeling sort of wierd today.

Mint mixes up dies
    Wierd 2008 coins made
    John Nanney found it

[...]

Silver Maple Leaf
    gets no love at all >>

Adam Lane, you are a talented writer!
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Meow meow, ruff, ruff, ruff, meow, meow meow.

Meow?
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well executed ploy by the Slaughter House to increase sales of over priced ASE's.

Yes they probably sold 10's of thousands during the hype period, but how many were returned?

On the filp side, the regular reverse may turn out to be a key. Who's buying these at $10 over spot?

400k struck, 350k returned, 350k sent to the melting pot, instant collectable.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barnum was right.
  • Options
    u bought a coin to collect,the mint turned that idea around,n U made $. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options

"This gave me a good laugh.....thank you MisterBungle"
    -----

Just trying to do my part.

~

• Options
    All I know is that 2 weeks after joining this board and any serious collecting, I learned about the ASE 08R07 on here. I bought several, got 5 out of 10 then bought more. My grandson will now go to college courtesy of the US Mint and 37 Great looking coins. Total was 37 out of 125. Only graded 5, all came back PCGS MS69.
    CSM Gary J Coker
    United States Army Retired
    1974-2007 WIA
  • Options

I notice that there has been another thousand
    posts in the Nanney thread since I asked about it.

Have I missed anything new??

~

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I notice that there has been another thousand
    posts in the Nanney thread since I asked about it.

Have I missed anything new??

~ >>

I got a hair cut image
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    The prices and listings have stabilized. Now we should start to see a steady progression upward in price as some of the people that have bought them at the higher level start to unload what they have purchased because their credit cards have come due.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file