Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Moffat & Co. California Gold - 1850

I can't resist sharing the following letter from Moffat to Ludlow Beebe & Co. in New York:
Text includes: "We were pleased to learn as we did from them that our Mr. Curtis had made arrangements with you to take our coin & ingots at par & pay in American gold on presentation ... We regret to learn that there have been instances in which our assay has been too high, we have always aimed to stamp our gold a trifle under its true value, since we have learned that we have failed to do so in all instances we have excercised extreme care & believe that the like will not again occur. Your proposition to take our coin & ingots at par (& which we have taken the liberty to publish) is doing us a most essential service ..."

Richard Frajola
www.rfrajola.com

Comments

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

That is extraordinary and very important. Do researchers (i.e. Kagin, Bowers, etc.) know of the existence of this letter?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful ... extraordinary. WOW
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Has Pistareen from JK Americana seen that letter? I would be interested to hear his comments.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Wow!
  • Options
    A few years ago I sent a copy to Robert Chandler at Wells Fargo Historical Services (a friend) and he shared it with Fred Holabird (also a friend). It may have been included in an article they were doing for the "Argonaut" but I don't really know if it was published. So, I don't know who may know of the contents.

I had purchased the item for a client because it happens to be the earliest reported Gregory's Express usage and he didn't care about the letter at all. I just re-purchased it (and I do appreciate the letter).

Image of front is below:

Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting.... nice historical piece. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I just checked Bowers' A California Gold Rush History and this letter is not documented in that reference. Beebe, Ludlow & Co is listed though. According to Bowers, Moffat listed Beebe, Ludlow & Co as a reference in 1849 when they first went into the assaying business in 1849. Beebe, Ludlow & Co. was a NYC bank that also opened a San Francisco branch by the same name to accomodate the gold rush activities in California.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, people had mad handwriting skillz back then!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Thanks all for the comments - Have a nice T-day.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file