Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will the PeaceGate fiasco hurt NGC's reputation?

Just curous what other board members think.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about. -Benjamin Franklin-

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    This isn't the first time this has happened, and they're still doing just fine.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>This isn't the first time this has happened, and they're still doing just fine.

Russ, NCNE >>

They have had a high dollar blunder like this?
    Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about. -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This isn't the first time this has happened, and they're still doing just fine.

Russ, NCNE >>

They have had a high dollar blunder like this? >>

Do you know it's a high dollar blunder? Just because Anaconda posted an inflated price on it doesn't mean he paid one.
  • Options

<< <i><< This isn't the first time this has happened, and they're still doing just fine.

Russ, NCNE >>

They have had a high dollar blunder like this? >>

Of course, and so has PCGS.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    So if the coin doctoring gets to the point where it is consistantly fooling the TPG's where does the hobby go from there?
  • Options

<< <i>So if the coin doctoring gets to the point where it is consistantly fooling the TPG's where does the hobby go from there? >>

People quit trusting TPGs concerning Color.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I think it will always take quality doctoring to fool the TPGs. The amateurish efforts fool no one. The term "market acceptable toning" only exists as a euphemism for "not sure, but looks OK."

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options

<< <i>So if the coin doctoring gets to the point where it is consistantly fooling the TPG's where does the hobby go from there? >>

I don't think that's a concern. A few will slip by, as has always happened, but I doubt we'll get to a point where PCGS and NGC are consistently fooled.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    What do you mean "constantly"?

I would hardly describe the TPG's as being "constantly fooled".

I chalk this Peace dollar situation right up there next to the '93-s Morgan in the au+ PCGS holder that was BENT. Yes, BENT.

The coin went back to PCGS. They missed it. It doesn't mean they are incompetent.

Same with this Peace dollar. Just something that happened.

Let me know when it's an epidemic. image
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    Not really. Only the Tip of the iceberg...................
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fiasco du jour will open the eyes of a few people on these boards who did not already understand that the TPGs are run by humans, not infallible god-like creatures. A few extremists will refuse to buy toned coins in NGCs holders, but the world will continue to turn.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I voted yes, because as the question was stated even if one person thinks less of them, then it hurt.

That said. No one and no service is perfect. Therefore since we all make mistakes they should not suffer any more than if any of the other services made a mistake. They could suffer if they do not re-imburse the owner, however.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS and NGC have had plenty of blunders, as has been said. I recall a few years ago when Legend had a gem saint that turned after being puttied... I think that was a $14k coin or so. A PCGS piece from a FUN auction, if sent back, should also result in a very hefty buy-back (far more than this peace dollar). Mistakes happen, but a few out of millions isn't so bad when you think about it.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a week, we'll all forget.

Well, maybe two. image
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Although this coin was a blatant example, NGC has a long history of holdering AT'd Peace dollars from what I've seen in the past, so I don;t think this example hurts their reputation any more than any of the others they've holdered.
  • Options
    Of course yes, but only a little bit. Now, if this were in a new ANACS holder, given the point that company is at with a product launch, that would be big trouble for them.

Be careful out there. Some dealers could care less if they are selling AT coins, raw or certified, as long the flow of green continues into their bank account.
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    The more incidents of errors and other misfeasance, the worse the reputation.
  • Options
    Julian said it best.
    Nick
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you really no how easy it is to fool NGC with AT tone you will figure that this latest fiasco will not hurt them at all. What will hurt them is when collectors figure out that the said TPG is really not as good as they are hyped up to be.

Why did I make this statement ?

First off they put a coin in a slab that you might say I "Doctored". It was a 1931D Merc Dime that I did not like the grade ANACS put on it, MS62. After goofing around a little with 2x2 envelopes, acetone and a little heat I stumbled across a way that imparted the rustic look that a coin can pick up over the years. This look covered hairlines but also let the luster shine through. After putting this look on the dime I sent it in with a few other Mercs and low and behold NGC slapped a MS64 grade on it. This was done about five years ago so maybe it is not fair to say they grade like this now but the said TPG has not proven this to me yet.

Second out of all of the slabs I have purchased in the last eight or so years they have put more blatant AT coins in suspect slabs than anyother TPG. This includes later PCI slabs and ANACS. All of the coins that were suspect were cracked out and given a very quick dip. Poof the tone was gone which confirmed my suspicion. So far I have not found what I thought was a AT coin in a PCGS slab.

In no way is NGC in the same league with some of the Scum Slabbers now present within the hobby. What they do need to do is tighten up some when it comes to toned coins if they expect to stay out of the Scum Slabbers territory.

Ken
  • Options

<< <i>So far I have not found what I thought was a AT coin in a PCGS slab >>

Perhaps so, but many others apparently believe that they have.
  • Options
    NGC hasn't even had a chance to respond or react to the issue. Give them a chance.
  • Options
    "Do you know it's a high dollar blunder? Just because Anaconda posted an inflated price on it doesn't mean he paid one. "

I paid big money for the coin.
  • Options

<< <i>So far I have not found what I thought was a AT coin in a PCGS slab. >>

It's a fact that this coin is AT'd and it's in PCGS plastic:

• Options

<< <i><< So far I have not found what I thought was a AT coin in a PCGS slab >>

Perhaps so, but many others apparently believe that they have. >>

That toning look familiar?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    There are AT coins in the top TPG's holders. Part of what you get when you have a good relationship with a good dealer is screening them out of your collection.
  • Options

<< <i> So far I have not found what I thought was a AT coin in a PCGS slab.
    Ken >>

Wow! Ken you must not get out much!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    Here is the standard used by PCGS in determining whether to grade or bag a coin based on questionable toning. Standard is per David Hall's reply in the Q&A formum last month.

<< <i>The guiding concept on artifical toning (and many other no-grades) is "clear and convincing evidence." If a grader is fairly certain the coin is AT he will not grade it. If he's just "sort of suspicious he'll put a grade on it. >>

CG
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> So far I have not found what I thought was a AT coin in a PCGS slab.
    Ken >>

Wow! Ken you must not get out much! >>

Let me correct the statement.

"So far I have not found a coin in a PCGS slab that was AT that I have purchased".

Since I live in the sticks most of the purchases I make are Sight Unseen so yes a really broad scope of the market is not seen and I do not buy modern coins except for a few Roosies and coins needed for my type set which ends at 1964.

Still the score is NGC 4, ANACS 1, PCI 1 and PCGS a big goose egg.

And just for the record on the Peace Dollar. First thought was its Ugly and the second thought was AT. I saw the thread very early but did not respond because of what happened with another dollar that was shown by the same buyer/seller a year or so ago.

Ken
  • Options
    suspicious tone yes.............but this pig is so fake

The NGC graders KNEW it was fake ; but they slabbed iy anyway

THATS what so disturbing
  • Options
    "Part of what you get when you have a good relationship with a good dealer is screening them out of your collection. "

Yes, it might be true but your dealer should also steer you away from putting together a huge collection of top pop three cent nickels.

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are AT coins in the top TPG's holders. Part of what you get when you have a good relationship with a good dealer is screening them out of your collection. >>

Sounds all warm and fuzzy. Yet they then make statements such as this.

<< <i>Even if the coin is AT, the rule of thumb is, if its that good and its slabbed, buy it! >>

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS has made mistakes too.

The difference was this one went high profile on this board.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I had a collection of POP TARTS once.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Yes, it might be true but your dealer should also steer you away from putting together a huge collection of top pop three cent nickels.

image smoebody made a lot of money on those recently.
  • Options
    Hurt NGC's reputation? Is that relative to PCGS's reputation?

It has to be. They are competing for the top spot in TPGs. My buddy just had a set of naturally toned ASEs rejected by PCGS. So I voted NO, it won't hurt relative to PCGS because both companies make mistakes....
  • Options
    Is it just me, or are there other collectors who feel that toned coins are those that have been improperly handled/stored over the years?

I've never understood the mentality of paying premiums for such things.

• Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In a week, we'll all forget.

Well, maybe two. image >>

I hope this doesn't have the makings like the months of Wannabe posts.

Edit: Thiggy, you spill some liver of sulfur on the back of that? Or was it just a drip?

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

<< <i>Thiggy, you spill some liver of sulfur on the back of that? Or was it just a drip? >>

Good eye image

<< <i>

<< <i>So far I have not found what I thought was a AT coin in a PCGS slab. >>

It's a fact that this coin is AT'd and it's in PCGS plastic:

image >>

But this one is a lot prettier

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options

<< <i>Is it just me, or are there other collectors who feel that toned coins are those that have been improperly handled/stored over the years?

I've never understood the mentality of paying premiums for such things. >>

I think most like coins the way the mint made them untoned, all toned coins are less interesting to most but when wild colors are on a coin its like wow to those that like them & even those that don't like toned coins like the wild colored coins. Ugly toned coins are still ugly, just like water spotted coins, but who knows, could be water spot collectors will be the new craze.
    Most dealers Grading was new or used when I started & most still didn't get it right.
  • Options
    AS the man said - Any publicity is GOOD publicity.
    It all comes down to one thing - anyone in coins should educate themselves before making any decision.
    This might be done by LOOKING at many coins (what a novel concept) or by seeking informed peer opinions.
    Whether the coin that has brought all this attention to the forefront again was AT or NT, what any one
    person likes about a coin may never agree with anyone else. If the coin was listed for sale at $14.50 or
    $14,500 if the buyer can afford the price and is happy with the coin that is all that matters.
    It also needs to be said that ALL TONING is artificial. THe coin was not struck with this surface color.
    Whether time or expertise improves the appearance and value, if in the buyers opinion it is acceptable,
    that should be the end of the matter. I believe that there are more than enough AMBULANCE CHASERS
    elsewhere in the world, that we shouldn't have to put up with them in numismatics.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voted No because their pop numbers show they have been doing this stuff for years! They created a market through advertisement and a few major coins that get the most pubicity. As long as the larger sector of custumers are happy with their product, they'll keep on churning out those MS66 and MS67 slabs forever.
    Accuracy doesn't matter as long as sales are up. It's like some restraunts and businesses when they start out, they first establish a custumer base with the best products they have, once that gets flowing, they sit back and make cuts to maximize their profits. The custumer base is huge and it takes awhile to to change an image once it has been established.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    is this the coin in question?

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file