Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2008 W vs. 2007 W - American Silver Eagles

Comments

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pics.Definately different lettering.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Nice pics and the lettering is much different!! I've never seen that before....I guess they made new master dies or something....

-Paul
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    COINBOY, you caught the change in the '~' just right!!! image
  • Options
    there was another post about this yesterday but these pics show the differences nice. the 2008 has much more detail EVERYWHERE
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    I disagree.

The font change makes it appear so, but the 2007 has finer detail on the strike.

Just in the date on the obverse, it is much more defined for 2007.

There is no "indention" ring for the 2008 W like you see in a 2007 W, on the reverse.

You can see it at the 10-11 o'Clock position in the reflection. There is no ring to be seen in any of the 2008 W's I have looked at.

It is almost like the Mint backed off the strike pressure of the dies.

That 'ring' in the 2007 W's is always there in a PR70 Unit.
  • Options
    For Morning Crowd
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    So they changed the lettering, one of these days I will order one of these and can look at this stuff at home.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pictures.. thanks.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably photoshopped the dies.........
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the chances are that the mint screws up on the late 2007 issues and uses the 2008 master die. Is that even possible?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    Definitely possible, and could go either way, 07 obverse /08 reverse or 08 obverse /07 reverse.
    BU or Proof.
    Checkem!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TTT
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>COINBOY, you caught the change in the '~' just right!!! image >>

me thinks that thingy is called a "tilda" ~
  • Options

<< <i>

me thinks that thingy is called a "tilda" ~ >>

Looks more like a "cheeto" to me.........
  • Options
    According to Robert Chambers, they reworked the hubs on the 2008. Even the mint mark is a different font, and the stars above the eagle's head are larger and flatter. It amazes me that they know so much about what is going on at the mnt until they get to 2007 W ASEs and then it's "we don't know the final mintage of this coin, it could be 320,000 or it could be higher". Skip is a lying bastig and it's good he's getting a pink slip soon.

• Options
    Per some discussion with ericj96 this afternoon, we speculate that the change in the die affected the metal flow during the strikes so to eliminate the notorious "Proof Ring" that is always so noticeable.
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful pictures!
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options

<< <i>

me thinks that thingy is called a "tilda" ~ >>

me thinks that thingy is called a "tilde" ~~~~~~~~~~ image
  • Options
    Coinboy or forum members...do you have the rest of this article??

Mint uses new fonts to improve metal flow
    The 2008 American Eagle silver bullion coins have new lettering, which a Mint official said was introduced to improve metal flow on the coin.

CW Link
  • Options
    will all the 08's have the new font?
  • Options
    Nice coins but I won't be buying any. The Mints washing process ruins the coins due to the milk spotting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file