Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Continental Curency 1776

I found this some years ago and I was woundering if it is real. I know that this could be a restrike and all, but I know that anyone who has one of these coins hope its not a restrike just like I. I don't know if you can tell it's a restrike just by my pictures? I would appreciate any information anyone could give me.

Thank you,
Lycan

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably not, but an expert will be along. It looks like one of the CA replicas from the '80's.

Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry guy.

It's a copy. The real thing has better surfaces than that. There are many copies of these around, some of which are far more convincing than what you have.

I picked one up a Woolworth's years ago pretty much like the one you have. I searched the pile until I found one that did not have "COPY" stamped on it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    YOURS:

REAL:
    imageimage

REAL:
    imageimage

REPLICA:
    imageimage
    Posted by another member Here

For what it's worth, I also think you have a copy.

Thanks, Ralph
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    It is, of course, a copy. The real question is, what sort of copy it is, some of them are much more valuable than others.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is, of course, a copy. The real question is, what sort of copy it is, some of them are much more valuable than others. >>

Sorry to say it's a fairly recent one that is not well executed. As such its probably worth a buck or so.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Welcome to the club. Don't forget the secret handshake.imageimage
    ANA 1197201
    Vietnam Vet 69-70 - Semper Fi
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a cast copy. Sorry.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file