Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1834 is the third informative picture thread covering the Capped Bust Half series. Show your Bust Ha

mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
This is the third in a series of informative picture threads covering the lettered edge Capped Bust Half Dollars from 1807-36 in reverse year order. 1833 starts Thursday 11/2, 1832 starts Sunday 11/5, and this pattern continues on down.

General guidelines:

1. Members can simply post pictures, or include pertinent information like Overton marriage and diagnostics, or just ask for information about their pictured coin from other members. Please keep picture file sizes within reason for dial up members.

2. Ultimately, we would like to see at least one example pictured for each Overton marriage.

3. To begin this series, I would like to start the first three threads myself, and then open it up for anyone to open threads as the next year start times come up. Thread starts are only on Thursdays and Sundays.

There are 18 obverse and 21 reverse dies, to make 22 different varieties for 1834, including the crushed lettered edge O-122 R7. The CLEs will not be included in this series. This year used Sub-Design #8 which started in 1832, Sub-Design #9 Transitional or Abominable Bastard's (emission order was O-116, O-114, & O-113), and Sub-Design #10 which was used through 1836.

Dr. Ivan Leaman did extensive research on the Abominable Bastard's hub in the 1970s, and he named the hub. What he wrote has held true. Brad Karoleff extended this work after Dr. Leaman passed away.

imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1834 Small Date Small Letters O-114 R1:

imageimageimage

Obverse: Star 3 & S4 are recut. 8 is recut at lower outside loop. 1 is recut at lower serif. There is a fine line from top of S13 along right side of curls.

imageimageimageimage

Reverse: Arrowheads are very narrow. Only O-113 has similar narrow arrowheads from the Abominable Bastard’s hub. I in scroll centered under right side of T in STATES. Straight topped 5 is short and heavy. There is a sharp centering dot between crossbars 3 & 4 at left. The E in the scroll has been widely recut to the left.

Now, let's see all your 1834 Capped Bust Halves.image

Updated link to the entire Capped Bust Half Dollar Series
I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

Comments

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you help me with this one?image
    Larry

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

Great images mozin! The recut E is pretty neat. These kinds of die mishaps are what makes the early Mint such a fascinating study.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Could you help me with this one?image
    image >>

After some help I can now add a bit more.

So called small date, small letter, Child's head, O-111 R-1.

Note irregular height in letters.
    "18" leans to the right and "34" leans to the left.
    Star 6&7, the mouth, stripes 4&6.
    imageimage

Actually I had a lot of help with this.image
    Thanks rozin.
    Larry

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1834 O-101 R1
    Large Date, Large Letters

A couple of notables for this variety:
    Obverse 1- forecurl is a solid one piece spray instead of upper and lower curls
    Reverse A- Stand of 5 is re-cut Base of M well above base of E(recut)
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are two 1834 coins from my set. The top coin is an XF-40 O-114 (R1) that is really nice for the grade. The pic makes it look like it is wiped right above the date, but I swear that there is nothing there. The other coin is an unattributed PCGS AU-50 that is a large date variety. It's an AU-55 to 58 coin that was probably dipped and was certainly downgraded for some light hairlines. The lighting I'm using to photograph these is making them look like an ANA exhibit on detecting hairlined coins, but they're pretty nice in person.

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mozin has suggested that my PCGS coin above might be a Large Date, Small Letters 1834 O-104: Tine above left corner of shield. Anyone else want to second that? My Overton book is at home.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I member someone telling me once what my only Busty was. But I didn't take note. This time I will.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1834 NGC AU-58 (Large Date - Small Letters O-105) Brown Rim-Toned Capped Bust Half Dollar

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    I don't know the overton number but this one is pretty cool if you ask me. Maybe someone can help me with the overton number.

• Options
    mepotmepot Posts: 585 ✭✭✭
    I'm getting myself in a spot.This is the first thread I look for when I come to the forum lately.image

I will get some better pics of my 1834's before Thursday.As to the ones shown :66tbird,you'res looks like

O104,R2,the same as rheddons second coin.the 1 is close to the drapery.

Stuarts O105 is easiest to spot by the high 4 in the date,and on the rev the I is entirely left of the T.

Bruceswar,your coin is O102,large date/letters.The date is slanted left,rev I is left of the T,A-A nearly touch

(top arrow nearly touches the A)

Ok,enough from me ,somebody elses turn.image
    computer illiterate,becoming coin literate with the help of this forum.
  • Options
    Thank you, I have made note. It's a detail I would of never noticed until pointed out.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I'm way in over my head on figuring out varieties so I won't even try. Here's my '34

• Options
    richardshipp,

See if your coin matches up with an earlier one in this thread.image
  • Options
    Little known fact- the Abominable Basterds mentioned earlier are among the most significant American coins as this was the first attempt I am aware of to hub the entire design on both obverse and reverse. This marks the beginning of the end for hand made dies with all characters punched individually into the dies.

No one bit on the 1835 thread as to what a realistic mintage for 1835 halves is. Consider that the reported mintage for 1834 is 6,412,004 with 21 die marriages, for 1835, the reported mintage is 5,352,006, with 10 die marriages, and for 1836, the reported mintage is 6,546,200 with 23 reported die marriages. What doesn't add up?
  • Options
    Good question?
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1834 O-102 R1 (Slight rotation on this coin.):

Obverse: The 3 is recut showing below. The 8 is recut showing below its upper loop. The date slants left.

imageimageimage

Reverse: First and second crossbars join into one just right of top of shield. 50 C is very close, large, high, and tipped to the left. Arrowheads are broad and close together. A-A (Last A in AMERICA distance to upper arrowhead) nearly touch.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a late addition to the thread. Hope thats OK

It's O-114 (IMO) and WAS slabbed by PCG as AU55

It's crusty!

• Options
    here is mine, small date, small letters (O-112)
    jetblack740il

==================================

Complete US-PHIL Coins for Sale, Circulation Strikes 1903-1945
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just realized that I had an 1834 O-102 floating around. Found my older pics of her, but can't find the reverse pic--I don't want to show the wrong reverse. Here is the O-102.
    As has been shown above, the O-102 uses Obv. 2 with Rev B
    The Obverse shows a totally recut 3 and some recutting on all the other numbers. The date shows a slant to the left and is evenly spaced.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭

<< <i>richardshipp,

See if your coin matches up with an earlier one in this thread.image >>

Is mine the O-114 R 1 ??
  • Options
    What die marriage is the King of Siam half?
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for Large Date Small Letters 1834 O-104 R2:

Obverse: 18 wider than 834. Very high date has an open 3, and an extra tall tapered 1.

imageimage

Reverse: Tine above left corner of shield. Most specimens have a die lump in the field evenly spaced below TE. First two lines of stripe 4 extend well below the shield border, just right of center. Right side of I under left side of T.

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for starting these BH threads. I dont visit too often but that may change soon. Here is my contribution for 1834. Large Date Large Letter and a Small Date Small Letter. Sorry but I dont have the Overton numbers for them. Edited to add - Man I suck at taking pics - they are both actually much darker

• Options
    tydye,

Compare your first coin with JRoccos's O-101.

Your second coin turned out to be easy to attribute as O-116 R1. The obverse has a pair of twin dentils at the upper star on the right. It is the only use of this obverse. On the reverse, line 3 of stripe 4 (count from the left) should show upwards into the crossbar, and lines 1 & 3 should show below the shield.
  • Options
    GABGAB Posts: 641
    Since I haven't seen one yet:

Here is a very interesting 1834 O-110. The cool thing is that it shares the same reverse as an 1836 O-104, and was
    in fact made AFTER the 1836 !! (36 O-104 #453, 34 0-110 #454 - according to "Edges and Die Sequences on Early Half Dollars",
    by Ivan Leaman and Donald Gunnet.)

NOTE the circular die crack on the reverse: Starts on the left by the tail feathers, goes through the left wing, up through
    UNITED, along the top of the scroll under STATES OF A and back down into the right wing. I believe this die crack is on ALL 1834 O-110's,
    and some of the 1836 O-104's, but not all of them.

There were actually several 1834 varieties that were made AFTER 1834 - for some? reason.
    I guess they didn't need as many coins in 1834 as they had dies for - so they waited till later to use them???
    Other "after the fact" varieties include the 1834 O-119(#434) O-120(#433) and O-121(431) - all in late 1835.

The 1834 O-110 shares the same OBVERSE as the 1834 O-109, but as far as I can tell, this particular REVERSE (J) was never
    used until later in 1836. (Even 1834 O-109 was not created until the end of 1835, or beginning of 1836 - #436 in the emission sequence!)

thx, GAB
    Golf time!!
  • Options
    We are missing these 1834 Capped Bust Half Dollar Overton marriages: 103 106 107 108 109 112 113 115 117-121. There must be someone out there who has these marriages to show here. Dig out those 1834 CBHs and shoot them.image
  • Options

<< <i>We are missing these 1834 Capped Bust Half Dollar Overton marriages: 103 106 107 108 109 112 113 115 117-121. There must be someone out there who has these marriages to show here. Dig out those 1834 CBHs and shoot them.image >>

Other than being crusty, I have no idea what I have here:

imageimage
  • Options
    LickThoseStamps,

Match your coin up with the first one in this thread. If stars 3, 4, & 8 are recut, it should be O-114. Otherwise, it would be O-113.
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for Large Date Small Letters 1834 O-105 R1:

Obverse: Star 1 points between dentils. The 4 is recut showing below its crossbar. Date is low, with 18 wider than 834, 4 higher, and a tall open 3.

imageimageimageimage

Reverse: ATES is recut. A curved die line almost joins S and O. 50 C is high. Thin left stand of M is joined to its center stand at the base. Centering dot between crossbars 3 & 4 at left. Line 3 of stripes 1 & 2 extend upwards. I far left of T.
  • Options
    We are missing these Overton marriages: 103, 106-9, 12, 13, 15, 17-22. Anyone own one of these?image
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stuart, your O.105 makes me drool image
  • Options
    nice coins here
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    I believe this is an Overton 118? I don't know how accurate Overton & Peterson are right now, but they both rate it as a R4. Can someone confirm this?
    Take a Link!
    SM

ANA - J-3139215
    SPMC - J-12338
    McDCCC - Charter Member

Announcing: The Numismatic Enquirer - Website
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is 118. Yes, it is still considered an R-4.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options

<< <i>It is 118. Yes, it is still considered an R-4. >>

Awesome! Was that an OK price for it?
    Thanks again,
    SM
    ANA - J-3139215
    SPMC - J-12338
    McDCCC - Charter Member

Announcing: The Numismatic Enquirer - Website
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    StopMotion,

You might as well post pictures of your coin. Your coin marriage has not yet been shown, or described here.image
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Awesome! Was that an OK price for it?
    Thanks again,
    SM >>

I think you did all right...any undamaged bustie for under 40 bucks is OK IMO. I doubt the R-4 rating is worth any premium at this grade level though.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for Large Date Small Letters 1834 O-107 R1:

imageimageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to center of dentil. There is a triangular shaped filling in the top of I. Star 10 is recut at upper and lower points. Liberty's upper lip is thick and curled.

imageimage

Reverse: Left stand of M is recut. High 50 C has 5 tipped to the left and higher than 0. I centered under left side of T.
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for Large Date Small Letters 1834 O-108 R2:

imageimageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to lower half of dentil. Date has slender figures and an open 3. Mouth is slightly open with a full curved lower lip.

Reverse: Many crossbars extend into wings at right and at left. Line 1 of stripe 4 extends down. Right and left outlines of shield extend past at bottom. I centered under right side of T.
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for Small Date Small Letters 1834 O-109 R1:

imageimageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper edge of dentil. Stars 8, 9, and 10 are recut, most obvious on S10. Stars sharp except for S8. Usually, there is a patch of tiny die dots in field below ribbon end. Upper serif on 1 is long. (Same obverse as O-110.)

imageimageimage

Reverse: Multiple parallel die lines through shield and into field on right. There is a triple dentil above last S in STATES. A tiny die lump shows below left wing tip, near dentils. Small 5 has a straight top and closed loop. I centered under right side of T.

• Options

Mozin... Here's a 1834 / O-103 / R.2

See what you started..."-)

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    I think this one is an O-118 but I could be wrong. It is a lot harder to attribute than I thought. A guy I know wants $80 for it and I am very hesitant.
    imageimage
    If I was half as smart as I am dumb Iwould be a genious
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who would even consider buying this????.........

Capped Busty
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1834/4 O-106 R1:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper half of dentil. Large crude 4 is cut over small 4, showing above crosslet. Most stars are flat. 1 and 4 are much taller than 83. There is a pair of twin segments between stars 6 & 7.

imageimageimage

Reverse: Curved left leg of M is over a straight M, and is joined to bottom center of M. This leg is directly above the right end of the scroll. 5 is tipped to the left. Upper left corner of shield is doubled. I is centered under T.
  • Options
    If someone would post their 1834 CBH, I promise I will post another of mine.image
  • Options

<< <i>If someone would post their 1834 CBH, I promise I will post another of mine.image >>

Wow Mozin. That very first 1834 on this thread is stunning. Is it your coin?

Sorry but I have no 1834's now. I did have an NGC MS65 once but that one is long gone.
  • Options
    Yes BiddlesBank, I only post pictures of coins I own, unless stated otherwise. I miss seeing your green Afro picture.image

Thanks for the compliment. I bought the coin raw back in 1995 at a very small show in Oregon. I just noticed how little I paid for it! Darn, I wish I could buy them now for even triple the money paid back in 1995.
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1834 O115. Most obvious diagnostic is the recut 0 50/0.
    imageimage
  • Options

Some diagnostics for Large Date Large Letters 1834 O-101 R1:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper edge of dentil. Forecurls are joined into just one by a broad curved line. Date often shows some recutting. This specimen has all digits recut.

imageimage

Reverse: Large high “50 C” has a tall open “5” with slender lines. On earlier specimens, upright of “5” shows recutting at left of upright, not on this specimen. Base of “M” is above “E”, and left base of “E” is recut, showing left. “I” far left of “T”.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file