Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coast to Coast Coins

I read a message awhile back that stated (don't remember who wrote it) that he/she would not deal with Coast to Coast Coins due to the fact that he sold whizzed/cleaned coins as BU. I would like input from all if this is indeed the case or have they had positive dealings with this vendor.
Dave
In Laurel
MD

Just a fist full of Dollars

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have bought from them, but would not again. The coins were cleaned, dipped, whizzed, overgraded, you name it. Some I sent back and they did, to their credit, issue a prompt refund. The ones I kept, wer only because the price was right for what they are, not for what they graded them at.

For the novice, my advice would be to stay away, stay far away, from CtoC.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been reading their CW ads for years & have always wondered why some of the more interesting coins they sell (proof gold, rare dates, etc.) are NEVER, EVER slabbed. Hmmmmm.
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    Bought one time, never again.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    Stay away!image
    Cleaned, whizzed, overgraded coins. I highly recommend avoiding those full page ads in the papers advertising coins as Select BU or Gem BU.
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    I agree with all the previous posters -- stay far away from these people unless you like wasting your money.
  • Options
    Greetings Dollars,
    When I first started collecting, I bought most of my coins from Coast to Coast.
    All coins seemed very nice and shiny to this Newby.
    When I became more educated and decided to get some of the more expensive
    coins graded, I was shocked at the results.
    All that I bought advertised as "Brilliant Uncirculated" came back AU and a couple
    were bodybagged for excessive cleaning !!!
    Of course, since it takes longer than 14 days to get your coins back from the
    grader, Coast to Coast won't let you return them.
    So you're not only paying twice what the coins are worth but grading costs, too !

Do yourself, and your bank account a favor; Don't buy coins from Coast to Coast
    or any other dealer that doesn't sell graded coins until you become expert in
    judging a coin's grade yourself.

Hope this helps. I'm still recovering from the thousands of dollars I lost to them !

Skipper
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    you have to treat mail order coins the same as internet coins sight unseen is a gamble. my best (raw coins) came from shops and shows.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards!image

Stay away from Coast to Coast and your collection will thank you in the years to come.image
  • Options
    I am pretty sure that Coast to Coast was one of shinycoinboy's top five dealers.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, Dollars.

I agree with the advice of all who've posted here. My experiece is similar to Skipper's.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    I bought from them several items as a novice as well........some books, some coin holders and early "bu" lincolns. Most every one was cleaned and i got hammered on the deal. I bought some "bu" Barbers from them as well and they came back from Anacs as cleaned net graded MS-60, back in the day of photograding.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone here ever been threatened or had their comments challenged by C to C or the "other" big ad dealers. Or do they just don their flak jackets and let the comments bounce off knowing that folks have short memories. It would seem that by their failure to defend themselves that most of the negative feedback they get is likely true.
  • Options
    I bought a whizzed proof coin from them once. I returned it promptly for a refund.

Prior to that I bought a "BU" coin for an AU price. The coin was a decent AU so I kept it. But after the whizzed proof I never even looked at their ads again.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭
    Seems like they, and other such dealers, rely on the (ever?) burgeoning supply of well-meaning, neophyte collectors who just don't know any better - yet. Seems an odd way to operate, yet I can't imagine the overall coin market existing without someone, somewhere, offering hyped-up, marginal coins in big, splashy ads. Perhaps its just P.T. Barnum's principles in action.
  • Options

<< <i>I highly recommend avoiding those full page ads in the papers advertising coins as Select BU or Gem BU. >>

Excellent advice. If possible find a good local coin shop if buying coins raw and/or if just starting out in the hobby. That's what I did and I continue to make the majority of my purchases at a local shop.
    Bill
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A slabbed coin must be an oddity for them. I bought an acceptable 3cs in NGC MS66 from them via ebay about 6 months ago. Made out very well on it. But I would concur with the comments on raw coins.
    No newbie should be buying raw coins unless it's from their mother.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    I have bought several modern commemoratives from them with no problems.

Charlieimage
  • Options
    Thank you all for the input. As a newbie I have located the local dealers in my area, got myself a photograde book, a red book and made the trip to many coin shows. I also have not bought any high priced coins. Most of what I have been purchasing is modern coins of value under 25.00. Trying to learn on the low end as it were. As a teacher myself, I am trying to learn from others and their mistakes, victories.

Dave
    In Laurel MD
    Dave
    In Laurel
    MD

• Options

<< <i>I have bought several modern commemoratives from them with no problems.

Charlieimage >>

They were too new to be whizzed, cleaned or messed with. Try buying a Morgan dollar or a "gem BU full red" Indian cent from them and see what happens. image
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone here ever been threatened or had their comments challenged by C to C or the "other" big ad dealers. Or do they just don their flak jackets and let the comments bounce off knowing that folks have short memories. It would seem that by their failure to defend themselves that most of the negative feedback they get is likely true. >>

I suspect it would be too risky for C to C to come after anyone here with a lawsuit, because there's always a chance someone might provide evidence in court that would expose possible fraudulent practices.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Seems to be an overwhelming majority on the opinion on these folks.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope this helps. I'm still recovering from the thousands of dollars I lost to them !

Sorry that happened, Skipper!

My baptism of fire as a newbie was with www.collectorsinternet.com. Vastly over-graded and overpriced Washingtons. All came back 2-4 grades below what they billed, one with PVC damage. Same deal: took to long to get them graded, would not take them back.

Lots of sharks out there, newbies! I wish I'd come here first...
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a coin dealer takes out big full page ads with lots of pictures, BEWARE.image

The chances of getting $crewed are very, very high.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>If a coin dealer takes out big full page ads with lots of pictures, BEWARE.image

The chances of getting $crewed are very, very high.

imageimage >>

Not only that,but someone has to pay for all their overhead,and that person is YOU.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    I agree with most here.

However, there are as select few that are okay. And I would add that L&C Coins is okay.
  • Options
    purchased a morgan, my 1st, listed as choice bu. bodybagged excessive cleaning/whizzed. got caught in the 14 day return. they are well aware that their largest friend/foe are the grading companies, making their return policy worthless. avoid at all costs.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I would never buy a raw coin from them.

To Dave in laurel(Dollars)
    I drive a truck all around your area.If you ever want to meet let me know.Try turning on your allow for private messages feature in your profile.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

They had a special on the entire Euro set when the Euros first were released. All the coins from each country. I'm not much of a collector
    outside U.S. Coins but I thought this would be an interesting set. I first called and asked how the coins were handled as I did not want
    fingerprinted coins. A woman answered and I asked how the coins are shipped. She told me in flips. I then asked how the coins are put
    into the flips & she said, "With our fingers. They have to get in there somehow". Noooooo foolin' genius. I said, "Well do you use gloves
    or put them in bare handed?" She said, "Bare handed." I went into the fingerprint issue & she would not guarantee I would get coins
    without prints. I never bought anything from them.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with most here.

However, there are as select few that are okay. And I would add that L&C Coins is okay. >>

I disagree on L&C. I've tried them a few times, and I've sent everything back except one coin. Even if I specifically said I don't want the coin unless it's problem-free and good for the grade, they send dinged, cleaned garbage.
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    OK, here's a dumb question:

If CTC is as bad as a lot of members have indicated here, how many people have complained to Coin World? I fully realize they are probably one of CW's biggest advertisers, but CW supposedly has a strict ad policy on what goes in their newspaper. I don't doubt for a minute the stories about CTC, but it would seem CW has an obligation to its subscribers to resolve the problems. If CW still got a lot of complaints, they should drop CTC as an advertiser.

Bob

PS: I've never bought anything from them, but they seem to be in the same league as Chattanooga Coin Co.
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I once wrote a letter to CW about accepting ACG's ads. No response, not surprisingly. I thought it was ironic that the issues in which ACG got blasted (PNG survery, Stuppler hearing, and CW grading "test") there were still ACG ads - never a major complaint in 19 years! :.)

Publications live on their advertisers for revenue. I wouldn't expect them to cut an advertiser unless there was outright fraud proven.
  • Options
    Skipper53's story on this post is a duplicate of mine.

I'd add Skyline and Coin Depot...2 other regular Coin World advertisers, to the list as well.
  • Options
    Add to the list of good or bad....

Just tryin to keep up

Dave
    In Laurel
    MD
    Dave
    In Laurel
    MD

• Options

<< <i>OK, here's a dumb question:

If CTC is as bad as a lot of members have indicated here, how many people have complained to Coin World? I fully realize they are probably one of CW's biggest advertisers, but CW supposedly has a strict ad policy on what goes in their newspaper. I don't doubt for a minute the stories about CTC, but it would seem CW has an obligation to its subscribers to resolve the problems. If CW still got a lot of complaints, they should drop CTC as an advertiser.

Bob >>

CW does have a strict policy and they back it up with anonymous shopping of advertisers -- that's where they got the coins they used for their test of the grading services, and anyone could see most of those coins had major problems. The questions that remain unanswered are how many times have they gotten complaints and what have they done?

IMO, dishonest dealers will continue to sell overgraded problem coins to unsuspecting buyers and claim "grading is just a matter of opinion" until a judge tells them to stop and hits them with a major damage award. I can't wait for that to happen. image

Chuck
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Re: L & C. I got an 1838 H10C from them listed at 60. I sent it in for grading. We'll see how it turns out.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    CW does have a strict policy and they back it up with anonymous shopping of advertisers -- that's where they got the coins they used for their test of the grading services, and anyone could see most of those coins had major problems.

Right, but CTC rarely sells graded coins. And if my memory is correct, the CW article on grading didn't mention the sources of purchase. Besides, that's a slabbing problem of the grading services CW addressed. I'd like to see them do something similar with raw coins and name the dealers that they bought from. As pointed out by other folks, CW will most likely never do this due to their dependence on these dealers.

The best clearinghouse of problems with advertisers for all of the coin publications remains this forum! All part of being an informed collector.

Cheers!

Bob
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    I feel like I have wacked a hornets nest. Again thanks for all of the info. I have heard that you don't buy from the full color ads. When I do purchase the coins I have in mind... Bust Dollar, Bust Halfs, I will have looked at many and consulted folks that I have learned to trust. Will never buy from a picture. Would travel for the coin I want.

Dave
    In Laurel
    MD
    Dave
    In Laurel
    MD

• Options
    [qRight, but CTC rarely sells graded coins. And if my memory is correct, the CW article on grading didn't mention the sources of purchase. Besides, that's a slabbing problem of the grading services CW addressed.

Bob >>

Hi, Bob:

Actually, CW did mention in their article on the grading test that the coins they used were bought raw from advertisers as part of their monitoring program. They also noted that nearly all the coins had problems.

Chuck image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of the big mailorder dealers like Coast to Coast, Paul Sims, Foothill, and so on, sell slider coins as "BU". I have not seen anything so harsh as a whizzed piece in my experience (except from Ramapo- they're awful- but they have sent me undergraded coins, too, so...).

You must remember that these folks have to pay for those big, splashy, full-page spreads in the hobby magazines somehow! image

Now, you asked for personal experiences with Coast to Coast, so here is my one-and-only: it was actually positive!

But I bought from them through an eBay auction, bidding on a single coin that I was able to see in a picture first, and moreover, the coin was in an ANACS slab. (1917 Ty. 1 SLQ MS63 FH). I was very pleased with the coin, the customer service, and the price.

Does this mean I would I buy a raw coin sight-unseen from a big mailorder dealer like Coast to Coast? No. But...

On the other hand, it might illustrate the point that many of these bigger mailorder dealers, despite their apparent shortcomings, are not necessarily all bad.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    When I started buying coins again back in the very early 1990's, I used L&C with fairly good results, I thought their prices were a tad high, but everything was as described. (I may have sent back one or two coins). I did use Coast to Coast as well, buying Select BU Buffalo Nickels. I never have had these Buffalos certified, now I'm very leery about doing it. I know that the 25-D, 25-S and 26-D are very weak strikes, but that was to be expected for the price I paid at the time. Everyone "lives and learns". I have to agree with everyone: "Stay away from companies who don't offer certified coins", you'll save alot by not buying from these companies. My worst fear is now having these "Newbie" purchases sent in for grading and getting Body Bags in return.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Stay away, I learned the hard way
    Michael
  • Options
    I recently bought some proof sets from them, can't say anything was wrong there. Of course they were still in the original govt lenses(pretty hard to tamper with those). I have noticed now I am on his mailing list and I keep getting these flyers for a bunch of expensive, raw coins. After reading what I have here, would never buy anything raw from this guy. Sounds like a crook, thanks guys you probably saved me from getting ripped off someday. Live and learn! Guess back to searching for a good dealer to do business with. Anyone have any suggestions, prefer someone who deals in US coins, good prices and reputable!! I have bought on Ebay alot but it's really a crap shoot, never know all the time if the person might try to pass off inferior material. I am fairly new to the coin hobby and don't want to make a bunch of stupid mistakes and get ripped off. imageimage
  • Options
    I just looked at some of the "gem BU" coins I bought from them a few years back and boy did I screw up! I should have learned about cleaning first before purchasing anything. Thanks to all of the members who share pictures and opinions on the forum, it's so obvious now when I look at these Coast to Coast coins how awful they really are. Oh well, chalk it up as education.image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave - Glad to hear you're "only" a teacher. Before you said so, I would have bet that you were an attorney working for Coast to Coast. One day, the bashers are in for a rude awakening...
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    As far as complaining to Coin World, I did once. They (Coin World) look for specific examples.

CTC and the other raw dealers get around it by saying that grades are subjective and their opinion.
  • Options
    A few years ago I purchased 2 1915 Panama Pacific half dollars from Coast to Coast Coins. They were running a special on them. They were priced good. PCGS "body bagged" both: one was cleaned and the other was a struck copy. They refunded my money for the fake coin after I returned it. They clean all of their coins!!

• Options
    to Stampsandcoins,
    i've been dealing with David Lawrence Rare Coins lately.
    They've got a great website with lots of photos of graded coins, many PCGS.
    Prices are about average but I've got a few good deals.
    Delivery for website orders is free.
    Hope this helps.

Skipper
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Boy are you folks picky. This company goes to all the trouble of cleaning your coins for you

and removing all those nasty germs and viruses and all you do is complain.image

Afterall, who would want an origonal toned satin luster, when you can have a bright and shiney polished coin.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file