Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Stuff, Error Coins, BIG PICS, Very Cool!!

MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
#1 a huge double struck Jefferson
#2 A Kennedy with a huge crator in it
#3 Kennedy with a double clip
#4 Washington on off-metal planchet
#1 Washington on off-metal planchet
#2 Roosie with a crator in it
#3 Lincoln struck on scrap
#4 Lincoln struck on scrap
#5 a very strange looking Lincoln
#1 a 1939 Double Monticello (very cool)
and (this ranks very high on the coolness scale).. Well you can see for yourself...
It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
  • Options
    You kinda suck.
    NMFB ™

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    image Wild!!! image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Neat stuff Marty! Thanks for sharing
  • Options
    I like that first nickel!..
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    The first one is a die cap. I presume is was partially dislodged at some point during several strikes to get two impressions on the obv.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    That's some cool stuff!! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Love the crescent moon 1964 Lincoln scrap. Give us more details about the copper planchet strip you posted last!
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a fantastic group of errors! If you're not giving anything away, would you care to comment on where these came from? It's not that common to see such a group on the market at one time. Several things in your post suggest that you did not gt them from an established error coin dealer.

Anyone want to take a stab at ranking these in order of descending value? To get the lists consistent, let's call the them A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, C1, and D from the top down. I'll post my list later tonight. Maybe we can talk Marty into posting two lists: one ordered by what he actually paid, and one ordered by what he thinks they're worth.

Unless I miss my guess, Marty's in for some surprises in both directions...

jonathan
  • Options
    Let me guess... you paid less than face value for them?image

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    OK, I bought two notebooks full of errors from my dealer. about 2/3rds of the coins were Lincoln, most off-center and clips. THere are also about 20-30 darkside off center and double-struck coins.

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Butt-stinking-head! Man, how much for the DDR Jeff?
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    TTT for the afternoon crowd!

• Options
    Very sweet group of coins, Marty. Do you think that first Kennedy was struck through a cent planchet that was struck by the dies for a Kennedy Half? That is what it looks like from the pics. I love the double struck nickel. Very cool finds. Thanks for sharing.image

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Awesome errors Marty. Any ideas on the wierd Lincoln?
  • Options
    MadMarty!!! You SUCK!!!!!!!!image
  • Options
    Very cool errors, Marty. How much did you pay for all of them?
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    The wierd 196- Lincoln does not appear to be a genuine error. It looks like it might have dried glue around the periphery on both faces.

The rest are quite fetching.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    Very nifty!

Katrina
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is 100% cool
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

What caused that 1st Kennedy error?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

<< <i>What caused that 1st Kennedy error? >>

Heath says it was a bubble in the planchet.

• Options
    The Kennedy was struck through a nickel or cent planchet that had previously been struck by half dollar dies. It's a brockage from an off-metal/wrong planchet coin. Very rare and very valuable.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    errormaven is unquestionably right in his description of the Kennedy, although I personally think it was a dime planchet. I've seen pictures of maybe a half-dozen other examples over the last 20 years, but it's an *extremely* rare error type. Now, rarity doesn't necessarily translate to value, and I don't actually know what the market would be for something like this, but it's a nifty piece and I'd be thrilled to own it. Not many errors are worth more than $1000; I'd say this one had a shot. Certainly $500+.

Of the others, from the top down:

The double-struck nickel is spectacular, but also typical of 1964-dated errors. There was a lot of strange stuff going on that year, especially with nickels and cents. Even if this was undated, my guess would have been 1964. Figure $250, based more on spectacularity than on actual rarity. Local dealer had a similar one that I think might have been triple struck (I forget). You'll see examples with more than 4 strikes sometimes.

The bicentennial Kennedy is a decent example of a double clip on a one-year type. Maybe $100.

The quarter on cent would be a lot nicer if it had a date. Figure $250-350 on the assumption that the cent wasn't struck first; add $500 if it really was (I can't see any cent design in the pics, but it can be subtle sometimes)

The "Washington on off-metal planchet" almost certainly is on a nickel planchet, which means that it isn't really off-metal (but definitely would still be a wrong planchet). Figure $150-200, and again add $500 if the nickel was struck first. 1974 is a slightly better date; these are usually 1978 or 1979.

The Roosie was struck through cloth. Nice example, but not a lot of demand. $50-100.

The undated Lincoln off-center on a double-clipped planchet would usually be described as "struck on scrap", which is a term that I hate for its inprecision. Nice example. $50-100.

The crescent clip 1964 Lincoln is a great example; There's (obviously) a decent chance of this type being undated. $100+. Note the 1964 date again.

I agree with errormaven again on the 196x Lincoln. My first thought is also glue, although I can't really tell from the picture if the stuff around the edge is above or below the normal surface. If below, I'd say damage of some sort rather than glue. Worthless in either case, sorry.

The double Monticello is a mainstream coin. I don't feel like checking the price lists.

The cent planchet strip is spectacular. I have one that's 8x3 holes, which is more typical. This one is 9x7, which is unusual in its size, as is the presence of incomplete punches. Like the brockage-by-smaller-planchet Kennedy, this is unusual enough that it's hard to put a price; I'd say $500+ again. Hard to say whether this or the Kennedy is worth more.

With the exception of the brockage-by-smaller-planchet Kennedy and the cent strip, all of these error types are "readily" available, depending on how you define "readily". My prices are ballparks; if you want real prices, you can probably find fairly close matches in the eBay archives for most all of the others.

Oh, yeah: MadMarty, you suck!

jonathan
  • Options
    Thanks Jonathan,

I sent off about 45 errors for slabbing. We'll see what the grading companys say! Watch for the cent strip on E-Bay soon!!!

• Options

<< <i>errormaven is unquestionably right in his description of the Kennedy, although I personally think it was a dime planchet. I've seen pictures of maybe a half-dozen other examples over the last 20 years, but it's an *extremely* rare error type. Now, rarity doesn't necessarily translate to value, and I don't actually know what the market would be for something like this, but it's a nifty piece and I'd be thrilled to own it. Not many errors are worth more than $1000; I'd say this one had a shot. Certainly $500+.

I'd say the half dollar is worth at least $2500.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd say the half dollar is worth at least $2500. >>

OMG! Where is the soiling your pants icon!!!

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely high on the cool scale Marty! I'd question the authenticity of a couple of them, but regardless, what a neat score!

peacockcoins

• Options
    By the way, the brockage on this half dollar is perfectly aligned with the normal reverse design. This indicates that the smaller planchet was struck immediately before this half dollar was. The smaller coin adhered to the obverse (hammer) die after it was struck and was then struck into the half dollar planchet.

That's usually what you see with these brockages from wrong planchet coins.

--Mike Diamond
  • Options
    Hey Mike,
    Turn on your PM function!!!

• Options
    $2,500? WOW! Slab that sucker madmarty!

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy cow, Marty, you finally found some stuff up my alley. Mike and Johnathan are dead-on about the Kennedy, I wanted to read through all the posts before responding with duplicate info.

The one that got my image was the crescent-clipped '64 cent. PM about to be sent!

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

<< <i>By the way, the brockage on this half dollar is perfectly aligned with the normal reverse design. This indicates that the smaller planchet was struck immediately before this half dollar was. The smaller coin adhered to the obverse (hammer) die after it was struck and was then struck into the half dollar planchet.
    >>

So at sometime in the coins life the other planchet fell out leaving the crator? That is just too cool!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>By the way, the brockage on this half dollar is perfectly aligned with the normal reverse design. This indicates that the smaller planchet was struck immediately before this half dollar was. The smaller coin adhered to the obverse (hammer) die after it was struck and was then struck into the half dollar planchet.
    >>

So at sometime in the coins life the other planchet fell out leaving the crator? That is just too cool! >>

It's impossible to say whether the smaller coin was nested within the larger coin for any length of time after the strike. It could have remained on the hammer die afterward, or the two coins could have separated immediately after striking. All I do know is that there was a perfectly fitting companion for this half dollar. Whether it made it out of the Mint is another question.
  • Options
    Way cool! Well it is on it's way to find a home in a plastic coffin!

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some time ago I saw an auction for a mated pair, one coin was just like Marty's new Kennedy except it was a Franklin, and the cent planchet that made the indent was included as well. I'll try to look for the citation tonight.

Two observations: First, every show I ever attend, every shop I ever go into (granted, not as many of either as Marty), I ask if they have any error coins. That haul you posted just reaffirmed my resolve to keep asking. Second, how are the shops you visit staying in business, leaving so much money on the table? There must be at least one or two shop owners who could be retired to Tahiti by now if they just realized what they were selling.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow I love them.image
    Great Errors
    Thanks for sharing.
    Smitty
  • Options

<< <i>Some time ago I saw an auction for a mated pair, one coin was just like Marty's new Kennedy except it was a Franklin, and the cent planchet that made the indent was included as well. I'll try to look for the citation tonight. >>

You're thinking about this one. It's not the best comparison, since it's on an obsolete type, and both pieces were retained, and it was the larger coin that was double-struck instead of the smaller, but it's something.

jonathan
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I like that cresent moon cent image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options

Awesome stuff!! Any Cook Island Dong errors?
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    No but there were some off center philippines, mexico and canada coins.

• Options
    Does the guy have more for sale or did you clean him out?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Like I would tell you!

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the holey item you posted last. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    I saw Marty's Error Hoard this weekend when I was at a couple of shows in his area. He SUCKS big time on this one. Very cool coinsimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file