Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ATTN CAROL: Just to show you that there are wolves out there....even on the boards!!

coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some of you saw that I was selling alot of stuff on the BST. Anyway, after answering a few PM's about coins for sale I get this PM from a member who I will keep confidential.

Hi.
I saw u are online.I got a rare Morgan Dollar for sale.
Interested?

I responded with some large amount of doubt:

It all depends on price. What do you have?

They responded:

I have a raw 1893S Morgan Dollar,in F grade.
If u give me your e-mail,i will e-mail the scans.
I can accept even $600 for it(but in cash).

Now my bs meter was pegged but I thought that I would play along. I countered with:

Do you have any references?

They wrote me back with this:

I have done some trades with user: #####
But i can sell this coin for u on yahoo auctions(i am new user there) if u like that.
If u don't want with yahoo,i agree to receive first 50% of its price.

I have not written back and most likely will not.

For most of us out there this is a blatantly obvious scam. However, there are some newbies out there that might be solicited similarly and I wanted to point out some of the danger signs.

1. There are NO Santa Clauses in numismatics!! A nice fine 1893-S is nearly a 2000$ coin wholesale. If someone is offering you something too good to be true, it usually is.
2. Stay away from people selling raw coins for cash only that you dont know. Obvious? yes. Do people ignore common sense when they see dollar signs. Yes. Enough said.
3. Beware new users on ebay and yahoo. These auction companies DO NOT protect the buyer. Caveat emptor...

If someone has received a similar PM as this, pls PM me with the party who sent it. Perhaps we can get to the bottom of the dung heap and keep the boards a safe place to buy and sell.

Very respectfully,
John

Comments

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I stay away from people that can't write & talk right.
    Thanks for the headsup.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    if I get a pm like that I'll out their name quit, I'm not afraid.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Just to show you that there are wolves out there....even on the boards!!

Please don't confuse with the "Wolfy's" on the boards.image
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    There's a real wolf
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I simply can't find myself dealing seriously with anyone who uses "u" and "r" for three letter words.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it be his ' F ' grade meant "FAIR" instead of 'FINE'? image

peacockcoins

• Options
    I'd play along with them, get the scans - then casually ask for a phone number to discuss a few things before you send payment. THEN get an address, and if they give you a PO Box, tell them that you are UPS'ing it and must have a physical address ................and then BUST THEIR BOOTY! image
  • Options
    >>1. There are NO Santa Clauses in numismatics!!

Actually there is. 2 years ago on Christmas I found 10 1943 DDO Jeffersons in an original roll. Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus
  • Options
    Thank you for the heads up John. I for one tend to give board members the benefit of the doubt. I guess you only need a e-mail address to start posting. It does not take long to see who the good people are. Joe
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He might be legit, but I've been hesitant every time he has contacted me. This is the e-mail I received yesterday from him and my response. If he will have the coin certified, I'm a ready buyer.
    ====================

I saw that u are looking to buy US type coins.
    Well,i got for a while now a Morgan Dollar,year
    1893S(rare)in F for sale.
    Available pics on request.I am in Europe.
    ====

My reply, as always:

Hi,
    Thanks for the offer. But, on coins of this
    nature I only buy them certified.
    Mike
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's amazing what 1893-S Morgan dollars do to otherwise intelligent collectors. I'm amazed that anyone would even consider sending cash to an overseas seller of this ilk.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    If it sounds too good to be true, it is!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Good post John.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    If he PM'd me with the offer I'd simply tell him that since he's new he needs to ship me the coin first and, after I've received it, I'll send payment.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Was it Perro?
    Tim
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Russ, as if he sends the coin, have it certified (by whatever means you choose), then send payment. Bad English is not enough to call it a scam, the low price is, though.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This explains the email I received yesterday "Do u buy Liberty Nickels?".

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>I stay away from people that can't write & talk right. >>

Something like the following?image

<< <i>if I get a pm like that I'll out their name quit, >>

• Options
    I was going to harrass Lucy about that but decided against it. Thanks for taking the hit DCAM!! image
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    yep......we got the same about the 93-s yesterday also.

Offered to buy coin if shipped to us......would provide references....dealers/and collectors.
    No go......only accepts Western Union money order.....DUH !!

We get these at least once a week.....just makes me wonder how many people fall for
    scams like this ??? obvoiusly a few do or it wouldn't continue.

Be careful out there !!
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey John or anyone else who's had an e-mail from this "member"

there is a simple way to respectfully tell who he is. just ask in another thread if anyone is familiar with member ______ and explain the situation. why would you feel compelled to protect the "sanctity of the PM function" for someone you feel is a blatant scammer?? in that fashion, you actually protect him which runs contrary to common sense. it seems clear what he is doing, cruising the various forums and hoping to find a member naive enough to take the bait.

whoever he is, he should at the very least be reported to the administrator who oversees the forums. there's always talk of the forum family, would you let someone take advantage of a sibling just to protect the offenders anonymity?? i think not!!! reason says to tell us who it is and end the hoax.

al h.image
  • Options
    I agree with Keets and don't really understand what John is afraid of...

If this person is really running a scam, out the name and maybe the mods will do away with this person....

I do think we are a 'forum family' and I don't want anybody getting took........
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that it seems illogical to protect an obvious scammer. This isn't a court of law, and the concept of innocence until proven guilty can be stretched too far at times.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Geeze, if you don't want to buy my coin just say so. No need to post it hereimage
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Looks like alot of us agree with Keets!imageimage
  • Options
    On the other side of the coin, to give benefit of the doubt, if the name was told people may say " I have had many good dealings with them". Just a thought. Joe
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like alot of us agree with Keets!imageimage >>

Yeah, I hate when that happens.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like alot of us agree with Keets!imageimage >>

Yeah, I hate when that happens.image >>

imageimage
  • Options
    scammers, shysters, hoodwinkers and dishonest bozo's.......

pm me with that garbaaage.........

i'll list your name and make this board aware of it quick......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    just got my first pm....

scammer number #1 just offered me 20 bucks for my tbird... some stman fellow........
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    shyster #2 just sent a pm.....

he told me what he thought about my frankies..

the pm was signed NCNE????
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    JUST GOT another from a dog97....

heh heh, can't share thise one! image
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    Everyone,

I AM going to do something about it and told Kranky via PM that I am going to contact Carol about it.

I just want to give everyone the benefit of the doubt before I act or slander someones name.

I got the info I needed via PM and now feel very comfortable releasing the name since numerous people have PM'd me about it.

BEWARE of mihaiinforcoins. That is the user and member that I got the note from. It was validated by many people.

I also feel like this is a family here on the boards and will do the necessary tasks to protect it.

V.r,
    John
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I cant write or talk real good and Im not a wolf. Im a bear.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    its hard for Bear to type on the keyboard, he has big claws.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Some of you saw that I was selling alot of stuff on the BST. Anyway, after answering a few PM's about coins for sale I get this PM from a member who I will keep confidential.

Hi.
    I saw u are online.I got a rare Morgan Dollar for sale.
    Interested?"

I know who the culprit (guilty party) is. He has PM'd me the same. But I told him I hated 93-S Morgans
  • Options
    For you Bear: Oversized Keyboards image

-George
    42/92
  • Options
    I received the following email last night:

.....From: "Mihai" <mihaiforgod@yahoo.com>
    .....Date: Tue, February 10, 2004 10:49 pm
    .....U buy US coins?

(I added the dots to make the indentation.)

I told him/her that I wasn't interested...
  • Options
    I think you all did the right thing: bring this to the attention of everybody here on the Forum and also tell us who the scammer is. Kudos!
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • Options

<< <i>BEWARE of mihaiinforcoins. That is the user and member that I got the note >>

I have had many good dealings with them.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭
    I have had many good dealings with them.

Is this a joke?

Joe.
  • Options

<< <i>Is this a joke? >>

Joe,

Read Joe.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that the cat is out of the bag, here are his PMs to me:

1. "Hi there

Got a 1893S Morgan Dollar for sale.Grade: F

Interested?"

2. "What about a half cent,1794,in VF?"

3. "I found in my collection a nice 1893-CC Morgan,grade AU 55+.
    Price is not high.

Mihai"

I asked him to send me scans of the 93-CC and his asking price. He has yet to respond.image
  • Options
    John, tell him you want to meet!

Lucy, tell these guys you did that on purpose!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't this the same guy that was soliciting by PM in the past from India or something like that? He was told to put it on the BST and said he didn't know? Then people were sending him free coins and such. Perhaps I have the wrong person in mind, but I got the same Pm about the 93s and some PM's way back from the same person.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Here is a nice AU note he was offering to me for $120. I think I will pass for now; so its up for grabs for anybody else. Notice the serial number is solid 5's.

Doug

• Options
    A comment left on my site from him...

<<Name: mihaiforgod@yahoo.com
    Remote Name: ##.##.##.###
    Date: 02/10/2004
    Time: 08:16:45 PM

Comments
    Got a 1893s MORGAN DOLLAR,in Fine.

If interested,let me know.

Mihai>>
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Looks like his 1893-S Morgan dropped from MS60 to Fine.

Must have been carrying it in his pocket since then. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    "I also feel like this is a family here on the boards and will do the necessary tasks to protect it.

V.r,
    John"

Thank you John. I've had an uneasy feeling about him for a long time. He used to ask me by PM if I was interested in buying Bulgarian coins. He's from Bulgaria.

" Isn't this the same guy that was soliciting by PM in the past from India or something like that? He was told to put it on the BST and said he didn't know? Then people were sending him free coins and such. Perhaps I have the wrong person in mind, but I got the same Pm about the 93s and some PM's way back from the same person." --stman

I do believe you're talking about a member by the name of Nanda, who always enters giveaways on the Darkside, and although his/her light is frequently on, rarely ever posts for any other purpose. A group of us sent Nanda a bunch of coins last year for free, and I read a few months ago a thread by him where he was thanking people in this forum for helping him nearly complete his US type set from the mid 1850s. All for free. However, I have no reason to suspect Nanda is involved in any scams.

Mihaiiforcoins, on the other hand, is a different story.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file