Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My ANA Newp - Columbian Half - Proof.........or just Prooflike?

I bought the following coin at the ANA. It is, in my opinion and according to my research, a Proof Columbian Half. There are Prooflike Columbians known, but this meets the criteria of a legitimate Proof. There were 103 1892 Proofs struck. You like? image

www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!

Comments

• Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    eye

Jade, great looking coin!!!!!!!! I likes...........
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
    hurts
  • Options
    from
    Brad T. Simms
    MCDBA MCSD MCSA

http://www.sqlgeek.org
  • Options
    rlawsharlawsha Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭
    looking
  • Options
    from squinting looking through this loupe
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

My bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R,
    My bologna has a second name it's M-E-Y-E-R.
    I love to eat it every day and if you ask me why I'll say..'cause Oscar Meyer has a way with B_O-L-O-G-N-A.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    at
  • Options

Man, I sure got a lot of responses to this thread! I am going to start posting 1 word threads more often!!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AT? No way...

I dont know if it is a proof but it is not AT....
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous coin; I think it's NT and certainly looks like a proof.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    THAT...................IS...................AWESOME!!!! image

• Options

The fields are fully mirrored, but I had trouble picking up the mirrors without reflections. The devices have a light "frost". I showed the coin to several people who specialize in this area, including some whom have owned multiple examples. The majority say "Proof", whereas a couple said "Prooflike". I may send this one in to get certified. I would probably only grade PF-60 (+/-), due to some hairlines. Does have nice color though!

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Sure looks like a proof to me. Nice squared edges. deep mirror. I will give you 10X face value for it. image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    my opinion if it's not at

ms63 DMPL
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Nice one. Have no idea if a proof or not. I have a ngc MS61PL here you can maybe compare, dont have a reverse photo yet of this one.
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options

The key diagnostic is the strike quality. The ship on the reverse must have full sail lines. Islemangu, how's the strike on your coin (reverse)?

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    The key diagnostic is the strike quality.

Is this the only diagnostic that the grading services would use to determine if it's proof or business strike?
    It looks beautiful to me!!
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a second toning to me and I guess from your comments about hairlining it has been cleaned. Without original sufaces it might never be labeled as a proof. mike
  • Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Columbian. I would say PL from the picture.
    Have a good day, Gary
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    The main sail's base lines on my NGC61PL are much weaker than your coin...I think's it a proofimage
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    One of these is in the small lot of coins my grandfather recently left me. I'll check it tonight.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file