Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Final Results Are In.....2nd Annual Coin % Price Increase (suprise winner!)

The December 17, 2004 Greysheet is the final issue of The Coin Dealer Newsletter for 2004. With this final issue in hand, I have calculated the winner from the 2nd Annual Coin % Price Increase contest. Link to Original Thread to 2004 Annual Coin % Price Increase Contest Thank you again to all 46 members who participated in the contest. I will be putting up the link for the 2005 3rd Annual Contest later today...so start working on next years picks.

Without further ado, the top 5 picks for this years contest...with what I consider to be a brilliant and suprising winning pick, are as follows

Boichiman: 2001-S Sacagewea Roll - Proof: Jan. 1, 2004 value = $450 End of year value = $1,300 % increase = 189

beartracks42: 1892-CC Morgan - MS63: Jan. 1, 2004 value = $835 End of year value = $1,910. % increase = 129

my3cents: 1911-D $2 1/2 Gold Indian XF/AU: Jan. 1, 2004 value = $1,000 End of year value = $1,975 % increase = 98

mgoodm3: 1922 No D Lincoln - XF40: Jan. 1, 2004 value = $1,150 End of year value = $2,050 % increase = 78

bajjerfan: 1893-S Morgan - F12: Jan. 1, 2004 value = $1,800 End of year value = $3,000 % increase = 67

Please join me in congratulating and heralding Boichiman as the 2004 coin picking guru winner! Boichiman, if you will PM me with your beverage of choice, I will get it shipped to you per the original contest rules!

Congratulations again to all who participated. I found it educational and inspirational to see all the great choices and the fantastic results it took just to make it into the Top 5 this year. Please help me get even more participation in next years contest.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

Comments

• Options

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Cool contest and interesting picks guys.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Great contest, greghansen!

Congrats to bochiman on an inspired pick. The key dates did very well but got trumped by a modern!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    I bought two out of six last year, but know it was stupid dumb luck on my part!!image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool contest. I will participate this year for sure. I am most impressed with the 1892-CC Morgan prediction. That coin really took off in value this year, and I never would have seen it coming.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I would love to hear from some of the winners as to what their reasoning was for their various picks?
  • Options
    imageimage
    Michael
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The key dates did very well but got trumped by a modern! >>

It must be an error in the Greysheet because, as we all know, moderns are just junk and it's foolhardy to buy them.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The key dates did very well but got trumped by a modern! >>

It must be an error in the Greysheet because, as we all know, moderns are just junk and it's foolhardy to buy them.

Russ, NCNE >>

Here, here! I'll toast to that, Russ! Especially those JFK things. image
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations to the winners!

So, when do we get to hear about the WORST picks? image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the 1892-s Morgan in AU moved little if at all... I know there are not enough MS examples to go around

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Good call. image

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!

Thanks for the fun Greg!

I picked the pick I did but figured it wouldn't win.
    The reason I picked it, to any who care (trying to remember after almost a year) is that:

(1) It was modern and not many were picking moderns
    (2) Moderns start low and there is always a HUGE room for increase (easier to triple in price from $5 to $15 than from $5000 to $15000 (yes, I know that can be done as well)
    (3) I had just been buying some Sacs for my son's collection at that time....noted that the 2001s were not cheap when compared to others and also that there are a large number of people after them.
    (4) And, I did it to mess with all the "anti-moderns" folks.....my son and I collect from the 1800s (would love some late 1700s and early 1800s but we haven't moved there yet), from the early 1900s and also moderns. Too many people are elitist with regards to their own....so, I was hoping a modern would be a shocker image

Ron & Ron Jr

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually I think the reason I picked the 93-s in f12 was quite by accident. I think I was chiding Greg on smoe other point about the 93-s Morgans and smoehow that one was my pick.
  • Options

<< <i>[ as we all know, moderns are just junk and it's foolhardy to buy them.

Russ, NCNE >>

A most intelligent statement! But collect what you enjoy!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Sweet, 4th place. i think that i picked 22 no-D because it had been going up pretty steadily and always seem to be in demand.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Very interesting.

But a roll isn't the same as a coin. I guess I don't know the guidelines and I'm not taking away from the winner cause I sure as heck would never have called that one.

Still, somehow a roll doesn't seem like picking the coin that would appreciate the highest. How would it work out if you took it as a single proof Sac? Is a complete roll somehow different than just the single coin pricewise? Is there some significance about a complete roll that adds extra value?

Just my .02
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    Great Thread Greg!

Thanksimage Looking froward to the 3rd Annual % Price Increase thread.

Brian

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file