Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Classics #14: 1925 Fort Vancouver Centennial

Comments

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

GREAT POST !! I just love this stuff !!image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Great!image
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Another terrific addition to your commem series. Thanks Leeimage

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful post AND coin.
    I visited inside the stockade at Fort Vancouver on Memorial Day with two of my grandkids.
    The blacksmith showed them how to make fire with flint and a striker piece.
    I'm sure they'll never forget blowing into the kindling and the big flame that erupted.
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another wonderful post Lee, thanks again...

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    PCGS MS66

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

LeeG, brother, I do believe if we had a poster Hall of Fame, you would be one of the first to go in. Your posts are always educational in some way. I open every one of them. image
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee . .

I believe all the mintage was flown up to Vancouver in a Ford Tri-Motor. Correct or just legend???

Drunner
  • Options
    JoshLJoshL Posts: 656 ✭✭
    Nice...I like it!
    I love coins...image
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    LeeG,

Thanks for another great Classic Commem start.

-----------------------------------------------------

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>Lee . .

I believe all the mintage was flown up to Vancouver in a Ford Tri-Motor. Correct or just legend???

Drunner >>

Thanks for the question Drunnerimage

Found this info:

Commercial Uses and Aviation Records

Military flights continued to dominate activity at Pearson Field until 1926. Government contracts were being let for regular airmail routes, and in late 1925, Pacific Air Transport (PAT) was awarded the contract to carry mail along the West Coast. Pearson Field was selected by PAT to service the Portland Post Office. Service between Seattle and Los Angeles was inaugurated on September 15, 1926. The regularity and safety record of these early airmail flights quickly evolved into the beginnings of regular commercial passenger service.

The first two decades of Pearson’s operation witnessed a number of aviation records and firsts, a pattern that would continue into the future. During the summer of 1928, the Ford Reliability Air Tour stopped at Pearson, giving many local residents their first up-close look at the new, all-metal, Ford Tri-motor. The Ford Tri-motor was introduced by Ford Motor Company around 1926 and was one of the great leaps in early aviation design. It had an aluminum body and three Pratt and Whitney radial motors, making it a rugged and durable air ship. It was also considered a "giant" plane at the time of its introduction, able to seat a remarkable eight passengers in relative comfort, revolutionizing the flegling airline industry. It was an immense draw for the air tours.

Thanks for the kind words guy's!!! Just trying to give a little back to a hobby that's been so good to me up to this point!!!image
  • Options
    Lee: you seriously need to think about publishing this great series of yours, THANK YOU

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Another great post Lee !

Hopefully soon I can contribute to this one... image
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Love this coin too, but they're expensive!
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    What a treat to see these beautiful coins and learn their history too.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again, Brilliant Posts, THX !
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>Lee: you seriously need to think about publishing this great series of yours, THANK YOU >>

Thanks Mike. Sharing this info here is enough for me. Just takes a little time searching the net to try and come up with interesting stuff about each type.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lee: you seriously need to think about publishing this great series of yours, THANK YOU

image >>

Gorgeous Vancouver!!! image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Even though this commem is typically an expensive coin in any MS grade from 64 and up, I think this is one of the most under-rated commems... Especially with great eye-appeal and nice color.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file