Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A View Often Overlooked - EdgeView™ Photography Method - Lots of New Pics Inside

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've yet to locate one of the Logan half dime edge mirrors so I decided to try out the poor mans version I'd heard about. This method is "new to me" as I have not tried it before. This effect is created by taking the reflector cone out of a small flashlight. Sit the cone (large end up) on a flat surface and place your coin into the cone. Then simply illuminate and photograph. Works pretty darn good I think.

Comments

• Options
    Very cool concept...and image image
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    That's a pretty neat trick. Nice coin by the way.

Millertime
  • Options
    That is a cool shot, but what exactly is it showing?
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a big enough reflector the lettered edge of a bust half would come out great that way.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard of the flashlight reflector trick also but never tried it. Is that the image right off the camera? I'm astounded at how well it shows the edge.

Got a lettered edge coin you can try next? image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    That would be a cool imaging option from a TPG for coins where the "third edge" has lettering and other significant details on it.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is a cool shot, but what exactly is it showing? >>

The reeded edge is just outside the rim of the half dime
  • Options
    I get it now ... very cool. I would really like to see that with a bust half or gold indian.
  • Options
    What the image is showing is the reverse of an 1829 LM18 CBH10¢ and the entire reeded edge of the coin. The mirrored cone reflects an image of the edge and allows it to be photographed. The entire image is just one picture and no manipulation was done to the coin or edge. The only photoshopping that was done was to crop the image to cut out all the unwanted mirror that was after the edge. Seems to be a good way to display the edge of your coin in a continuous 360 degree image.
  • Options
    I tried this with a Lettered Edge Half Dollar last night as well. The process will work, but I only have one of those coins and the edge lettering is all but gone from wear so it didn't turn out well.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    This technique came up a while back. I don't remember if it was a picture in CW or something like that. Probably nice for counting reeds.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I think I read this in the EAC or JRJ enewsletters. Now that I see a pic, it makes more sense. Nice picture.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

<< <i>Probably nice for counting reeds. >>

Excellent for counting reeds. Just print out the photo and mark the reeds off with a pen as you count them.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    If you place the coin on a small soft washer or other spacer so the edge does not touch the coin, you will get a small amount of separation between face and edge image without distorting the edge too much.

The circular image can be "unrolled" in Photoshop.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Russ Logan wrote an article on how to build an edge mirror for imaging. I think it was in the J.R. Journal. But I must say that your image turned out well. Very cool.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>

<< <i>Probably nice for counting reeds. >>

Excellent for counting reeds. Just print out the photo and mark the reeds off with a pen as you count them. >>

True, it would be ideal. A rigged up thing for a flatbed scanner would make going through a bag of Morgans fairly straightforward. Write a little image recognition program then to count the reeds from a low res gif scan. I am going to have to do that now.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    At the request of a forum member I'll take a photo of the setup I used when I get home tonight and post it to this thread.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job Cladiator.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    VERY COOL!!

I'm definitely going to do some experimenting when i get home this evening.

I've got a lettered edge Half that is just beggin' me to try this on.

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    At the request of a forum member I'll take a photo of the setup I used when I get home tonight and post it to this thread.

I'm looking forward to that.... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done this with Morgan dollars. The reflector inside a flashlight that takes D-cells works well for that size, and you can do it on a flatbed.
  • Options

<< <i>Very cool, now if we could only accomplish this with PCGS slabbed coins! >>

snip snip, crack. image
  • Options
    Maybe the TPG's should come up with a premium slab that has a small ring mirror in the slab around the the coin that would show the edge like that.
    1969s WCLR-001 counterclash
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY cool - thanks for sharing the tip and coin. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe the TPG's should come up with a premium slab that has a small ring mirror in the slab around the the coin that would show the edge like that. >>

I submitted a question to Q&A regarding this, since next year PCGS will be slabbing lots of presidollars. No response. What might work better than a mirror in this case is a clear, refractive collar beveled on the outside, so that a cross section looked like a triangle. This might allow the edge to be viewed fairly easily. The NGC approach also works, but about 1/3 of the edge detail is covered.
  • Options
    Ok folks here's the entire process. It's pretty simple and I think it would work for any coin...anything round actually.

Supplies: 1 Coin, 1 Flashlight

Close up of coin and reflector cone

Distance shot of coin in reflector cone

Uncropped final image

Final image with excess mirror cropped out and a black background

• Options
    Notice how with the coin I used this time you can plainly see how half of the reeds suffer from horrible strike weakness and barely exist at all. You'd never know that in a slab. Infact I didn't find out about it until I cracked it out of it's NGC slab. image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that 1832 looks familiar image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here it is, photography courtesy of Heritage. Cladiator's photos are so much better!

• Options
    Barndog and his detective skills have uncovered the fact that the coin pictured is one of the Reiver coins auctioned by Heritage. 1832 LM11.2 R5 Jules Reiver Pedigree, one of the most important coins to me in my entire collection. You can also see that the Heritage pics blew chuncks so needless to say I was very pleased when I got the coin in hand. image
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Great demo.

The ring mirror in a slab shouldn't be impossible
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing that technique with us ... I am going to have to give that a try image
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is pretty cool....
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I just posted this response to Cladiator on the Bust coin forum, but thought it would also be appropriate here:

Rich:

That's about as nice a photograph as I have ever seen of the edge reeding of a Bust half dime. All too often the 'third die' is completely ignored when studying and attributing half dimes, yet there is much to be learned from the edges. Mark Smith knew this all too well, and that is why Russ Logan and John McCloskey honored him with the invitation to join them in co-authoring the half dime book. I was with Mark the day they asked him to collaborate on the book, and he was truly humbled that they thought his extensive research into the collars and edge reeding was worthy of publication. Regrettably, Mark did not live to see the final product, but his research proved vitally important in determining the emission sequence, and was an important addition to the quality and comprehensive nature of the book. It was fitting that they chose to dedicate the book to Mark.

I was a guest at Russ Logan's home just one year before he died, and we spent an entire weekend just 'talking half dimes'. I had the distinct privilege of looking at Russ' entire collection 'up close and personal'. We discussed rare marriages, remarriages, and the minting processes 'til the wee hours of the morning. I wanted to give something back to this generous man who had taught me so much, shared his great knowledge, and served as my mentor for so many years, so I brought with me this neat little suggestion of using a reflector from a common household flashlight to photograph or study the edge reeding of coins under a microscope. I had only recently learned that little piece of information, and thought that I might finally have something useful to give back to Russ. He listened attentively as I discussed the use of the reflector, but when I finished telling him of this intriguing and very useful application of a flashlight reflector, he seemed very unimpressed. He said "Well, I suppose you could do that. Or .......... you could use an edge mirror". I inquired as to what this 'edge mirror' might be, and he blew my mind by showing me several examples of edge mirrors, precision manufactured for each of the Bust coin denominations and diameters. They were simply a small ring of metal with an inside diameter just slightly larger that the outside diameter of the coin being studied. The inside surface of the ring was cut on a bias of 45 degrees from the perpendicular, and was a highly polished, mirror-like surface. The edge mirror was simply dropped around the diameter of a coin under the microscope, and the edge reeding was reflected straight up into the microscope lens, just as in your photograph. It seems that Russ had invented them a few years earlier, and actually manufactured them at his company, Inovent Engineering in Cleveland. He gave me a half dime edge mirror, which I have used and treasured ever since. Since Russ' passing, the last remaining edge mirrors were sold in one bulk lot at the B&M auction of his magnificent collection, and because of the generosity of his widow, Brenda, and that of B&M, the full proceeds went directly to the JRCS treasury. And due to the incredible generosity of the high bidder, once sold, they were returned to the auction to be sold individually to interested collectors. Just one of many great legacies and stories from this great man.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just posted this response to Cladiator on the Bust coin forum, but thought it would also be appropriate here:

Rich:

That's about as nice a photograph as I have ever seen of the edge reeding of a Bust half dime. All too often the 'third die' is completely ignored when studying and attributing half dimes, yet there is much to be learned from the edges. Mark Smith knew this all too well, and that is why Russ Logan and John McCloskey honored him with the invitation to join them in co-authoring the half dime book. I was with Mark the day they asked him to collaborate on the book, and he was truly humbled that they thought his extensive research into the collars and edge reeding was worthy of publication. Regrettably, Mark did not live to see the final product, but his research proved vitally important in determining the emission sequence, and was an important addition to the quality and comprehensive nature of the book. It was fitting that they chose to dedicate the book to Mark.

I was a guest at Russ Logan's home just one year before he died, and we spent an entire weekend just 'talking half dimes'. I had the distinct privilege of looking at Russ' entire collection 'up close and personal'. We discussed rare marriages, remarriages, and the minting processes 'til the wee hours of the morning. I wanted to give something back to this generous man who had taught me so much, shared his great knowledge, and served as my mentor for so many years, so I brought with me this neat little suggestion of using a reflector from a common household flashlight to photograph or study the edge reeding of coins under a microscope. I had only recently learned that little piece of information, and thought that I might finally have something useful to give back to Russ. He listened attentively as I discussed the use of the reflector, but when I finished telling him of this intriguing and very useful application of a flashlight reflector, he seemed very unimpressed. He said "Well, I suppose you could do that. Or .......... you could use an edge mirror". I inquired as to what this 'edge mirror' might be, and he blew my mind by showing me several examples of edge mirrors, precision manufactured for each of the Bust coin denominations and diameters. They were simply a small ring of metal with an inside diameter just slightly larger that the outside diameter of the coin being studied. The inside surface of the ring was cut on a bias of 45 degrees from the perpendicular, and was a highly polished, mirror-like surface. The edge mirror was simply dropped around the diameter of a coin under the microscope, and the edge reeding was reflected straight up into the microscope lens, just as in your photograph. It seems that Russ had invented them a few years earlier, and actually manufactured them at his company, Inovent Engineering in Cleveland. He gave me a half dime edge mirror, which I have used and treasured ever since. Since Russ' passing, the last remaining edge mirrors were sold in one bulk lot at the B&M auction of his magnificent collection, and because of the generosity of his widow, Brenda, and that of B&M, the full proceeds went directly to the JRCS treasury. And due to the incredible generosity of the high bidder, once sold, they were returned to the auction to be sold individually to interested collectors. Just one of many great legacies and stories from this great man. >>

MrHalfDime, you are an eloquent writer/speaker. That story really brought tears to my eyes. I knew Russ as well, although not as well as many others in our hobby. However just talking with him at shows, one would quickly get the true sense of this man's passion; numismatics......especially early Federal. Nuff' said.... image
  • Options
    Unfortunately I got into this hobby and more specifically into early Federal Coinage after the passing of several important figures. You guys that actually got to meet and get to know the likes of Russ Logan and Mark Smith and Jules Reiver are indeed lucky. The knowledge they had about our common obsession could fill entire libraries. I do feel very lucky though that I've had the privilege of meeting several people that carry on the great quest for knowledge and understanding of the coins we love and the processes that led to their creation, our very own MrHalfDime and BarnDog just to name a couple.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Very cool, now if we could only accomplish this with PCGS slabbed coins! >>

snip snip, crack. image >>

Mine goes "bzzzzzz bzzzzzz bzzzzzz dink" (I use a Dremel) image

Cladiator, than you for sharing this terrific idea image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options

<< <i>Cladiator, thank you for sharing this terrific idea >>

No problem but I can't take credite for the idea. I got the idea from folks on this forum image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Very Cool, now how do you do it if a coin is slabbed?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>Very Cool, now how do you do it if a coin is slabbed? >>

Get some snips, crack it out and it's easy as pie. image
  • Options
    ...Bump...

Couple of you folks said you were gonna try this on some coins. Any results you can share?

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    That is sweet! I have to try this with some bust halves when i get a chance. Thanks for the tip!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    So that was for a half dime. Do you need a large flashlight for a dollar coin?image
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options

<< <i>So that was for a half dime. Do you need a large flashlight for a dollar coin?image >>

I would assume so.
  • Options
    Can you pop a GW or Adams dollar into the flashlight cone? I'd like to see how the edge lettering shows up.

-Fuzz
    Why is it, "A penny for your thoughts," but, "you have to put your two cents in?" Somebody's making a penny.
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Here's a GW I did a while back
  • Options
    Pretty cool Spud. Looks like it worked just perfectly. image
  • Options
    While looking at these today I decided this is very cool and something I may try to do in the near future. After a few minutes thinking about it though, I would want to take the obv and rev photos, use Photoshop to cut out the coin edges, paste them in the opposite image, and flip vertically. (this for standard US coins. medals and most non-US would need a horizontal flip).

The reason I would do this is I visualize the image as something I could wrap around a blank planchet, so the imaged part of the edge near the front surface would be up and the outer edge of the image would be near the table. Does that make sense? The way the reflector cone shows the edges, the edge near the table is nearest the imaged face.

Aaron
  • Options
    Sounds like a cool idea Aaron. Post the images when you have them done. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file