Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why is Silver lagging behind Gold?

Silver was over $14.00 per oz. when gold was $600.00 last year?

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Everybody loves gold. Wouldn't you rather have a gold necklace rather than a silver one?
  • Options
    that just means it's time to buy more silver image

/ed

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I like silver more, because it fits better in my budget. image
    But I still like the value of silver, and am picking up some each month...
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options

<< <i>I like silver more, because it fits better in my budget. image
    But I still like the value of silver, and am picking up some each month... >>

imageSounds like a good idea.What's a good buying price these days for Silver Dollars in bulk?Had a chance to buy a bag with mixed Morgans,Peace and 1921 Morgans,about 600pcs.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trade the ratio!!

Right now, trade all your gold for silver, then when the ratio goes back to 45:1, trade that silver all back into gold.

Regardless if the prices go up or down, if you trade the ratios, you will increase your gold holdings by 20%.

Example: Let's say you had 50 ounces of gold. Today if you traded this for silver, you would get approx. 2750 ounces in silver. Then, when the ratio goes to 45:1, you trade this amount of silver back to gold and get 61 ounces for gold. An increase of 20%.

I've been doing this off and on for ten years and it's worked out well. True, it's impossible to buy and sell at the peaks, but if you're patient, you can still increase your holdings.

Overall, it's a fantastic strategy if you're in it for the long haul. I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking to make a profit in a short time span (6 months to 1 year).
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Trade the ratio!!

Right now, trade all your gold for silver, then when the ratio goes back to 45:1, trade that silver all back into gold.

Regardless if the prices go up or down, if you trade the ratios, you will increase your gold holdings by 20%.

Example: Let's say you had 50 ounces of gold. Today if you traded this for silver, you would get approx. 2750 ounces in silver. Then, when the ratio goes to 45:1, you trade this amount of silver back to gold and get 61 ounces for gold. An increase of 20%.

I've been doing this off and on for over ten years and it's worked out well. True, it's impossible to buy and sell at the peaks, but if you're patient, you can still increase your holdings.

Overall, it's a fantastic strategy if you're in it for the long haul. I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking to make a profit in a short time span (6 months to 1 year). >>

Interesting strategy. What's the ratio at currently?
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "Why is silver lagging behind Gold?"

I've been wondering about that too, and I haven't a clue.

" Everybody loves gold. Wouldn't you rather have a gold necklace rather than a silver one? "

No, I prefer silver to gold, and I really like platinum.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    I'm rounding off a little bit, but let's say gold today is at $760 US and silver is at $13.50 US.

Then the ratio is 760 divided by 13.50, this equals 56.3. This is the present day ratio of gold to silver.

Now 'coinmaster' started this thread with the figures of gold at $600 and silver at $14. At that time the ratio was 600 divided by 14, equals a ratio of 42.8.

Using these two ratios....if you had 50 ounces of gold, traded it to silver at the first ratio of 56.3:1, then retraded it back to gold again at 42.8 ratio, you would end up with 65.77 ounces of gold. Not bad, eh!!!!

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Silver was over $14.00 per oz. when gold was $600.00 last year?

image >>

It is obvious, there are a large number of Werewolves, choking down the price of silver. Thus by keeping silver less valuable, more and more werewolf hunters are turned off by the profit potential, intern keeping the werewolf community safer.

Sorry I am very bored.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Ive been buying silver regularly along with gold.
    AJ
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm rounding off a little bit, but let's say gold today is at $760 US and silver is at $13.50 US.

Then the ratio is 760 divided by 13.50, this equals 56.3. This is the present day ratio of gold to silver.

Now 'coinmaster' started this thread with the figures of gold at $600 and silver at $14. At that time the ratio was 600 divided by 14, equals a ratio of 42.8.

Using these two ratios....if you had 50 ounces of gold, traded it to silver at the first ratio of 56.3:1, then retraded it back to gold again at 42.8 ratio, you would end up with 65.77 ounces of gold. Not bad, eh!!!! >>

So are you actually trading gold for silver, or are you selling the gold off and then using that money to buy silver? Or vise versa.

Thanks, Bstat
  • Options
    I'm trading all gold for silver when the ratio is high.

Then, I'm trading all this silver back to gold when the ratio is low.

Then trading all the gold back to silver when the ratio is high again............ on and on for many years as the cycle repeats itself.

As I said before, if you're in it for the long haul (precious metal investment for at least 10 years) then this is an absolute MUST strategy. It will definitely increase your PM holdings, regardless of price fluctuations because it's solely dependent on the price RATIO between the two metals.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The haunting of the Hunt brothers after trying to beat the system.

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    The highly anticipated silver exchange-traded fund caused much speculation and the pending launch had been pushing up silver prices, which early last year hit multi-decade highs. The ETF, which for the first time allowed individual investors to invest in silver without holding the metal or tapping futures markets, was speculated to bolster demand for the metal.
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    One of the obvious reasons and a warning at the same time is that gold is overpriced and due for a correction in the short term. Or you could interpret as silver is under priced according to the GSR. Flip a coin, eh. image
  • Options
    The gold rally is primarily currency driven. As the dollar weakens, folks in other countries get gold for a lower price in their local currency. Folks in other countries like gold much more than silver. Silver has more industrial demand, though it has lagged some other industrial metals as well.

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    <<Why is Silver lagging behind Gold?>>

Shhhhh, I'm buying! Keep it quite until I'm selling ok!!!
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    If we can get Russ to sell some silver it's sure to sky rocket.image
  • Options
    WadeWade Posts: 41 ✭✭

<< <i>Trade the ratio!!

I've been doing this off and on for ten years and it's worked out well. True, it's impossible to buy and sell at the peaks, but if you're patient, you can still increase your holdings.

Overall, it's a fantastic strategy if you're in it for the long haul. I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking to make a profit in a short time span (6 months to 1 year). >>

In your opinion what constitues a high enough ratio to convert gold to silver? 49:1? 52:1? Or do you just keep a close eye and look for a peak and trade when silver starts to make a push?

Just curious, I've always wondered about trading the ratio but have never done it.
    TIA!
    -Wade
    Hey... sit on it!
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Gold is "sexier." Gold is more portable. People who want to ride the precious metals wave tend to think "gold" before everything else.

Yet from a fundamentals standpoint and the standpoint of historical price levels, silver is WAY undervalued relative to gold, IMO. It's what, close to a 60-to-1 ratio now?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be patient..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I consider a high ratio at least 55;1.

At this ratio, to trade back, the ratio has to drop to at least 47:1

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that the historical ratio was 16:1. When did that change? If there was ever any validity to the 16:1, then silver is significantly underpriced right now.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely!!!

Silver should be crossing $20 by now.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    it will catch up it always does. Buy low
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Does anybody have a more recent gold-to-silver ratio chart than this one? For the last 12 months, say?

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    There is much more silver than gold. Supply and demand.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There is much more silver than gold. >>

This probably isn't true.

If it is true you'd have a very difficult time finding even smaller quantities of silver
    while the gold can be found in vast quantities in warehouses all over he world. Sil-
    ver has been steadily consumed at a much higher rate than it's produced while gold
    increases in supply every day.

It's more inertia that explains the relative prices of gold and silver.

Recently gold has been moving up because the market fears monetary instability
    and recession. Silver would do poorly in a recession probably so won't move up if
    people expect lower prices for commodities. Silver also is less a monetary metal
    than is gold so it won't move up on fear either.

Once the market comes to believe that a recession isn't in the offing the ratio will
    probably begin decreasing again.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>There is much more silver than gold. Supply and demand. >>

With all due respect, that isn't exactly correct.

Psychology plays a larger role in regular folk's minds that the reality, it's not really supply and demand.

If that were true, silver would be sky high as there is much more demand for silver in industry than there is in gold for investment or jewelry.

Just the fact that it is nearly impossible to pin down those numbers tells me that those in control don't really want the masses to know the truth about how much of each actually exists.

You can find lots of speculation and a general idea of the amount of gold in the world.

Just try to do that same research with silver.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options

<< <i>that just means it's time to buy more silver image

/ed >>

Buy all you can!! Things can change in a minute flat!!
    SEE the BULL!! BUY the BULL!! BE the BULL!! Do your homework first. And, you will learn alot!!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering that all the gold ever mined can sit on a cube the size of a tennis court.........and when spread all around the world...
    that's not a vast quantity imo.

The value of all the gold ever mined in history trades on the forex daily. Again, not a vast quantity imo.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I always thought the traditional ratio was 20 - 1. A 20.00 gold pc was an OZ as was a silver dollar.

And if that is the case then silver would be around 40.00 per oz. I think that was only the case when our economy was based on precious metals.

Maybe someone here who knows more could clarify this?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    here are some interesting charts to ponder

LINK

LINK

Silver has been consumed in greater quantity then it's been mined for many years now, to the point where it's very likely that there might only be a 4 to 1 or less silver to gold ratio above ground right now.
    Silver is, and always has been pretty much in the later half of the 1900's to today, been mined at about a 8 to 1 ratio with gold, going back for decades when comparing the two charts. (it was actually more like 12 to 1 in the early parts of the last century and before)

The amount of gold above ground for each person on the planet has remained pretty steady, while the amount of silver per person above ground has most definitely gone down... in the long run, I believe the value of silver will be found and the gold to silver ratio will narrow considerably.. I also believe that at least at current prices, silver will always be consumed in greater amounts then it's produced, because industry demand continues to increase quite rapidly.
  • Options
    2bucks2bucks Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Trade the ratio!!

So where would you store 171.875 lbs. of silver vs. 3.125 lbs of gold? I can just imagine in being delivered by my postman... image and even more funny would be me taking it to the SDB(s).

This is basically currency trading. You can make a lot more on the ratio between the dollar and the euro.
  • Options

<< <i>I always thought the traditional ratio was 20 - 1. A 20.00 gold pc was an OZ as was a silver dollar.

Steve >>

Traditional ratios don't mean much these days, but they may again in the not too distant future.

A $20 gold piece contained .9 ounces of gold, while a silver dollar contained .7736 ounces of silver, just for the record.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • Options

<< <i>So where would you store 171.875 lbs. of silver vs. 3.125 lbs of gold? I can just imagine in being delivered by my postman... image and even more funny would be me taking it to the SDB(s).

This is basically currency trading. You can make a lot more on the ratio between the dollar and the euro. >>

Don't be silly!

171 pounds of silver is nothing in volume, around 26 100 ounce bars. That's a lot like 26 VCR tapes in volume. Try storing 1700 pounds pounds of it. Even that isn't all that difficult.

Currency trading? Uh, sure, go ahead. A huge paper trail and good chance of losing your shirt.

Hindsight has 20-20 vision. How many actually went to the trouble of trading all their FRNs for Euros back when the Euro first came out and then chose to sit on it for years with no real gains?

The answer is, almost no one.
  • Options

<< <i>here are some interesting charts to ponder

LINK

LINK

Silver has been consumed in greater quantity then it's been mined for many years now, to the point where it's very likely that there might only be a 4 to 1 or less silver to gold ratio above ground right now.
    Silver is, and always has been pretty much in the later half of the 1900's to today, been mined at about a 8 to 1 ratio with gold, going back for decades when comparing the two charts. (it was actually more like 12 to 1 in the early parts of the last century and before)

The amount of gold above ground for each person on the planet has remained pretty steady, while the amount of silver per person above ground has most definitely gone down... in the long run, I believe the value of silver will be found and the gold to silver ratio will narrow considerably.. I also believe that at least at current prices, silver will always be consumed in greater amounts then it's produced, because industry demand continues to increase quite rapidly. >>

Great links.

Here's another that might be even more telling. It's a PDF.

While it's not defined note the "apparent consumption" column. This looks
    like the start of a parabolic increase and there will need to be a structural
    change in the way silver is mined to keep abreast of it.

Most of the silver above ground is in the form of coin and we do have a fairly
    good handle on the amount of it surviving. The implication is that silver will
    soon enough be scarcer than gold if not already.

edited to add; Apparent consumption is defined as the total amount consumed by industry plus coinage.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A $20 gold piece contained .9 ounces of gold, while a silver dollar contained .7736 ounces of silver, just for the record. >>

A double eagle weighs .9675 Troy ounces.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A $20 gold piece contained .9 ounces of gold, while a silver dollar contained .7736 ounces of silver, just for the record. >>

A double eagle weighs .9675 Troy ounces. >>

My bad! Typing faster than thinking. I was translating 90% incorrectly.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Silver is a bum investment because of the VAT placed on it in the EU. It's hamstrung! There's nothing
    else that can be said about it.

Would you invest in silver or gold if there was a VAT of 17.5% in place
    on silver bullion?

Jerry
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having schlepped over 10 thousand ounces of silver from storage unit to car, to basement, to dealer to sell (for a relative), I can tell you that it is ****ing heavy! It doesn't take too much room, but you have to go put on one of those weightlifter belts, load up on protein shakes and you will probably find yourself subscribing to "Muscle and Fitness" magazine when done to join the ranks of other accomplished body builders.

Given the supposed minimal above ground stores of silver in existance, you would think that there might be a supply pinch that would drive up the prices. Who knows?

Tyler
  • Options
    I brought it up last week and still Kitco is currently out of stock on American Silver Eagles and Canadian Silver Maples ????
    John
    Chance favors the prepared mind.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    The bullion 2008 ASE's were not released until today by the Mint. They should be back in stock soon.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Silver is a bum investment because of the VAT placed on it in the EU. It's hamstrung! There's nothing

on silver bullion?

I agree, the entire EU is turned off to Silver. Trading the ratios is a good strategy. Historical ratios and traditional ratios are archaic in a modern world. They may be a bi**h to compute, but they are still meaningless, except to the economists, who can't predict ANYTHING to certainty. Google "The trillion dolar bet". It was a NOVA program about a Nobel prize winning economist who thought he had a 'sure thing'. He should have kept the Nobel prize money and retired.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options

<< <i>Silver is a bum investment because of the VAT placed on it in the EU. It's hamstrung! There's nothing

on silver bullion?

Jerry >>

Just leaves more for us and the Chinese. VATs aren't forever, particularly when they unfairly restrict business growth. I'll bet it's gone in a year.

BTW, silver is a GREAT investment!
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    VATs aren't forever, particularly when they unfairly restrict business growth. I'll bet it's gone in a year.

EU has been around since 1957. New members are required to have a VAT for admission, so I respectfully disagree with the above statement.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    There doesn't seem to be a consistency in the gold/silver ratio .
    Maybe there was decades ago , when the world was less volatile .
    Is a ratio necessary or usefull anymore ?
    Actually , why would one metal affect the other in value ?
    (My new years rant brought about by beer and a loss by
    the home team in the meineke bowl)
    Home of quality widgets
  • Options

<< <i>Silver is a bum investment because of the VAT placed on it in the EU. It's hamstrung! There's nothing

on silver bullion?

Jerry >>

Europeans must be spending money on something or they wouldn't even have a VAT. image

They are spending money on items that contain silver too. Their factories are using it
    up just as fast as factories everywhere. It doesn't really matter who does or does not
    buy silver or their reasons. All that matters is aggregate supply and demand.

They also collect coins containing silver which reduces quantities available to smelters.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The metals bubble is just starting to grow. We will soon reach a time when it will be the topic of conversation everywhere, just like tech stocks or real estate were a few years ago.

Once that happens and gold gets even higher, silver will start to become popular as a "cheap alternative" to gold.
  • Options

<< <i>VATs aren't forever, particularly when they unfairly restrict business growth. I'll bet it's gone in a year.

EU has been around since 1957. New members are required to have a VAT for admission, so I respectfully disagree with the above statement. >>

You could well be correct. Time will tell.

Still, I think this particular VAT is a hindrance and will soon be gone because of that.

They are only hurting themselves with this one. Smoebody over there must have brain cell or two thinking about this issue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file