Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New 1817/4 Bust Half Discovered

astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
For all you Bust half enthusiasts...

Coin World reported in its recent issue that ICG has certified the ninth known 1817/4 Bust half dollar. A Colorado Springs woman had received it as part of an inheritance and spent the prior eight years purchasing reference books to find other examples and values (she believed the coin was valuable). She took it to a local Colorado Springs dealer and was offered $100 for her portion of coins from the inheritance, including the 1817/4. She passed (good for her!). She then took it to the ANA and they recommended ICG since she did not want to mail it out to another company. ICG certified it despite damage to the obverse. The coin's value is in the $60,000 plus range.

I would love to find out which of our local dealers either tried to rip her or made the attribution error (mistaking the coin as the "punctuated date" variety...and still offering a low price for the lot).

It would have been fun to still be on staff at the ANA when it walked in the door! That would have been some great news to share with the owner! So often we had to dash the hopes of the presenter, it would have been great to give such wonderful news!

Lane
Numismatist Ordinaire
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing! This is the second one of these to pop up out of nowhere in the past few years!

Here's a link to a story about the other piece recently discovered.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... the type of find we all dream of... I am happy the owner was not ripped... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    It's exciting to hear of such a great find.
  • Options
    Neat find!
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is hope.....
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else notice that both front page stories were about some sort of discovery coin where the "finder" was offered common coin money? How wide-spread are ripoff dealers? Seems like that's all I ever hear about.
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'd like to know which dealer offered her $28 for that coin. I visit the Springs often (wife's grew up/family is there)... I'd make it a point to give 'em a ration about that faux paus.... very similar situation with the guy who was offered $800 ($200 each) for FOUR MS 1852-C Half Eagles... sad indeed.

C'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Well, that's awesome for the lady and AWEFUL for the dealer.

Here are the 8 dealers listed in Yellow Book online in the Colo. Springs area:

Apemx Coin
    Cents of the past
    Colorado Coin Gallery
    Colorado Precious Metals and Coins
    Colorado Springs Stamps Coin and Gifts
    Hallenbeck's Coin Gallery
    Leasures Treasures
    Saks Coins and Stamps
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone needs to ID that Colorado Springs dealer that was trying to make a steal.

I'm happy for the lady and that she had the good sense not to get ripped off!
  • Options
    I've only been to Hallenbecks and they are good people. I wouldn't think it would be them, but then again they are in the vicnity of the ANA which only makes me question it.

Conspiracy image But I'm sure Hallenbecks is safe image
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pretty sure it wasnt Hallenbecks, although I have not been there myself I think they are quite reputable from others who have,''

Jim
  • Options
    Hallenbeck's has a very good reputation and many people make the trek between them and the ANA because of their proximity (although the ANA officially provides a list to visitors of all ANA member dealers in the Colorado Springs area when they ask about which dealer they should visit). I would be quite surprised if it was Hallenbeck's.

Now, trying to maintain my outlook as the eternal optimist...perhaps the dealer does not bother with Overton varieties (as many don't!) and offered $28 for a deeply scratched, low-grade circulated 1817. Retail for a G-4 is in the $70 range and for an AG-3 it's in the $40 range. So, the offer of $28 may have been out of ignorance for a cull early half (and there are some local dealers who have little numismatic knowledge outside of what is on the slab!).

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just once, I would like to see a nice, factual, story that went something like:

"Little old lady went to XXXX Coin Shoppe to sell her inheritance. While they offered her $100 for the 20 ounces of silver, rare coins, and 5 ounces of gold, she knew she had something better and went elsewhere...."

Something along those lines...where it is factual but calls out the amount offered and the place.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>I pretty sure it wasnt Hallenbecks, although I have not been there myself I think they are quite reputable from others who have,''

Jim >>

If you are in the Springs, Hallenbeck's is worth the visit. They are a full-service, friendly shop with a very nice, polite, and professional staff. They have a wide variety of coins and pay fair prices if you are selling. And no, I have no financial interest in their shop...image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

I'm moving to Colorado......Everything is found there!

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's really neat that cool and rare old varieties are still being found in the 21st century

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the "old dog" classics collectors love this coin, but I still can not fathom why an overdate scarce that it may be can command such tremendous prices. Supply and demand, but the demand side of the equation may change substantially with the passage of time and interests; supply has already been increased by some 25%. I would think eventually somebody will be holding the bag on these bits...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Every member of the Bust Half Nut Club wants one. There are more than 9 members of the BNHC. Besides them, there are Red Book variety collectors. I do not think that there will be enough supply to ease the demand anytime soon.
    Greg Cohen

Senior Numismatist

Legend Rare Coin Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>I know the "old dog" classics collectors love this coin, but I still can not fathom why an overdate scarce that it may be can command such tremendous prices. Supply and demand, but the demand side of the equation may change substantially with the passage of time and interests; supply has already been increased by some 25%. I would think eventually somebody will be holding the bag on these bits... >>

I would love holding the bag on one of these coins!
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would love holding the bag on one of these coins! >>

Me too!!!

• Options

<< <i>Someone needs to ID that Colorado Springs dealer that was trying to make a steal. >>

I agree. If he was ID'd that dealers offer of $100.00 would come back 100 fold plus to haunt him as a cheat and hopefully put him out of business. I believe that would be fair because he has no doubt done this in the past and in my eyes attempted to commit a crime. Especially considering the worth of the coin, I think it would have been grand larceny, but many coin dealers and other sadly jump at the oppurtunity to rob someone if given the chance.

Destroying his reputation would be a fair tradeoffimage
    Sure, we want to go home. We want this war over with. The quickest way to get it over with is to go get the bastards who started it. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we can go home. - General George S. Patton
  • Options
    This overdate is just like the Strawberry Leaf Large Cent. There's a huge demand, but quantity is extremely small something like 3 known.

Therefore if these quasi-mythical coins come to the market, then prices will continue to be strong and hype for the series will begin to grow.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing devil's advocate for a moment, what are the chances the dealer who offered the $100 didn't recognize the coin as the overdate? Or thought it was a counterfeit. I mean, that had to be about the last thing he'd expect to see walk into his shop. To paraphrase some sage advice I received years ago, don't automatically attribute to malice what can just as easily be explained by stupidity.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

<< <i>Playing devil's advocate for a moment, what are the chances the dealer who offered the $100 didn't recognize the coin as the overdate? Or thought it was a counterfeit. I mean, that had to be about the last thing he'd expect to see walk into his shop. To paraphrase some sage advice I received years ago, don't automatically attribute to malice what can just as easily be explained by stupidity.

Sean Reynolds >>

A dealer is not going to offer $100.00 for a 1817 CBH in VG condition with a big scratch on the obverse.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>laying devil's advocate for a moment, what are the chances the dealer who offered the $100 didn't recognize the coin as the overdate? Or thought it was a counterfeit. I mean, that had to be about the last thing he'd expect to see walk into his shop. To paraphrase some sage advice I received years ago, don't automatically attribute to malice what can just as easily be explained by stupidity. >>

This may have happened. Many dealers will take a cursory look at bust halves, pay for type (or less!), and worry about attribution after the deal is done, as attribution can take some time. Granted, the 1817/4 should be obvious, but could be overlooked. A dealer once correctly attributed an 1806 knobbed six no stem (7 known), then sold it without a premium! Its a 50K coin.

If the dealer did know, he would have made many higher offers.

Neat story, I wonder how many more are out there?
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    I do not believe any dealer knew what it was and malisously offered her $100. if you knew it was worth $60,000, would you give up the opportunity to pay her more than she expects and make say $10,000? Why take a chance of losing it? If this is true this person will not stay a dealer for long.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Playing devil's advocate for a moment, what are the chances the dealer who offered the $100 didn't recognize the coin as the overdate? Or thought it was a counterfeit. I mean, that had to be about the last thing he'd expect to see walk into his shop. To paraphrase some sage advice I received years ago, don't automatically attribute to malice what can just as easily be explained by stupidity.

Sean Reynolds >>

A dealer is not going to offer $100.00 for a 1817 CBH in VG condition with a big scratch on the obverse. >>

Here's the quote from the OP: She took it to a local Colorado Springs dealer and was offered $100 for her portion of coins from the inheritance, including the 1817/4.

So he offered $100 for a group of coins, which included a damaged VG 1817 Bust half. I could totally see someone not giving it a second look... I mean, after all, what are the odds..... except this time, he would have hit the lottery, even with a fair offer.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand the members of the bust nut half club would like one, but probably not at 60k plus which was my point.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    If the dealer knew what he had, there is no way that lady would be walking out the door without a much higher offer. Sounds like a coin dealer that did not know enough.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sean Reynolds >>

Exactly Sean....I said it across the street and I'll say it here....
    I defy you to have found a shop or establishment that would have recognized that gouged-up cull for the scarce and barely discernable overdate that it is.
    Spare me the "dealers are scum" speech....
  • Options
    Why hasn't this coin come up for auction yet???
    Greg Cohen

Senior Numismatist

Legend Rare Coin Auctions
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    do not believe any dealer knew what it was and malisously offered her $100. if you knew it was worth $60,000, would you give up the opportunity to pay her more than she expects and make say $10,000? Why take a chance of losing it? If this is true this person will not stay a dealer for long.

This precise scenario happened at the GFox coin counter in Hartford, CT back in 1988 or so. The local guy who set up shop in that store had the deal of a lifetime walk in off the street. An elderly lady was shopping her deceased husband's coins. The coin guy must have been an idiot because he offered her $10,000 take it or leave it.
    Out walked a great collection and on to another store in Newington, CT owned by dealer Harold Kritzman. The collection was then purchased for $50,000 as the story goes. Unfortunately the collection was worth many multiples of that. It consisted of rolls of gem Bu 10-s and 11-s Lincoln sets, proof sets from the mid-19th century, and just tons of neat stuff. The final value was hinted to be at $250-$500K or more once it was all piece-mealed out.

When the moron at the GFox coin counter was asked why he let it go for only $10K he said, "if I couldn't get it at my price, I didn't want it." Words of wisdom to live by.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file