Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Picked up a couple coins at the Gun Show... (Reales - BIG PICS added)

Five very worn silver coins (one holey*), that were described as "colonial era"....

Got 'em home under real light & 4 of them are Reales... how do you differentiate the denomination by size?

Three are the size of a nickel (1807*, 1780, 1777)
One is the size of an SBA dollar (1774)

I don't own any other ones & have nothing to compare them to... Thanks ~

**Edited to add pics**.... Sorry about the size (using someone elses's camera & laptop - no photo editing software...)

These are the nickel sized ones:
imageimage

This is the SBA dollar sized one (has gooey gunk on the obverse)
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8R are about the size of a silver dollar, 4R about the size of a half dollar, 2R about the size of a quarter and 1R about the size of a small cent.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Pics added...................................... any value on these? (in this poor condition.....?)
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Not bad. You can use acetone to remove that goo if you don't like it.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Too lazy to search tonight. What is the history on these? i.e. what are Reales and where are they from?
  • Options
    I am *guessing*.... that I have three 1R & a 2R, from Tom's description...............???
  • Options

<< <i>Too lazy to search tonight. What is the history on these? i.e. what are Reales and where are they from? >>

From what little looking I've done, I've deduced that they are Spanish coins used in the colonial times in America... and were later replaced by the Mexican Peso??
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one with a hole is a 1 Real. Look at 9:00 on the reverse where it says "1 R". The others are more worn. You might be able to make out the denominations better than I can.
  • Options

<< <i>The one with a hole is a 1 Real. Look at 9:00 on the reverse where it says "1 R". The others are more worn. You might be able to make out the denominations better than I can. >>

Hey Jonathon... thanks for pointing that out (I had no idea what to look for... or where) - the larger one has a 2 on it... so at least now I know what I have!
  • Options
    As far as I know, these coins were used in the US in colonial times before established coinage as bits.
    They are spanish coins.
  • Options
    Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭
    If I'm seeing the coins correctly, they all look to have been minted in Mexico City.
    The mintmark is an O nested above an M, and found on the reverse between "Rex" and the denomination.

As far as value, I think these are pretty common...maybe worth a little more than melt (?). Some of the experts at the darkside might have a better idea.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you say you picked them up at a show with a gun? image

Maybe I misread that?

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    The real question is what did you get that was GUN related!
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    Cool Pirate Treasure!!! image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which gun show?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spanish silver coinage was used frequently in America from the colonial era until the mid-1800s. I believe it was actually legal tender in the US until the Coinage Act of February 21, 1857.

This is one of the reasons that Spanish coinage like the examples you have are found with regularity by metal detectorists in mid-19th century locations--particularly civil war sites.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Ahhh.... The "SunCoast Gun Show" in Palmetto, FL ~ It was advertised as having "Guns, Knives, Supplies & Collectibles.... har-dee-har-har.... (I ended up letting my boyfriend drag me there because I saw some previous threads about coins at Gun Shows.

Welllllllllll, we got there on Sunday with only 2 hours remaining... (BTW - too bad Coin Shows in the area aren't as popular & busy!!) & I saw ONE Morgan, ONE Peace dollar & the 5 worn out coins that I picked up - that was it! (Had to buy something!!)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the Washington state gun shows there are usually 4-5 tables of coins...some exclusively. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    So, anyone got any idea on the value....? Couldn't find any of these particular dates on eBay (or in this particulary worn condition) to compare....
  • Options
    Roman---Where are you??? Lord M can tell you there value.
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In that condition, not more than 15-20 bucks a piece.
  • Options

<< <i>In that condition, not more than 15-20 bucks a piece. >>

Really? I find that quite impressive... they are definitely the oldest coins that I have acquired, although I'll likely only keep one example ~ image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file