Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Exo-exonumia: A jaw dropper for so-called dollar fans UPDATE 6/16/2006 with struck medal

jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
I hope that everyone has had the opportunity to see an item that simply made your jaw hit the floor. Fortunately for my wallet, they come for me few and far between. But every so often they do come...

This is HK-427, the official medal (in bronze) for the Panama-California Exposition. It was also produced in silver (HK-426) and gilt (HK-428) with a date of 1915; the corresponding pieces with a date of 1916 are HK-429 through HK-431.

Hibler-Kaplan had this to say about this medal:

<< <i>Official Medals below designed by C. K. Berryman, Cartoonist for Washington Star; engraved by C. E. Barber; struck in Mint Exhibit on grounds. This was the first and only official exposition medal with Uncle Sam as the main design (1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition gold dollars were not official medals); also striking of this issue for both years of exposition represented first occasion "where medal of this character had been minted and dated for different years." >>

HK-427 is fairly common as so-called dollars go.

This is a blank planchet (a little worse for its age) for striking the gilt version of this medal:

Normally, it's tough to authenticate a blank planchet. For that reason, I don't think I've ever seen another -- even assuming there are more out there, it's hard to identify them. Fact is, I'm not positive that that is a blank planchet for HK-428/HK-431. But I'm pretty sure, because it came with these:

Those are the original dies for striking HK-429, HK-430, and HK-431.

...and for the benefit for those who have never seen a real die crack before, one final close-up showing what a cracked die looks like before it strikes a coin. You can see it along the shaft of the die, then turn the corner into the striking face where it extends across the field a little above the date and then a bit into South America (it's also very visible in the head-on view above, once you realize what you're looking at):

How cool is that?

jonathan

UPDATE 6/16/2006: I finally located a copy of HK-430 with a matching die crack that shows that this medal was struck from this die. Neat! (Now I need to find copies of HK-429 and HK-431...)

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How cool is that?

I would say SOOPER COOL!
    Doug
  • Options
    Ok that is real imageimage
    Michael
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    That's awesome. Now I wonder what would happen if you decided to strike the planchet you have with the dies. Would it be considered genuine or counterfeit? After all, it is an authentic planchet and real dies. image
  • Options
    Exceptionally cool..........................on a scale of 1 to 10...it's a 15. image

I can't imagine the die were cheap.......looks like a fantastic pickup image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen broken dies but the die crack may be even cooler.

It's certainly easier to see why dies are changed when they crack.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Wow, thanks for sharing. Great thread!!
    Becky
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jonathan: Now that's a die crack! -- Thanks for sharing this interesting thread with us!!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. It is nice to see it all in one grouping!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Wow ! very interesting
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, really cool and interesting pieces.
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

VERY,VERY COOL.

Thanks.

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely fantastic group, congrats on adding it to your collection.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    What else is there to say, but really image
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm pretty psyched, to say the least.

Regarding restrikes: yes, I considered it. I can't see I'd ever do it, though, for fear of harming the dies (not to mention other little details, like lack of equipment or knowledge to do the striking). There is a long tradition of making restrikes from original dies. I was catching up on the last couple of issues of The Numismatist tonight, and one of the recent articles had a mention of the Confederate Cent restrikes, and being able to tell the 1960-vintage restrikes from the 1880-vintage ones. So for those who know about this sort of thing, I imagine there are ways to tell.

If I can come up with a suitable -- and soft -- material, I might make pressings by hand, just to see what it's like. I need something stiff like cardboard, but that would also flow enough to take an impression. Mothing has jumped to mind yet. I'll keep thinking about it.

jonathan
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the kind words. I'm pretty psyched, to say the least.

Regarding restrikes: yes, I considered it. I can't see I'd ever do it, though, for fear of harming the dies (not to mention other little details, like lack of equipment or knowledge to do the striking). There is a long tradition of making restrikes from original dies. I was catching up on the last couple of issues of The Numismatist tonight, and one of the recent articles had a mention of the Confederate Cent restrikes, and being able to tell the 1960-vintage restrikes from the 1880-vintage ones. So for those who know about this sort of thing, I imagine there are ways to tell.

If I can come up with a suitable -- and soft -- material, I might make pressings by hand, just to see what it's like. I need something stiff like cardboard, but that would also flow enough to take an impression. Mothing has jumped to mind yet. I'll keep thinking about it.

jonathan >>

Lead is traditional for soft strikes.

Plaster of paris has been used but it may be difficult to remove from the dies if you don't know the procedure.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

I have seen restrikes done in leather.

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    Great post Jonathan.image That is cool stuff! I have never seen a die crack on a die before. It is really neat.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heres my Bashlow Confederate cent restrike. That would be neat if you did strike restrikes. These were done by making transfer dies from the original dies in the 1960's. What about making transfer dies? I wonder how much money that would cost to do that.
  • Options

<< <i>f I can come up with a suitable -- and soft -- material, I might make pressings by hand, just to see what it's like. I need something stiff like cardboard, but that would also flow enough to take an impression. Mothing has jumped to mind yet. I'll keep thinking about it. >>

Just for purposes of illustration you might consider the green stuff florists use for aranging flowers. It's very maliable but stiff so it will hold the impression. Also, I can't imaging making a few impressions in that material would damage those amazing dies.
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    For the restrikes using something which wouldn't damage the dies, I wonder if FIMO clay would work? It is a polymer clay that is sort of like a cross between Play-Do and Silly Putty, only it hardens in the oven and turns into something vaguely similar to ceramics. It is used a lot to make homemade Jewelry but they also use it with little molds and stamps to make stuff. Fimo Clay
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - thanks for sharing that!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Extra-cool, Jonathan!! Here are some more artifacts from the exhibition (the second is merely a photo of the first scanned SCD.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Jonathan

i wondered if you could give a little synopsis as to how you came by the dies, as long-winded as possible, please-----nothing but the facts and details!!!image also, while this might be a centerpiece of anyone's collection, have you thought of donating it to a pertinent Historical Society, The Smithsonian or even the U.S Numismatic Collection?? the Panama Canal was a pretty big deal and really changed commerce, travel and the world as we know it today.

al h.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, now THAT is cool! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> have you thought of donating it to a pertinent Historical Society, The Smithsonian or even the U.S Numismatic Collection??
    al h. >>

Why donate any numismatic item to the Smithsonian? They'll just put it in storage.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I like the idea of using leather for a restrike, but after sleeping on this I think I've decide to leave well enough alone. I don't need a restrike, and anything I do with these dies runs some risk of damage. Call me chicken, but I'd rather not ask for trouble.

1jester: Those pics show things from the Panama-Pacific Exposition. That also took place in 1915, but in San Francisco. The Panama-Californial Exposition was in San Diego, and different (apparently).

keets: The synopsis of how I got the dies is very short: They're from eBay. I asked the seller if they had any additional information, and they said they didn't. What you see is what you get. Bummer.

jonathan
  • Options
    Update in first post with an example of HK-430 with a die crack that shows that it was struck with these exact dies.
  • Options
    Cool.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    Enjoyable yarn so far. Thanks!
  • Options

I still think you have a cool item.image

I still like the idea of a leather restrick.

A slab of leather and a 8 lb hammer,with a little back bone,your in.

I'll give you $25. for your first try.

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    wow..........i think this might be the coolest thread............well ever.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the clay referred to above is what is sold as "Sculpey." It is available at craft stores and is named, Sculpey, The Oven-Bake Cla. (America's #1 Oven-Bake Clay, "The clay that lets your imagination take shape. Easy to use! Bakes hard in your oven!" It remains soft and pliable until you bake it. It is made by Polyform Products Company of Elk Grove Village, Ill. 6007. For more details go to the website, www.sculpey.com. You knead the clay until soft and smooth. After you flatten and cut out your "planchets" then bake on oven-proof glass surface at 275 degrees F for 15 minutes, assuming a 1/4" thickness. (Do not use microwave. Do not exceed 275 degrees F. Do not exceed 15 minutes baking time.) Remove from oven and allow to cool. ONCE COOL, BAKED PIECES CAN BE POLISHED, DRILLED, CARVED, PAINTED WITH WATER BASED ACRYLICS, OR COATED WITH SCULPEY GLAZE. The company also offers Sculpey III which is better than clay and hardens similarly when baked. Sculpey III is offered in various colors and is termed, "Colored Modeling Compound."

Good luck and let us know how your "restrikes" turn out. I'd love to acquire one if you end up making them.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man alive, this is a thread that everybody interested in coins should view.

The information about the dies, the crack and seeing the medal and blank planchette is truely a piece of education I appreciate.

I hope this thread hangs around long enough for all of our big time coin people to benefit from it.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    That is very cool, Thanks for sharing.
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭
    OK. I am really impressed! I mean, really really impressed.

Without having read the entire post, where did you run across this stuff?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    You could also try wax.
  • Options
    That is so neat. I am super impressed.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding post! Thanks for sharing!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This post made my day! What a neat find..thanks for sharing!

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    A great read. Thank you.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options

That is VERY nice. WOW!
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jonathanb:

I am SO peeved at myself for not opening this thread in October when you first posted it. What you have is truly outstanding!

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Outstanding thread image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    That is WAY COOL. image
    1969s WCLR-001 counterclash
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    The thread was great before the update, but to have a cracked die with a coin struck from the die is just a super combination of great numismatic interest.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is more than 100% cool

Major KUDOS..........
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words. I'll think about the Sculpey clay, but I can just picture it getting smeared into the design elements and then being impossible to get out. That "wouldn't please me". I suspect I'll wimp out... image

jonathan
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those who found this thread of interest, may I suggest an encore? In Salt Lake City, on the airport side of Temple Square is a large multi-story museum filled with pioneer history. Included on the first floor is a detailed exhibit on the subject of Mormon money. In that exhibit is a set of originalo dies for the various Mormon gold pieces that were minted in Utah from 1849 through 1860. If I recall correctly some of those demonstrate cracked dies too. In any event, there is also a complete collection of the coins themselves along with Kirkland Notes, etc. I believe the museum's gift shop offers a set of "replica" Territorial Mormon gold coins as well. Admission the the museum is free and there are lots of other interesting exhibits as well including the death masks of Joseph and Hyrum Smith, a period printing press similar to the one the Book of Mormon was first published on in the early 1800's, etc.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I missed this thread the first time, but that's totally AWSOME!!!!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file