Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Charlotte Show submission results (UPDATE: PCGS results now in, and they were GOOD! 1914-D 1C cherr

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
I made two small TPG submissions at Charlotte. I am not a big slabber by any stretch of the imagination- generally if I want a slabbed coin, I'll buy it already in plastic. But I had four leftover PCGS submissions from FUN 2004 that they let me use, although I ended up having to pony up the Collectors Club fees at the silver level to use them. It was a headache. Had I not wanted my 1914-D cent in plastic, I might not have bothered. But I digress. (Update: I now wish I had sent more to PCGS!)

PCGS: Collectors Club submission #3138539

Still no results, and I can't view the submission online- I only get a blank page when I log on. Help? Maybe it's the old form they were submitted on that fouled things up? Maybe the True-View service I requested has slowed them down? (Update: mystery solved- they had a 5-year-old defunct email address for my logon credentials.)

Update: and now, the results you've all been eagerly awaiting!
(OK, so maybe y'all couldn't care less, but I have been eagerly awaiting them.)

drumroll...

1812 1C, my grade F12; formerly cracked from an ANACS F12 holder.

PCGS results... F12! Just as I'd hoped- a straight crossover! image

1914-D 1C, my grade VF30; a bulk bag cherrypick, almost certainly genuine, which graded VF30 in a forum poll.

PCGS results... genuine, indeed... and XF40! imageimageimage

Woohoo! Cha-ching! My best cherrypick of all time! Not too shabby for having cost me less than a nickel, eh? image

The star of the show exceeded my expectations by 10 POINTS! Yay!!! I'm over the moon. image

1842 H10C, my grade AU50; a lovely toned piece I couldn't capture in a picture- the first coin on the famous Uno thread.

PCGS results... AU53! image

A three-point upgrade, but what is more important is that Mr. Arnold captured the toning far better than I could (compare to my shabby picture in the Uno thread!)

1876 10C, my grade AU55 semi P/L; pretty toning

PCGS results... No Grade...bodybag. ("Scratch or Rim Nick").

Oh, well. One out of four ain't bad for me this time, since the star coin was the big winner, and this, the most "expendable" coin, was the loser. It was a worthy sacrifice to the gods of plastic, if I can figure out how to access the TrueView pic. I get a "That Cert is not valid for display" message. I don't care so much about the bodybag if I got a nice picture. That is all I cared about on this piece, anyway. I DO get the TrueView pic regardless of whether or not the coin bagged, right? I have seen other TrueView pics of bodybagged coins. Maybe I have to wait until the submission arrives and scan the hard copy of the photo when that comes? Or does somebody know how I can access it online?

UPDATE: Phil emailed me the picture.

ANACS: Submission #8156286

1930 1C, bought as MS65 RD from a trusted source, my grade MS64 RD; results MS63 RD.

1830 H10C, my grade VF20; results VF30 details/cleaned. Well, yeah it was, like most Bust coins, but I thought it market acceptable.

1875 10C, my grade AU53; results AU55 details/cleaned. A small surprise to me because of how the coin is toned.

1875-S 20C, my grade VG10, borderline F12; results VG10. Nailed this one.

1838 50C, my grade EF45; results AU50 details/cleaned. Not a huge surprise, I knew it was cleaned, but I considered it acceptable.

1871 50C, my grade EF45; results AU50 details/cleaned. Completely astonishing to me- the olive toning on this one looked original to me all day long.

1885-O S1$, my grade MS63+, borderline MS64; results MS62. Hm. Oh, well. I think they really lowballed this one.

1885-O S1$, my grade MS64; results MS64. Nailed another one. Good.

Great Britain 1888 double florin- toned choice BU show purchase- my biggest fear AU58, my highest aspiration MS64; results MS64. Oh, yeah.
I should have sent this one to PCGS for TrueView. It was a looker. (Edit- sold it, and its new owner knows how to take better pictures!)

Summary

Did I get a bloody nose? Did I score big? Neither, I think. There were no majorly pleasant surprises, and a few disappointments.

Am I embarrassed that four of the nine coins I sent to ANACS came back as cleaned? Not really. Two of them were Capped Bust coins, where cleaning is the norm, not the exception. I suspected they had been cleaned, so no surprise there. I did (and do) consider them market-acceptable. The other two were Seated coins, and toned coins at that. It must be secondary toning. For the life of me, I would never have guessed that the 1871 half dollar was cleaned.

I think I am partially vindicated by the fact that at least in the details grades, I was more conservative than ANACS was. This shows my strengths and weaknesses well- I am a good, conservative grader in the circulated grades, where the majority of my inventory lies. I fall into uncertainty in the Mint State grades. Had there been some real gem material submitted, I think there would have been some balancing, though- I personally do not assign grades over MS65 to raw coins and leave the MS66-70 supergrade level to the TPGs, so if I had submitted some of "my MS65" material, there's a chance there could've been some 66es- maybe. But there is no doubt I am better in the circulated spectrum than in the MS areas.

If anything, my Achilles heel seems to be my inability to detect secondary toning that has resulted after an old cleaning.

Of course, we still await the results of my tiny PCGS submission.

UPDATE, 5/16: PCGS submission shipped 5/11, and as noted above, it was a much bigger success than my ANACS one, to my surprise! I am thrilled!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Hey . . . I'm not supposed to enjoy these "grades in!" threads. image
  • Options
    Not many people seemed that interested, but I don't mind. I usually bypass other people's "grades in" threads, myself. image

Added pics of all of them now.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    perfectstrikeperfectstrike Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I don't believe you did badly on the ANACS order. You've also learned a good bit, without a lot of cost.

All I get on that PCGS order number is "Order not found".

David

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any grades posted yet? Waiting to see the results of the 1914D... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "secondary toning after a cleaning" issue is one that has received little attention from collectors. I think it is an issue that deserves a lot more explaination. There are many, many coins out there with "secondary toning" from long-ago cleanings.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    291, you are sooooooooooo correct... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Newcomp103Newcomp103 Posts: 2,223
    From the pics...the 1930 Lincoln looks better than MS63...and I think you got cheated on the 1885-O...MS63 at least!...I am not really familiar with the others you have...good luck with the PCGS submission!
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    1914-D 1C, my grade VF30; a bulk bag cherrypick, almost certainly genuine, which graded VF30

please update when you find the results out on this coin!
    talk about a pleasant find.
  • Options
    Well, I suppose I should post on the Q&A forum about my PCGS submission?

I am beginning to be concerned that it fell into a black hole, since I cannot access any information online.

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    CoinKingCoinKing Posts: 410

<< <i>Well, I suppose I should post on the Q&A forum about my PCGS submission?

I am beginning to be concerned that it fell into a black hole, since I cannot access any information online. >>

Lord Marcovan,

Our records show your order as having been shipped on May 11. You should be able to see the results online.
    Ron Guth
    President
    PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
    www.CoinFacts.com
  • Options
    Thanks a bunch- Carol just PM'ed me.

I'm not sure why I couldn't view it online, but apparently at least one other person checked for me and couldn't see it at the time, either.

I do appreciate y'all letting me use my moldy old leftover 2004 freebies.

• Options
    CoinKingCoinKing Posts: 410

<< <i>Thanks a bunch- Carol just PM'ed me.

I'm not sure why I couldn't view it online, but apparently at least one other person checked for me and couldn't see it at the time, either.

I do appreciate y'all letting me use my moldy old leftover 2004 freebies. >>

We appreciate your business.
    Ron Guth
    President
    PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
    www.CoinFacts.com
  • Options
    Apparently the problem was my ancient logon statistics- an email address from an ISP that no longer exists. My membership credentials were even moldier and oldier than my leftover FUN 2004 submission form!

Thank you, O Mighty Coin King and Forum Empress, for your investigation into this matter.

Now I shall go log on and see how bad a bloody nose I got. image

(Which won't matter so much, if Phil's pictures look nice.)

• Options
    PCGS results now in... mystery glitch solved, and I am a very happy camper! image

Only one minor glitch left... how do I see the TrueView pic of the one PCGS coin that bodybagged? It ain't lettin' me see the picture.

I do still get a picture, right? That is all that mattered to me on that particular coin, anyway.

• Options
    Newcomp103Newcomp103 Posts: 2,223

Just out of curiosity...what was your plan as far as deciding on which coins went to ANACS and which went to PCGS???
  • Options
    Well, the four leftover freebie submissions I had for PCGS and the TrueView service is what made me send those four.

The 1812 cent because a true Fine Classic Head cent with nice surfaces is something of a tough coin, which should be in good demand. I bought it raw from a Dansco 7070 collector who had cracked it out of the previous ANACS F12 holder to put it in his album- he sent the ANACS insert. So I knew it had a fair chance of crossing. I am pretty sure I still have an ex-ANACS VG-something Draped Bust cent from that same collection in my case at the antique mall, currently for sale raw.

The 1914-D cent, because of its key date status, needed premium plastic for authentication purposes. I was 98% sure it was real, and so was everyone else I showed it to, but the plastic will pay off handsomely, and add icing to the already sweet cherrypick I got on it. Because I have a nickel invested in it, I plan to pop it on eBay starting at precisely that price, in a true no-reserve auction to let it find its own price.

The 1842 half dime and the 1876 dime that unfortunately bodybagged were both attractive toned pieces, that I knew I could not photograph properly. I mostly just wanted the pictures on those, and if I had to pick one of the four coins to bodybag, it would have been the dime that did. No tears here, since the bigger fish fried up very nicely.

I will probably eBay all this TrueView stuff, to fuel my ever-increasing new Roman coin frenzy. Now that I am an ancient coin guy, there will be a lot less TPG plastic and certainly a lot less submission in my future, but PCGS is definitely high on my good guy list now, as if they weren't already, because of these forums.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    WOW on the 14-D. That's awesome! congrats.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats LordM! See, this time you get to be the windshield and not the bug image
  • Options
    Yes, indeed, Mr. Cladiator, sir. You of all people remember my biggest REVERSE cherrypick, when I was a big fat bug. image

• Options
    I remember your being the bug.image Congrats on the great submission. You'll get an email with the bagged Trueview images sent directly to you. Be sure and save it since it will not show up in the coin # lookup. Hopefully they have not already sent it to the old outdated email addy. I've found it helpful to put "Trueview" in the title line of the Ebay auction as lots of folks search the keyword Trueview.
    Very nice, natural 14D !
  • Options

<< <i>Hopefully they have not already sent it to the old outdated email addy >>

Eew. There's a nasty little twist I didn't think of.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats on the 14-D

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You suck™ image >>

What he saidimage
    Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options
    Well, I got the picture of the bodybagged 1876 dime.

So the only question that remains about this submission is its whereabouts.

I have a sinking suspicion they shipped it to my 2003 address. I don't know why I didn't think of this, when it was discovered they had a defunct email address of mine as well.

• Options
    Whereabouts are known, now. All coins are in hand!

Thanks, Carol and PCGS folk, for trying to figure out why my coins were still MIA as of a few days ago. It turns out they were correctly addressed after all, but just took a really long time in the mail. (Even beyond my usual expectation of Registered shipping times.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file