Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Contest - Results In - Slabbed Coin Presentation

This was a very close contest, with just over five percentage points separating the top four entries!

Congratulation to nwcs for his winning image!

Here are the top four entries:

1st - nwcs (photo #4)
2nd - MrSpud (photo #2)
3rd (tie) - messydesk (photo #1) and tjkillian (photo #9)

Thanks to all the contestants for participating - there were some very nice compositions here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The contest rules, in regards to the image composition:

2) Each entry should be a single image in JPG format, no larger than 800 x 800 pixels, and should show:
a) At least one image of the coin obverse
b) At least one image of the coin reverse
c) The slab label (or pertinent pieces of the label)

Photos of coin taken with Canon A80 zoomed to 3x at 10" with Cokin +2 close-up lens,
single daylight fluorescent light, ISO 50, 1/10 sec, f8.0. Hologram shot through microscope
with fluorescent light held low off to the side. Drop shadow on slab label layer. Large, black
outer glow on the coins. Brightness/contrast adjustment layer sitting on top hologram to darken
the diagonal under the coins a little. Abandoned using an artistic filter on the hologram in the
interest of time. Scratches buffed out of slab with InternationalR Brass + Metal Polish, distributed
by The Lincoln Co., Reading, PA.

The coin is a PCGS AU58 Three Cent Silver Coin. I took the picture with a Coolpix 950 mounted on a
Mini-Tripod with a single Reveal Lightbulb in a clip-on light fixture set right above the Camera. The coin
was photographed with a very slight tilt in order to get the color to show and to avoid glare/haze from
the slab. The photo was processed using both Picture-It 99 and Paint Shop Pro 8. I basically use the
Picture-It 99 to do cropping and the backgrounds and the Paint Shop Pro 8 to adjust the brightness,
contrast and clarity as needed to make the photo accurately represent the look of the coin in-hand.
I cropped the word PCGS and the grade using Picture-It and placed it on the photo and made the edges
transparent so the grade blends in with the background. The background is made by using a two colored
black and white gradient and then by using the edge softener to create the “windowbox” effect and then
added a black border to frame it.

Thanks go out to all of the participants - there are some cool images here!

Winner receives a 2005 Satin-finish U.S. Mint Set in the original, unopened box.

I'll keep the polls open until Wednesday, April 26 10pm CDT

Here is a list of the contestants:
(images are in random order)
---------------------------------
ashmore
dizzyfoxx
fairlaneman
MadMarty
messydesk
mgoodm3
MrSpud
northcoin
nwcs
p8nt
shylock
tjkillian

Ken

P.S. It's fun doing these occasional contests and I have a couple more ideas. If
you have any ideas for future contests or ways to improve them, I want to hear
from you! image

Comments

• Options
    Dizzyfoxx
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxe's coin
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    #4 is awesome. I like #9 too but there are too many coins.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice work. I like #1.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #5 is the funniest.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was 05 some kind of joke or just a put-down of ANACS?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    #1 First Place
    #4 2nd place
  • Options
    #5 is appropriately graded, can't you tell by the images?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!! I like 4, 9, and 10!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    I'm surprised more didn't like #2 all that much. Very neat and straight forward.

I really liked most of them a bunch, wish some of the skill would filter over here.

Edit- Got the # wrong.
  • Options
    #4 would be stellar if it had more coin and less everything else. It's a very classy arrangement.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was 05 some kind of joke or just a put-down of ANACS? >>

I see it as a put-down of people who buy plastic and not coins. Pretty funny.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted #2, but I actually don't care for any of them...They ALL spend too much space on the slab/label rather than the coin itself.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    I like #4 best but the coin should be larger IMHO. It's very nice the way the slab label is muted out so it doesn't distract from the coin.

#3 is really nice as well but I don't like the deep tunnel look of the background so much or the placement and size of the slab label.

#5 is just a freakin' joke. Is that really someone's idea of a serious presentation? The coin is smaller than the typeface! image
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    #2 is the least cluttered and easily the best presentation. Waaay too much clutter in all the rest, with distracting backgrounds. I want to see metal, and everything else is a waste of space.
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭
    I liked #9. Very appealling, professional looking & a nice background for the coins of the period.

Next, #7. When entering a contest, it doesn't hurt to compliment the sponsor.image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was tough, I liked 2, 3, and 4. I liked 4 the most, but I liked all three of them enough to want to vote for them.

All the pics are nice, I'd say not a loser in the group.
  • Options
    I love the layout of #9, but have to agree they are all great photos!
    TheZooKrew
    Morgan, modern sets, circulated Kennedys, and Wisconsin error leaf quarter Collector
    First (and only - so far) Official "You Suck" Award from Russ 2/9/07
  • Options
    I liked #9, but as wallpaper, not as a representation of a single slabbed coin.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Was 05 some kind of joke or just a put-down of ANACS? >>

I see it as a put-down of people who buy plastic and not coins. Pretty funny. >>

In that case, a PCGS slab would have been a better choice.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Those are all excellent photos (well except for maybe #5)
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    tggrtggr Posts: 748
    I like 1
    Ray
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    #5 is absolutely unique.

Dadacoinism. image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Love them all. I picked #9 and #4 comes in a close second.
  • Options
    #2 is very nice but it doesn't have the slab label....... this is a "slabbed coin presentation" .....
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>#2 is very nice but it doesn't have the slab label....... this is a "slabbed coin presentation" ..... >>

And that is what makes it the nicest of the presentations...it presents the "slabbed coin" not the slab.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭

TorinoCobra71

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>#2 is very nice but it doesn't have the slab label....... this is a "slabbed coin presentation" ..... >>

And that is what makes it the nicest of the presentations...it presents the "slabbed coin" not the slab. >>

The rules called for the slab label, which is a handicap to any good presentation, since all slab labels are rather unattractive in the context of the coin being presented.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Number 9 for the coolest representation of some PCGS slabs. image
    Just a little information:

The rifle at the top is an 1853 3-band Enfield rifle musket, the most popular imported rifle (800,000 from England) used during the war
    The pocket watch was made in November, 1863 in Waltham, Mass.
    The hat on the upper left is a kepi from South Carolina
    The glasses is typical of those used in the mid-19th century
    The Federal $1 bill was the first paper money issued the the U.S. Government, July 1862
    The background is the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virgina, infantry, 3rd bunting
    The Confederate $10 was a more popular paper note saved.
    The indian cent was the only circulating coin of any kind in 1863, east of the Mississippi.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #10 is pretty original, but im a bit partial to that coin, 9 is nice too and have used that as wallpaper from time to time, I saw it somewhere a few months back and saved it,...I think that person has 1 other one thats similar
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    The rule in question was worded thusly:

2) Each entry should be a single image in JPG format, no larger than 800 x 800 pixels, and should show:
    a) At least one image of the coin obverse
    b) At least one image of the coin reverse
    c) The slab label (or pertinent pieces of the label)

I converted one entry from .bmp to .jpg to get the file size reasonable, and resized another (with permission
    of the contestant) to get it down to the 800 pixel requirement.

In regards to entry #2 - it wasn't really what I had in mind, but I thought I would leave the interpretation of
    rule 2c up to each individual contestant. Frankly, with some of the creative folks around here, I was more
    concerned with having to police rule #3 (No funny business!) image

Ken
  • Options

<< <i>

And that is what makes it the nicest of the presentations...it presents the "slabbed coin" not the slab. >>

Then the coin might as well be raw.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Ummm... the rule was that the picture should contain "The slab label (or pertinent pieces of the label)". If you look closely at #2, the grade of PCGS AU58 seems to be the actual pertinent piece of the label appropriately cropped and inserted into the picture in a minimalistic way so as to not detract from the presentation. image
  • Options
    Actually, MrSpud, you are right on the money! I just looked over my notes and the contestant for
    entry #2 included the following (excerpted) notes with their emailed entry:

"...I cropped the word PCGS and the grade using Picture-It and placed it on the photo and made the
    edges transparent so the grade blends in with the background."

So, entry #2 has indeed followed the rules of the contest to a T!

Ken
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the question as posed it's #2. But #4 and #9 are really great, attractive images.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Had to go with #9. Very nice historical look to it. Everyone did a great job.image Did this after the fact. Day late and a dollar short, story of my lifeimage

• Options
    me like 4 want more like 4 yea
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Had to go with #9. Very nice historical look to it. Everyone did a great job.image Did this after the fact. Day late and a dollar short, story of my lifeimage

image >>

Very, very image Lee!image ...That would have certainly got my vote.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    I love them all!imageimage
  • Options
    #5 is definitely original
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭
    # 9 is definatly a great picture, but I don't think it presents the slabbed coin the best. #1 got my vote, but I really do like #9
  • Options
    When you are finished with this vote, you should rearrange them and post it again. I think you will find 01 is getting more votes than it should because it is first in line.
  • Options
    I think the rules need to be posted at the top of the first post.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    numonebuyer - I like #1 very much, but next time will make the first voting option something
    along the lines of "Just show me the results" to insure that every vote take a conscious effort.

cosmic - I have posted rule #2 at the top - this was the only one regarding image composition.

This is a very close race between the top four contestants and may go down to the wire!!! image

Ken
  • Options
    By the way, I picked #4.

• Options
    Contest ends tonight!

The top four entries are within about six percentage points!

Ken
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    ttt - Last Chance image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file