Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need advice�I came home yesterday and got the shock of my life

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
No, I didn’t catch Mrs. Longacre in bed with the pool boy. This is far worse.

I’ve written in the past about the hiring of our domestic help, Consuela. I have always been conscientious about coin security and keeping my coin stuff out of view whenever I knew she was going to be around. I should also add that I have no reason to believe that Consuela is not on the up and up. Last night when I got home, however, I had a shocking realization-- I’ve been found out.

I keep some of my coin books/CW/recent auction catalogs on a particular shelf, until I have time to file them properly in the vast Longacre library. I made a point of making sure that the books were turned over and it was not obvious what the topics of the books were. However, when I got home, I noticed that the books were dusted and they were turned right side up.

Then my next shock came when I took a look at the nightstand in the bedroom. I keep my in process reading there. Currently I have a stack containing the Burdette Renaissance book, the Shelby Civil War book, a John Adams biography, the Rick Snow Flying Eagle book, and the most recent issue of Golf Digest. I always put the books in a particular order. The Golf Digest is always on top because I am afraid the coin books might get faded because the nightstand is near the window.

I literally almost passed out with fear when I saw that the books were out of order and the Rick Snow book was on top, its cover prominently displaying oversized pictures of the copper treasures. I almost asked Mrs. Longacre if she had been reading my coin books, but because the nightstand was dusted, I knew the chances were remote that Mrs. Longacre was involved with re-ordering the books.

Does anyone think I have anything to worry about? I don’t keep any coins in the house, but the thought of getting found out is creeping me out. What do you think?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you might be over reacting.
  • Options
    You sound smoewhat paranoid.image
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it simply sounds like your housekeeper is actually doing her job. Wish I could say the same.image
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My housekeeper recently cleaned my bookshelves in my office, which included moving and reorganizing all of my coin books. She did a nice job! image

Edit: Are you worried that she will find out that you are a nerd? image
  • Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    How long has she been working for you, and has she ever cleaned these areas before?

I would think that anyone that was snooping around would at least put the stuff back in the same way they found it to avoid detection, if they weren't sharp enough to do that then I don't know that they would be sharp enough to know what they were looking at.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Longacre, if THAT is the shock of your life, as hard as it might be for me to believe, you must be even more boring than I amimage

Chill. image
  • Options

<< <i>No, it simply sounds like your housekeeper is actually doing her job. Wish I could say the same.image >>

Is your housekeeper named Florence, by ant chance image
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

Paranoia will Destroya.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Coinguy1 - if this is the shock of your life you reeeeeeeeeeeally need to get out more.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

<< <i>Does anyone think I have anything to worry about? >>

Yes! But it has nothing to do with Consuela or the Pool Boy.image
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    You are over reacting. Ok, so she knows you collect coins or at a minimum have an interest in them. Not sure what kind of car you drive, but do you make sure she doesn't see it? It is easier to steal and dump your car than it is your coins, especially if she hasn't seen them. Also, the fact that you cna hire a cleaning person means you have SOME money. Relax.
  • Options
    Humorous post, Longy, but I now am concerned that you are cheating on ME! What's with the Snow book?

imageimageimage
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    strangely, i think you're more freaked out that your stuff was messed with and that the arrangement was skewed!!! that's OK, though, since most of us tend to be just a bit obsessive. since you trust the maid you have it made. now, just take the next step and come out of the closet.
  • Options
    The few rare coins an other things of value I keep around, I put in my safe. I have some other safeguards against a robbery, following what the police advised.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    johnsim03johnsim03 Posts: 992 ✭✭
    The purpose of this thread is so that all of those who can afford housekeepers
    can come on and brag about it.

Or, something like that...

Big deal.

John
    John C. Knudsen, LM ANA 2342, LM CSNS 337
    SFC, US Army (Ret.) 1974-1994
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Longacre, if THAT is the shock of your life, as hard as it might be for me to believe, you must be even more boring than I amimage

Chill. image >>

• Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    I would not tend to believe that she is doing anything wrong, but you already knew that. If you want to relax, leave out several books on in-home surveillance techniques and nanny-cam catalogs. If she is paying attention to what she is looking at (which is the crux of your fear), she will undoubtably assume that, while being a gold "coin dandy," you are also a security afficianado. That should alay your fears.
  • Options
    johnsim03johnsim03 Posts: 992 ✭✭

<< <i>I would not tend to believe that she is doing anything wrong, but you already knew that. If you want to relax, leave out several books on in-home surveillance techniques and nanny-cam catalogs. If she is paying attention to what she is looking at (which is the crux of your fear), she will undoubtably assume that, while being a gold "coin dandy," you are also a security afficianado. That should alay your fears. >>

Gee, and maybe ensure you have enough insurance - that maybe, just maybe might give you some peace
    of mind...

John
    John C. Knudsen, LM ANA 2342, LM CSNS 337
    SFC, US Army (Ret.) 1974-1994
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you might be over reacting. >>

You Think...image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chances are the housekeeper already knew, but your fears are not unreasonable. Three years ago we had new windows put in the house, and even though I covered all of my numismatic library in my den with sheets before the workmen came in, six months later we had a breakin at the house and the only thing taken was a double row box of my Honduras copper collection that I had had out of the safe to work on in the den. That is why I sold off all of my coins and now collect vintage postcards of the town I live in. Nobody in their right mind would steal them.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Just buy a bunch of books on rare art and rare jewels and leave them lying around. The people casing your house will look at your $10 Walmart pictures on the wall and at the plastic costume jewelery in your wifes jewelery box and just assume you like books about rich peoples collectables but that you don't actually have anything worthwhile to steal. Of course, this will only work if you are as cheap as me and MrsSpud are regarding our art and jewelery image
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    You're in BIG trouble and you need a PLAN to deflect Consuela's attention away from you as a potential mark. Here's a suggestion . . . .

Tell Consuela -- in a real casual way -- that you like books about coins but simply can't believe the amount of money that people will pay for coins themselves. Drive the point home by nonchalantly picking up R. Snow's book, pointing to the coins plated on the cover, and telling her that Boiler (whose name and address just happen to be inscribed on the frontispiece) owns those coins. Problem solved; you are no longer the mark. image

I can't tell from your post, Longacre, if you're truly concerned. Are you?
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Dude relax and put your books out of order occasionally.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that in many many cases, our
    cleaning personnel purposely move
    items while they are cleaning, to show
    the home owner that they are indeed
    cleaning this particular nook and cranny
    area.

You come home, see the vacuum patterns
    in the rug, smell the amonia, and see that
    this book has been shifted three inches to
    the left, and that flower vase has been
    moved back two inches on the shelf - and
    feel good that your house has been cleaned
    up that day.

I wouldn't worry about it, but to be safe,
    I'd hide the Stella.......
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I understand the concern, and it might be a chance to rethink how you have your security set up, I don't know -- but it sounds to me like your 'domestic help' was dusting all the stuff in the room and probably just put stuff back in a random order, not knowing you had a specific order set up.
  • Options
    I cant tell if this is a joke or not.image
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    And some people call "ME" nuts......Do what I do ..Don't read.....!!!!!..
    ..........................image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    I would be more worried that this freaks you out more than finding the mrs. in bed with someone else. Even more so, I would be worried about the mrs. finding out that this freaks you out more than finding her in bed with Julio.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    You are such a loser. But it wouldn't seem right around here without you flooding the first page with your threads, so carry on, by all means.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would be more worried that this freaks you out more than finding the mrs. in bed with someone else. Even more so, I would be worried about the mrs. finding out that this freaks you out more than finding her in bed with Consuela.

morris <>< >>

imageimage
  • Options
    You are such a loser. But it wouldn't seem right around here without you flooding the first page with your threads, so carry on, by all means.

Just like it would not seem right around here without you insulting well-meaning forum members. So, carry on, too.
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    If this amounts to the "shock of your life", Longacre, you're in big trouble.
    Maybe you should try getting a life.
    I let folks know I collect coins. That way I'm the one they come to when they come into some and want to sell them. Matter of fact, I have an ex employee that just came into a large collection of mainly 19th century coins he wants me to look at and make an offer on. He says a lot of them look brand new.
    I keep my collection secured, so I don't have to fear anyone stealing them. If you keep yours in a safe place, you have little to be concerned about.
    By the way, I've I've been collecting since 1957, and the only coins I've had stolen were some I left on my desk here at my place of business instead of putting them away.

Ray
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I woke this morning with this in my email ... It is difficult to relate to your paranoia.

Subject: A Plot of Grass

I hope the picture will go through for you; of this Army soldier in Iraq with his "tiny plot of grass" in front of his tent.
    It's heartwarming!

Here is a soldier stationed in Iraq, stationed in a big sand box. He asked his wife to send him dirt ( U.S. soil), fertilizer and some grass seed. When the men of the squadron have a mission they are going on, they take turns walking through the grass and the American soil to bring them good luck.

If you notice, he is even cutting the grass with a pair of a scissors. Sometimes we are in such a hurry that we don't stop and think about the little things that we take for granted.
    Upon receiving this, please say a prayer for our soldiers that give and give (and give up) so unselfishly for us. ------------

That is a cool story, isn't it ? image

• Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355

<< <i>You are such a loser. But it wouldn't seem right around here without you flooding the first page with your threads, so carry on, by all means.

Just like it would not seem right around here without you insulting well-meaning forum members. So, carry on, too. >>

Of all the threads giving him a hard time, you pick mine. You're two of a kind, and manofcoins had you nailed.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i>I cant tell if this is a joke or not.image >>

Gotta be a joke.

I can hear the interogation after Consuela's body is found. "OK, OK, I did it. but you don't understand......my Golf Digest was not on top!!!! It wasn't on top!!!!! I had to do it!!!"

Chill out dude.
    ---Larry---

More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits." - John Nelson.
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think you might be over reacting. >>

You Think...image >>

• Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭

<< <i>Maybe you should try getting a life. >>

He's a tax lawyer. For him this is a life.

CG
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Longacre, I think you should build a secet room addition underground-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do all your little penguin figurines face south, too? (Bonus points for naming the 1990s movie I'm referencing)
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You lead a quiet life.
  • Options
    I had a boss one time who was anal about his bookshelf and the alignment of items on his desk..

Everytime I went into his office I would move things on his desk and also when he wasn't looking I'd flip a book north to south on edge and move it out of order and sure enough within 24 hours he would have the book correctly back in place .. He was unbelievable.

Toward the end of our employment there.. (company went belly up) I would move things on his desk, right infront of his eyes while looking right at him..
    He'd watch me move his blotter away from the edge of the desk or something like that. From that point on it was like a dog salivating. What this did was put his mind into overload needing to correct the alignment and our discussions went rather quickly after that..

Is your mind playing tricks on you.. are you really concerned with her finding out about your hobby, or is the alignment really the issue?
  • Options
    Of all the threads giving him a hard time, you pick mine. You're two of a kind, and manofcoins had you nailed.

Yours was the most insulting, and you never miss an opporunity to take a shot. Why not take up hunting? This is a coin forum.

I am glad that we are "two of a kind". I consider that to be a compliment. Sorry to disappoint you. image
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
    Try wearing a hat made out of tinfoil so that she can't read your thoughts.
  • Options
    I hope this is a parody. If not I would put your collection in a safe deposit box and save yourself alot of stress.
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    I have a friend who's convinced someone will try to steal my beagle if I leave her outside untended. Apparently the beagle is the Honda Civic of the dog world.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    If out of order books are an alarming shock and concern to you then your life is one of great privilege. My problems seem far more severe than unorganized books.

You even have Mark Feld making fun of you, and his life makes watching concrete dry seem like a thrill of a lifetime.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You even have Mark Feld making fun of you, and his life makes watching concrete dry seem like a thrill of a lifetime. >>

Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a friend who's convinced someone will try to steal my beagle if I leave her outside untended. Apparently the beagle is the Honda Civic of the dog world. >>

However, they are very popular in Thai neighborhoods.........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You are such a loser. But it wouldn't seem right around here without you flooding the first page with your threads, so carry on, by all means. >>

• Options
    Longacre - you are making us folk from Connecticut look bad....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file