Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Breaking news about the new search in the eBay coins category!

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
I just got a call from my rep, and according to him it has been scrapped!

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    Best news I've heard all day!!!
    Looking to buy Morgans in ACG, INS, IGA, Old PCI photo, and Hannes Tulving holders.
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Well, good. It was not so much a search function as a get lost function.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Sweet. I stumbled around this new search for a couple of days before going back to the old search.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Best news I've heard from eBay in a long time.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hallelujah.

I noticed it again this morning, no need to opt back out despite the lack of cookies from a previous session. Kudos to eBay for listening to their customers.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could take alittle credit for that... image

I expressed my view, as did others, on the darkside and the change was not well received... to be politically correct.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess all those calls really did work. I just tested the coin category with an old account and it is back to normal!
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still don't understand what the "new search function" did other than show me things I didn't want to see.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I had a long conversation about it with my account rep earlier this week. He promised to research it, talk to other reps who had coin sellers, (I get the impression I'm his only coin seller), and get back to me. He told me today that a major coin seller had discussed it with his account rep and that apparently was enough to convince eBay that the radical search change was not suited to the coins category.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still don't understand what the "new search function" did other than show me things I didn't want to see.

Ebay is starting to act like the government.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Told you guys to give them constructive feedback and I was told they would never listen.....bleh to that image
    Glad they are scrapping it!

Good job to those who opted-out and told ebay why!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Good
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭
    YA-HOO!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Score one for logic! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    They can't do it just yet,,,,, still searching for the opt out button. image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    Great!!! It blew chunks, and I let them know it. Looks like a bunch of other must have let them know too.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    nice
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank goodness for that - it really was THAT poor. Have no idea what they were thinking with that one (I know, let's let them search by decade! Won't that be cool? Whaddya mean, "search by series" is better?)

DUH! image
  • Options
    I had sent ebay the following message 4 days ago, and have not yet had a response from them...... Maybe the fact that they changed their viewpoint is the reason.....

The new search function that is being tested in the coins category is terrible.... For both buyers and sellers....

I have yet to find one collector or dealer who likes it.....

It is COUNTERINTUITIVE and LENGTHENS the search process....

For a collector, it makes it more difficult and less likely to find what you are looking for...

For a seller, it makes it more difficult and less likely that your coin will be found.... and if it is, it is less likely to sell for a reasonable market value....

Maybe the new search options work for other collectables, but I do not feel that they are appropriate for coins....

Collectors want and need to search along the parameters in which they collect..... NO collector collects using the newly provided search options....

I sincerely hope that you will NOT implement this (dubious) improvement (?) into ebay, as myself and many other legitimate coin buyers and sellers will cease to use ebay as a primary source (both for sales and purchases), and will find a more numismaticly oriented forum to use.....

Please check out the forums at http://forums.collectors.com/categories.cfm?catid=26 and
    http://forums.collectors.com/categories.cfm?catid=6
    for comments and opinions of many other eBay buyers and sellers, all apparently negative to this so-called improvement.....
    I have not checked ALL the other forums, but of those that I have checked, none have anything positive to say....

Thank you for allowing me to vent... I've been a user for almost 10 years, and this is the first change that affected me, that I disagree with so vehemently, and thereby prompting me to contact you.......

Anyway, I'm glad to see that they listened to reason and logic
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is good news, Russ! Now if they could just get the copies, replicas, and tribute coins moved out of that section and into the "Copies" section, . . .

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    How about that! Thumbs up to ebay for listening to some good advice. image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What new search function??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Great news.....I went though the process of recreating a couple of my new searches and was just going to let most of them alone. It was a real pain setting these up all over again and I was never really sure if it was catching them all, but it did pick up a bunch of crap.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file