Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hurricane Charley-here we go!-OT

Well, it's the first big hurricane to hit the Gulf coast this year and yours truly is in its direct path! As a Home Depot hardware manager I saw my sales increase seven fold over the last two days. We expect Charley to strike the Tampa area as a category three with sustained winds of up to 130 MPH and 6 to 10 inches of rain. I'm a block away ofrom the intercoastal waterway here in Venice, less than 70 miles from Tampa.

We'll ride this one out at home although it's strarting to get a little scary here. No gas, canned goods, batteries, flashlights, etc.

Wish me luck!

mojo
"I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
-Jim Morrison-
Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com

Comments

• Options
    This belongs in the open forum.

Good Luck.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Thank you Cameron. Yes, it does. But I know you care.image

mojo
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    grab the one you love and hang on tight daddy-o!!!!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Good luck with the hurricane and don't pay any attention to the self appointed forum cop. image

• Options

<< <i>This belongs in the open forum.

Good Luck.

Cameron Kiefer >>

Cameron, you better shut your mouth already, it didn't take long for me to get sick of you.....

Not everybody goes to the open forum, and a hurricane is serious stuff and mojorizn was sharing...

keep you mouth shut cammie, you don't want to deal with fonzie do you?
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Good luck with the Hurricane.image
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    Fonzie doesn't scare me!

I never forgave him for dumping Pinky Tuscadero!

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
    Good luck Major! I live on Harbor Island in Tampa...I have decided to ride this one out. It will certainly be an interesting 24 hours.
  • Options
    Good Luck!! My thoughts are with you!!

Katrina
  • Options
    I care about him and I know huricanes are serious stuff. Thats why I said Good luck. I meant it Lucy.

<< <i>keep you mouth shut cammie, you don't want to deal with fonzie do you? >>

It's 100 degrees here right now and I'm hot. I don't want to say anything that I'll regret and I'm going to log of and chill..... but Lucy don't threaten me with Fonz every time you don't agree with my posts.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    BTW

Good luck with the Hurricane.

and in order to get this thread semi-coin related

"Wow, those waves will wash away tons of sand revealing lots of 8 Real coins...America's first Silver Dollar!"

Pretty good effort at getting this US coin related, eh? image

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    Pinky Tuscadero was hot!

mojo
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

• Options
    well camie was told by fonzie in person if he had the guts to police him... of course cammie wimped out...

sportsdaddy, cammie better shut his trap once and for all, or you can ban me here and now.....

cammie isnt crap here and has no say so about what anybody posts...

cammie..... that last post will be remembered....

see you at a show soon...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck to you and your family.

Keep your head down, but do try to get some pics to post.

Stay safe.
  • Options
    Yes! Gold doubloons and pieces of eight. Get Lordmarcovan down here with his metal detector!

Thanks y'all for the support. We'll be fine! Might lose power for a bit so it might get quiet on my end for a few days.

mojo
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck all and stay safe.

I too am in it's path...although more inland in Orlando. Still, we'll have strong winds in the 75-85 mph and heavy rain.

Get this, my employer expects all of us at work tomorrow. Go figure.

Keeping all of you in my prayers.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    mbcoinmbcoin Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Good Luck over there on the West Coast guys.
    I am here on the East Coast and we are also preparing.
    Schools are already closed. Most big business and offices
    are also closed. DO NOT TAKE THIS LIGHTY. Storms like this
    are very very dangerous.
    Again,
    Be safe.
    Mike
  • Options
    Latest radar summary

Good luck to those in the Charley's path.
  • Options
    When is the last time you heard of Home Depot closing in the middle of the week? I have tomorrow off! First time in six years that's happened.

mojo
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

• Options
    Hang in there it will be over soon!
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ride 'em, Mojo! We'll be watching you on TV.
  • Options
    my sincerest wishes as well for a safe passage...here in Havertown PA last sunday we had 3" in 2 hours, a bad weather cell, and the folks down the street had 2 cars float away and homes flooded, I can't even begin to imagine being in a hurricane belt-good luck!
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    As a matter of fact, I was on TV yesterday on WWSB (ABC) 40. The local news boys showed up and did a live remote from the store. I was the guy loading a generator in the back of some ungrateful guy's truck!image

mojo
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

• Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Good luck mojo.......but take my advice.....if you think you're even close to the direct path,
    LEAVE......after riding Hurricane Hugo out in SC 30 miles from the coast all I can say is you
    don't want to be there.....

GOOD LUCK and let us know how you fare.....take care !!
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    Thanks Steve. If this thing turns into a three before it makes land I'm heading east with the wife and tater tots!

mojo
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

• Options
    SemperFISemperFI Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Hey Mojo,
    I am sure you guys will be fine but be careful. Take some pictures of the storm if you have a digital camera handy and post them so we can see. Once the storm is over go out and get a metal detector. I am sure you will find some neat coins from the old shipwrecks from back in the day.

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm3/charleyirsatellite_large.html
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Mojo, you and the family be safe. We will say a prayer for all you folks in harms way.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Good luck! Hey can you do me a favor and send me some rain? We are opening a new museum in town and a jar of rain would be great to teach our kids that yes..once upon a time water fell from the sky! Of course they won't believe us but we have got to try.
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I grew up and spent most of my life in Madeira Beach (one of the Pinellas beaches) which is one of the areas being evacuated and 3 years ago I moved to NH. It's been almost 80 years since the suncoast had a land falling hurricane. My son lives in Seminole and is away from the storm surge but the winds concern me. All I can hope is that you and my son will come out fine. Stay safe and hope to hear from you when the blow is over.
  • Options
    Good luck, and keep your coins waterproof and safe.
  • Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    Hey mojo,

I'm getting ready myself.I am in Clearwater.Not looking so good for us up here right now.I install air cond. systems for the Home Depot stores up here.Thing were pretty busy today in the stores thats for sure.

All I got left to do is make sure my coins are ready to ride out Charlie.

Randy
  • Options
    Hang in there, Randy! Any hurricane parties your way?

mojo
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

• Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Hold on tight Mojo...

I'm up near Washington DC and they tell us we will be getting 3 - 6 inches of rain on Saturday/Sunday from good old Charlie after you guys are done with him.
    Stay safe and keep us posted!!
  • Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    Mojo
    I probably could have a party.It looks like I am going to end up with quite a few family members staying at my house during the storm.I have a lot of family in the area that are in evac zones and since my house is located on the highest point in the county I was chosen. I guess I could break out the 10,000 wheat pennies that I have a let everybody start searching image

Randy
  • Options
    Good luck Mojo!

I grew up on the East Coast of Florida (Indialantic) and have gone through my share of hurricanes. The worst being David, which threw a tornado through the middle of our house. We were all lucky to survive that one...
  • Options
    My mom is visiting from IL. Talk about poor timing! She'll be staying here with me as they have evacuated the island that her motel was on.

I wonder if Mom drinks beer.image

mojo
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Just hang on!!! It will be over in a day or two!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    Hey Marty! Hope you don't have any AU58's sitting at NGC in Sarasota!

mojo
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Good luck!

We're in Port Charlotte and are as prepared as we can be. They just announced Punta Gorda is strongly recommended to evacuate. We're 2 miles from Charlotte Harbor and across the bridge is PG.

Figured we'd wait till morning to decide whether or not to make a run for it. But now seeing the backed up traffic on 75 and I wonder if we would just get stuck there.

Does anyone know anything about these giant Heritage Oaks? We have 2 of em in front of this house. It was one of the main draws for this part of FLA. These are huge....cannot get my arms around the base. Do they snap branches in 120MPH winds?

Thanks and rgrds
    Tomimage
  • Options
    Ok to keep this quasi coin related. I was unable to clean out the safe completely before the bank closed. I was redoing inventory this week and DID put the bog stuff in the bank box when I heard of good ol charlie forming. And sent several express mails out today. Still........ The police have announced they will not respond to 911 calls after the winds get above 45MPH. So we are on our own.

Yes, I have guns and they are loaded.

Tomimage
  • Options
    Dumb question but why do people ride out hurricanes? I'm from California and I'd never "ride out" an earthquake if I knew it was coming.
    Bill
  • Options

<< <i>Good luck!
    Does anyone know anything about these giant Heritage Oaks? We have 2 of em in front of this house. It was one of the main draws for this part of FLA. These are huge....cannot get my arms around the base. Do they snap branches in 120MPH winds? >>

Damn near anything will snap branches in 120 MPH winds, and a surprising number of big oaks are hollow inside. Not to scare you, just a heads-up.

--

Prayers and best wishes from this newbie to anyone and everyone in Charlie's path. Go wherever you need to be to make sure you and your family are safe. Posessions are a distant second in things to consider. Charley ain't Andrew, but he could still be one mean SOB.
    My coins can beat up your coins.
  • Options
    Thanks Moe, jeez, the trees have been here for over 100 years.

I hope you're wrong.

Rgrds
    Tom
    Port Charlotte
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    Good luck to you, and to all members in the area. May the damage be as minimal as possible.
  • Options
    Thanks Rich!

Rgrds
    Tom
  • Options

<< <i>Fonzie doesn't scare me!

I never forgave him for dumping Pinky Tuscadero! >>

hey, and Pinky was a wicked chick...
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    See you on Troll Island!----------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Moe, jeez, the trees have been here for over 100 years.

I hope you're wrong.
    >>

My father recently purchased a small piece of property which allegedly includes the second-largest post oak in Texas. It's nearly 6 feet in diameter and probably 700-900 years old. In the middle, there's 2-3 foot diameter hole, discovered by the arborists he had come out to look at it.

Still, I hope I'm wrong, too. If your trees are only a century or so old, I almost certainly am. Living wood is concentrated around the outside of a tree, but it takes an awful looong time for the dead stuff in the center to rot since it's so well-protected.

I'd sure like to see all of you Southwest Florida folks posting again on Saturday morning. Here's hoping for the best possible outcome of this bad situation. With any luck, Bonnie helped to cool and stabilze the atmosphere in front of Charley and took some of his steam away.
    My coins can beat up your coins.
  • Options
    About those trees ................... I moved away from Galveston area in '99, for one reason because I was sick of hurricanes. The last bad one I road out was Alicia. We looked out the window at this tree that was bent almost all the way over the house ............ the next day we found it had fallen the OTHER way. The wind just whips them around swirling in all directions. YES branches can snap and trees can be totally uprooted. Be careful. There is no telling which way they will fall once that wind swirls at high speeds - not to mention tornadoes. I will never ride out another one, if I have a choice. Been through too many.

About those parties .......... Everyone wanted to have a 'hurricane party' and they all got drunk. I was the only one who stayed sober, and filled up the bathtub, rolled kids into hallways, etc. Last thing I heard on the radio was "Oh my God, Take cover", then the radio went dead ........ for a week.

Ice was a precious commodity and they were overcharging for it. Payphone lines were longggggggggg, because nobody had phones, and it was HOT - no electricity. Couldn't drink water/contaminated. Hurricanes SUCK! Be safe!!!!!

• Options
    A category one or two isn't too big a deal to ride out if you plan accordingly. Be able to cook outside as you may be without power for a few days. A generator helps alot.

Once it gets to a 3, consider leaving if you have a clear path to get away. A 4 you don't even want to be anywhere near unless you have an underground concrete bunker. I've only known of one 5 and it churned and churned and then turned into south Texas at the border. Stay inside!! I had to venture out into 125 mph winds with higher gusts briefly, only by crawling and holding onto solid objects could I make it, even then it was rough, very rough. The debris is blinding, the rain stings like paintballs and if it lifts you up, you're toast.

I've been through 3 hurricanes and more tornadoes than I can count. I atually kind of like them. I did hunker down with the family and kids through a serious category 3 several years ago. We were more fortunate than most of our neighbors. Had no power for 9 days. Gasoline and potable water were getting mighty rare the last few days.

Don't count on the authorities, you are on your own. Good luck to all in Florida.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file